Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Agreed, if I hear Graham referred to as a Championship manager one more time, I think my head will bust. Of course it was a fantastic achievement to win Ulster but the final win, which I would class as faultless regardless of where Donegal eyes were, glossed over a lot of very poor play from us over the campaign up to that and very slack game management from opposition. Plus some of the the worst beatings we have taken in Championship over a long number of years have been under this management team.

You are indeed correct Westside when you remind the remit under which the job was taken. All grand notions before a ball is kicked but all the excuses to beat the band once the final whistle blows. In that regard he talks more shite than Mattie McGleenan, at least the Tyrone man had far less excuses to come up with in the League. But it goes to show once you have the name of rising early you can lie in bed all day.

In his defence, I'm not sure he's fully in control of things there. Some of the decisions don't make sense and are not consistent with what they say they're trying to achieve long term. It all points to a bit of chaos behind the scenes. But worst case scenario, he's a lucky general at any rate and sometimes that's as good as any. Just hope he's kept some for July, we are going to need a lot of it.

Itchy

Alright lads, let's not fill the togs just yet. I was reading some gobshite on boards.ie saying Mickey shouldn't have discarded "Seanie" and should be talking to Martin Dunne and Shane Tierney. f**k me. Anyway it's not ideal to be staying in Div3 but let's not forget Mickey Graham has lost 1 game in 8 in Ulster since he took over, NO manager since Mick Higgins in the 60s done that. I think we need to have a bit more faith in the man and even if this yr doesn't go well I'll be giving him a pass and next yr to get at it again next year.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2021, 07:35:17 PM
Alright lads, let's not fill the togs just yet. I was reading some gobshite on boards.ie saying Mickey shouldn't have discarded "Seanie" and should be talking to Martin Dunne and Shane Tierney. f**k me. Anyway it's not ideal to be staying in Div3 but let's not forget Mickey Graham has lost 1 game in 8 in Ulster since he took over, NO manager since Mick Higgins in the 60s done that. I think we need to have a bit more faith in the man and even if this yr doesn't go well I'll be giving him a pass and next yr to get at it again next year.
Was there not enough assumptions made before Derry game? Who says we're staying in Div3?

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on May 30, 2021, 07:56:12 PM
Was there not enough assumptions made before Derry game? Who says we're staying in Div3?
I say we will stay in Division 3. Did you have a memory black out since last year? You are like a vulture circling. Total over reaction your last post but at least you didn't call for the hero seanie to return and a long list of other failed County footballers with no ulster medal.

Westside

No need to panic for sure. It's a bad year to judge them on this league. A full uninterrupted league will tell us more.

Martin Dunne jesus wept. He also raised serious questions about why Danny Cusack didnt mark McGuigan instead of the All Star full back.

Still think there are questions over management on the panel and team selection and inability to develop a functioning full forward line.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on May 30, 2021, 09:16:42 PM

No need to panic for sure. It's a bad year to judge them on this league. A full uninterrupted league will tell us more.

Martin Dunne jesus wept. He also raised serious questions about why Danny Cusack didnt mark McGuigan instead of the All Star full back.

Still think there are questions over management on the panel and team selection and inability to develop a functioning full forward line.

In fairness its another bonkers year. 4 weeks from collective training to league start, very hard to do something fundamentally different in that time frame. I expect Graham not showing his hand either.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2021, 09:13:17 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on May 30, 2021, 07:56:12 PM
I say we will stay in Division 3. Did you have a memory black out since last year? You are like a vulture circling. Total over reaction your last post but at least you didn't call for the hero seanie to return and a long list of other failed County footballers with no ulster medal.
What are you on about? That makes no sense whatsoever? Vulture? Memory Blackout? Seanie? Think you are mistaking me for someone else.

Total overaction last post? We still have to play Wicklow to stay in Div3. Am I missing something, have they forfeited the game or what?
If we don't concede goals we should have enough to win. If they nick a few I don't know what will happen. Nor you. The prospect of relegation will be water off a ducks back to these Wicklow boys. If our lads on the other hand get dragged into a dogfight they are not mentally prepared for, who knows. We haven't exactly being coming out of the traps like a greyhound.

Dreadnought

Think there's a few losing the run of themselves here. Is it disappointing to stay (at a minimum) in Division 3, yes of course it is. But this was a really silly setup of a league, where our 2 main opponents in Div 3 North got a huge head start by being allowed to train and play challenges over 4 weeks earlier than us by simply being in the North. And saying all that, we lost 2 very tight games while playing poorly, still finding our game, and still getting up to speed. If things were even, or at least if each Division split was evenly (North was far stronger than South) we'd be in a far better place. But it's not, that's the hand we were dealt and we actually didn't do too bad considering we were a month behind our main opponents. Fermanagh got all the luck. Caught us cold at home first day out when we only had 4 weeks work done, got hockeyed, then got Longford at home too and yet they barely fell over the line in what was meant to be their fortress against the supposedly weakest team in the group. That's their huge luck there.

And we clearly also suffered with injuries. Graham also used the opportunity to try out young fellas and different positions that will be to our benefit longer term. Of course I hoped all the above could have been done and we'd still be playing in a semi for promotion in a few weeks, but we're not. As much of that could be put down to the format of this league which clearly was a joke. Move on, aim for Championship, and get out of Division 3 next year when it will be a properly set out league where you will clearly get the best teams over 7 games. For all that we saw of Derry and Fermanagh, both went hell for leather early, and not sure either will have the slightest impact on the Ulster championship. Not saying we will either, but we're clearly aiming to peak for then, not for now like they did.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 31, 2021, 11:10:21 AM
Think there's a few losing the run of themselves here. Is it disappointing to stay (at a minimum) in Division 3, yes of course it is. But this was a really silly setup of a league, where our 2 main opponents in Div 3 North got a huge head start by being allowed to train and play challenges over 4 weeks earlier than us by simply being in the North. And saying all that, we lost 2 very tight games while playing poorly, still finding our game, and still getting up to speed. If things were even, or at least if each Division split was evenly (North was far stronger than South) we'd be in a far better place. But it's not, that's the hand we were dealt and we actually didn't do too bad considering we were a month behind our main opponents. Fermanagh got all the luck. Caught us cold at home first day out when we only had 4 weeks work done, got hockeyed, then got Longford at home too and yet they barely fell over the line in what was meant to be their fortress against the supposedly weakest team in the group. That's their huge luck there.

