Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on May 25, 2021, 09:00:47 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on May 25, 2021, 08:21:34 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on May 24, 2021, 06:32:28 PM
I suppose next week will tell the tale. I just worry when I hear Derry almost being dismissed as Div 4 opposition and talk of us as Ulster Champions. The Polo Grounds will have as much bearing on next week as the Athletic Grounds.

The plan for 2021 was to hit the ground running and build on last year. Longford and Fermanagh, though always tough opposition were must win games. There's no spin on it to paint what we've seen so far as anything other than a massive let down. Derry were in the same boat going into the season and have kept with the script. We need to snap out of our lethargy and get with the programme quick. I worry with what I've seen so far. I haven't seen too much building on last year. A lot of lads blooded last year seem to have been discarded and we're back to blooding kids. There's also the question marks over injuries and discipline. Depending on team available and referee, player indifference and a couple of black cards (not out of the question), I wouldn't be too dismissive of a hiding. We got one last year off Armagh.

Maybe I'm worrying too much but a massive step up is needed for next week. Derry have the bit between the teeth and will be all out for a win. If the shoe was on the other foot we would be looking to give them a lesson and keep momentum for the playoffs. Teams lose all the time and Derry are a decent outfit so I'll not be too unforgiving if we lose as long as we put in a big performance in a quality game. Anything less than that and we're sleep walking towards relegation.

It's not unthinkable for a team to free fall from top to bottom division. It has happened very recently to both Westmeath and Derry. And if we think we're too good for it to happen to us then all the ingredients will be there. If Derry trim us and Longford don't get us out of jail, then we could be going to somewhere like Limerick God forbid, a not too happy hunting ground for us. And if we're marching to the tune of "we are the Ulster Champions yes we are", then I'd be watching from behind the sofa.

I think you're being unduly negative, especially with a number of factors to think of first. Derry are way further down the line than us this season. With regulations in the North, they've been training and played challenges far longer this season than us (and beyond that too if you listen to rumours). But even so, they look to be peaking early. Graham has always said League is a means to an end, but that he's not peaking for it. Sure we want to win, but you can see he's tried out a lot of new players, positions and so on. He'll be aiming for Tyrone and no further. Let others go hell for leather and peak for the league.

And saying that, Derry haven't been tested yet. Those wins by that margin don't mean much, as they haven't been in a 70+ minute match yet. They haven't been in a fight yet, so we don't know what they'll be like when a team actually fronts up against them. Make no mistake that Cavan will be a different level to what they've faced in a while. We've been getting better, getting back up to speed after the highs last year and learning about ourselves again, while they've not even been tested yet. There's a reason Cavan are still slight favourites with the bookies once you look at all factors. Derry are also already through to the semis bar a huge point swing and other things that won't happen. You might even see them ease up and try a few new players themselves. Cavan's need is greater, and all things considered it'll be close based on a number of factors.

Bookies have Cavan as marginal favourites. I would agree with your assessment there Dreadnought. I just hope Mickey is respecting this game as I personally do think getting out of Div3 should be a priority for us
In fairness, I do too. I was devastated we got relegated last year, I do think we need to be up in the top 2 divisions at all times. I think Mickey will respect it. This has all the hallmarks of a championship game as there is so much more on the line than a usual league game. I feel we will see what we're really about this weekend, and we're gearing upwards, improving all the time. Think we're getting to a good place

Look-Up!

We are where we are and the only way we can put things right is through our next match but I don't see the unduly negative in what I've said. If everyone is honest with themselves promotion and winning the league trophy was expected as a minimum from a lot of the posters on here.

We're not exactly off track yet but Saturday is massive and Derry are formidable. They are a team on the up, have some very good young players coming into their prime and will not be taking the foot off the gas. They ran Armagh very close last year, a team who are not exactly embarrassing themselves in Division 1 at present. I don't see how their performances against Longford or Fermanagh can be viewed any other way than as a team operating at a far higher level than us at present.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Look-Up! on May 25, 2021, 12:46:02 PM
We are where we are and the only way we can put things right is through our next match but I don't see the unduly negative in what I've said. If everyone is honest with themselves promotion and winning the league trophy was expected as a minimum from a lot of the posters on here.

