All Ireland Hurling Championship 2007

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 13, 2006, 01:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

For all the hurling folk, just to get the ball rolling for some discussion.

youbetterbelieveit

MUNSTER SHC
Quarter-final
Clare v Cork

Semi-Finals
Waterford v Clare/Cork
Tipperary v Limerick

LEINSTER SHC
Quarter-Final
Offaly v Laois

Semi-Finals
Kilkenny v Offaly/Laois
Dublin v Wexford

No Ulster draw made as of yet, due to the uncertainty of New York and also the possible inclusion of Armagh.

tayto

I'm hoping Dublin can improve again next year and have a real crack at Wexford, Still a very very young Dublin team but we should be improve with every game and hopefully the lads will learn a lot for a Division One campagin. Cork are still the team to beat in Munster, Tipp and Waterford will take some beating.

AZOffaly

Please God we can get over Laois, and give the Cats a much better game than our last meeting. Last year proved to be a bit of a flop after a promising league campaign, hopefully they are going in the right direction though. I think we are. It was great to see Brian Mullins, Rory Hanniffy, Gary Hanniffy, David Franks and Joe Bergin play well for Leinster in the Railway Cup win, so hopefully they can start believing they can hold their own in any company. Joe Bergin scored 1-3 from play, and the other lads all acquitted themselves well.

tayto

Definitely signs of improvement in Offaly alright, despite the relative lack of recent underage success.

Here's hoping one of Dublin, Wexford and/or Offaly can get to the level where we can upset the Cats from time to time, preferably all three!

youbetterbelieveit

Ya Leinster really needs all the teams competitive, i think it is a pity that Westmeath went straight back down, they proved they can hurl.
I would love to see Dublin give Wexford a good game, they are probably a year or two away yet on a real break through.

My own county, Limerick, are back in training at the end of the month, the good news is the return of Peter lawlor, he was badly missed last year, and if we can find one or two more players i believe a munster final appearance is a real possibility.

aontroim abu

A while back Sambo reckoned that it would be better for Antrim and leinster  if we went into the Leinster championship. obviously this would be detrimental to Ulster Hurling and the work the ulster council are doing. any views??

tayto

Quote from: aontroim abu on November 13, 2006, 02:45:15 PM
A while back Sambo reckoned that it would be better for Antrim and leinster  if we went into the Leinster championship. obviously this would be detrimental to Ulster Hurling and the work the ulster council are doing. any views??

As someone mentioned on another forum, there is definately an arguement for keeping the Munster championship as is and creating a CUL [Connacht, Ulster and Leinster] championship with Galway and Antrim and the strong Leinster counties. Could be of real benifit to everyone involved at all age groups. 

aontroim abu

While i do agree with Antrim entering the leinster champ. and trying to win a title down there, how would you then manage the AI championships/

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: aontroim abu on November 13, 2006, 04:21:34 PM
While i do agree with Antrim entering the leinster champ. and trying to win a title down there, how would you then manage the AI championships/
Leinster finalists go straight into the All-Ireland quarter finals and the rest go into the qualifiers, as per current structures (or is it up for change this year???).
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

tayto

Exactly. You couldnt have Antrim and Galway in it and still call it the Leinster championship ... could you? ... Brennan said there was a mood for more radical change when the recent changes were ratified. He told counties to bring motions to congress next year. It will be interesting.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: tayto on November 13, 2006, 04:44:49 PM
Exactly. You couldnt have Antrim and Galway in it and still call it the Leinster championship ... could you?
Just call the competition after the name already on the cup, the Bob O'Keefe Cup or the Bob O'Keefe Championship.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

an caman

I think it would also be beneficial to Antrim underage development for our minors to also enter the Leinster championship, giving them potentially more competitive games rather than the clear miss-matches which have taken place the last few years in the ulster minor championship.

tayto

Very true, especially given the quality of some of the recent Antrim underage teams.

youbetterbelieveit

ya, Antrim minors should definitely be placed in with the Leinster teams, they have been strong for the last number of years, it was probably that lack of quality games that cost them when playing the big teams in all ireland semi finals, so the extra games would be very beneficial.

Sure arent Antrim in the Leinster pre-season cup (cant remember the name.) so the leinster championship shouldnt be a stretch.