And we clearly also suffered with injuries. Graham also used the opportunity to try out young fellas and different positions that will be to our benefit longer term. Of course I hoped all the above could have been done and we'd still be playing in a semi for promotion in a few weeks, but we're not. As much of that could be put down to the format of this league which clearly was a joke. Move on, aim for Championship, and get out of Division 3 next year when it will be a properly set out league where you will clearly get the best teams over 7 games. For all that we saw of Derry and Fermanagh, both went hell for leather early, and not sure either will have the slightest impact on the Ulster championship. Not saying we will either, but we're clearly aiming to peak for then, not for now like they did.
I give up at this stage. No offence Dreadnought but yet more conjecture from you. I don't see anyone losing the run of themselves but I see a lot of heads in the sand and flimsy excuses. I prefer to trust what my eyes have seen if it's all the same to you.

So the Derry game wasn't in fact the one we were aiming for and where the real Cavan would stand up like you predicted, it was Tyrone after all. Can't wait but I wish people would stop taking Wicklow for granted. Personally I'd settle if we peak for that game.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Look-Up! on May 31, 2021, 12:10:39 PM

I give up at this stage. No offence Dreadnought but yet more conjecture from you. I don't see anyone losing the run of themselves but I see a lot of heads in the sand and flimsy excuses. I prefer to trust what my eyes have seen if it's all the same to you.

So the Derry game wasn't in fact the one we were aiming for and where the real Cavan would stand up like you predicted, it was Tyrone after all. Can't wait but I wish people would stop taking Wicklow for granted. Personally I'd settle if we peak for that game.
No head in the sand here. I said I'm disappointed, but if you look realistically at even half of the reasons on a lopsided North group then you'd see it's been odd. And we were not far away in those games either. And I'll reserve judgement until championship, that is the be all. Leagues are for playing, championships are for winning. Which is what Graham has already shown with his record so far in both. We do need to get better, clearly, but I'd rather if we aimed for the top in ulster, not last week.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 31, 2021, 12:15:16 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on May 31, 2021, 12:10:39 PM

No head in the sand here. I said I'm disappointed, but if you look realistically at even half of the reasons on a lopsided North group then you'd see it's been odd. And we were not far away in those games either. And I'll reserve judgement until championship, that is the be all. Leagues are for playing, championships are for winning. Which is what Graham has already shown with his record so far in both. We do need to get better, clearly, but I'd rather if we aimed for the top in ulster, not last week.
I hope you're right Dreadnought but I completely disagree with your sentiments  :). Leagues are for building and expanding and gaining confidence, no serious championship outfit should be struggling where we are. Nor have I seen a trend in other groups where Northern teams gained any advantage from odd year.
As for Fermanagh, they are a young inexperienced side but even at their peak always struggled against us. We had a full month to prepare for them and were all out to beat them. All in house games were setup with them in mind. Starting team was already made up weeks in advance of match with little chance given to anyone else to impress. Second team had to setup like Fermanagh with everyone behind the ball and no chance for 2nd players to play their own game or show something different that might add to team or enhance their chance of selection. These are the facts, put whatever spin on it you like.

rodney trotter

If the other group was so weak,Tipperary would have got through to the Semis. Tipperary needed extra time last year to beat Limerick in Munster. Offaly are improving under Maughan and I think they'll beat Fermanagh in Tullamore. Niall McNamee still a class act off the bench.

Dreadnought

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 01, 2021, 09:00:23 PM
If the other group was so weak,Tipperary would have got through to the Semis. Tipperary needed extra time last year to beat Limerick in Munster. Offaly are improving under Maughan and I think they'll beat Fermanagh in Tullamore. Niall McNamee still a class act off the bench.
Yeah I get you, but it clearly was completely unbalanced. The North had the 2 teams that came down from Division 2, along with the 3rd and 4th team from 2020 in the group. South had the 2 promoted teams from Division 4 and the teams who finished 5th and 6th in Division 3 last year. By any measure of weighting on prior league position, it was completely lopsided. Not saying they were weak by any means, but that was a shabby way to divide up a Division

rodney trotter

It was unfortunate, but was the hand Cavan were dealt with.
The Fermanagh game was  poor quality. They deserved the win, but it was good exhibition of free taking from Sean Quigley. 
Cavan losing James Smith before half time  was a turning point, as it looked like Cavan were getting in control

They should have been more ready for Derrys  fast start ,from watching them in the previous 2 games.

Dreadnought

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 02, 2021, 02:58:19 PM
It was unfortunate, but was the hand Cavan were dealt with.
The Fermanagh game was  poor quality. They deserved the win, but it was good exhibition of free taking from Sean Quigley. 
Cavan losing James Smith before half time  was a turning point, as it looked like Cavan were getting in control

They should have been more ready for Derrys  fast start ,from watching them in the previous 2 games.
Yeah I agree there. The Fermanagh game had the hallmarks of an ambush. They were ahead of us on training and matches being in the North. They showed from the loss to Derry and scraping a draw with Longford that they're not great. All went right for them on the day, and not for us, and the likes of Quigley with the frees got them the win. Fair play to them