We're not exactly off track yet but Saturday is massive and Derry are formidable. They are a team on the up, have some very good young players coming into their prime and will not be taking the foot off the gas. They ran Armagh very close last year, a team who are not exactly embarrassing themselves in Division 1 at present. I don't see how their performances against Longford or Fermanagh can be viewed any other way than as a team operating at a far higher level than us at present.
I just can't agree with your last line there. On what basis are you saying this? 2 thrashings? That tells us precisely nothing, other than they got a good start and held on and piled on more scores on teams that practically had given up by then. It is worthless in what it tells us nothing about their conditioning, fitness, ability to take clutch scores, ability to go into the red for 70+ minutes, playing when under pressure etc. Derry are playing well, no doubt about it, but Longford and Fermanagh away from Brewster are nothing to crow about just yet. Lets be honest, Cavan have players that have been at and can get to a higher level and they'll not get things so easy. They'll know they're in a fight in this match and won't just get to rack up a lead away from home and then cruise home on it. They've not shown that level of play against a team close to them or bigger just yet. I really hope they're thinking like you on Saturday, as we'll beat them if they think they've have it easy and as good as those 2 matches...

I'm by no means saying Cavan will win by the way, but we've been tested and dug deep, and I'm confident we can put in a performance and can either match or go above Derry which we've shown we're capable off. It'll be close anyway

Look-Up!

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 25, 2021, 02:44:47 PM

I just can't agree with your last line there. On what basis are you saying this? 2 thrashings? That tells us precisely nothing, other than they got a good start and held on and piled on more scores on teams that practically had given up by then. It is worthless in what it tells us nothing about their conditioning, fitness, ability to take clutch scores, ability to go into the red for 70+ minutes, playing when under pressure etc. Derry are playing well, no doubt about it, but Longford and Fermanagh away from Brewster are nothing to crow about just yet. Lets be honest, Cavan have players that have been at and can get to a higher level and they'll not get things so easy. They'll know they're in a fight in this match and won't just get to rack up a lead away from home and then cruise home on it. They've not shown that level of play against a team close to them or bigger just yet. I really hope they're thinking like you on Saturday, as we'll beat them if they think they've have it easy and as good as those 2 matches...

I'm by no means saying Cavan will win by the way, but we've been tested and dug deep, and I'm confident we can put in a performance and can either match or go above Derry which we've shown we're capable off. It'll be close anyway
It's very simple, it's going on current form. Come Saturday evening we can reassess form again as it can swing wildly in league but at the minute they are the form team. We played exactly the same teams so to brush them off as untested and us as battle hardened is ridiculous.
They may hit a wall, they may only be warming up, we might perform as we have been so far or we might up it massively, we'll know better after the weekend. But as it stands a major improvement from us is needed.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Look-Up! on May 25, 2021, 03:32:34 PM

It's very simple, it's going on current form. Come Saturday evening we can reassess form again as it can swing wildly in league but at the minute they are the form team. We played exactly the same teams so to brush them off as untested and us as battle hardened is ridiculous.
They may hit a wall, they may only be warming up, we might perform as we have been so far or we might up it massively, we'll know better after the weekend. But as it stands a major improvement from us is needed.
You're missing my point. Sure they were the same teams, but they were clearly not the same games. Derry had next to nothing to do bar the start in both games, and could coast on a lead. Cavan were in a battle from the off against Fermanagh, and although stretched the lead at times v Longford, Longford came back into it and we had to work hard the whole game to finish them off. The 2 games so far for Derry and Cavan could not have been more different. Who do you think learned more about themselves in those games? Don't think Derry would anyway. And ask Mickey Graham at this stage which type of games he wants in his league, and I'm sure he'd say 2 battles, rather than 2 facile wins. My point is that Graham uses the league for learning. And we've done that so far. Next week has the look of a championship match with something at stake for us (although not as much for Derry) so we should see us wanting it more, and our natural progression through the league should see us getting stronger again. I think we'll sneak it.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 25, 2021, 04:16:26 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on May 25, 2021, 03:32:34 PM

You're missing my point. Sure they were the same teams, but they were clearly not the same games. Derry had next to nothing to do bar the start in both games, and could coast on a lead. Cavan were in a battle from the off against Fermanagh, and although stretched the lead at times v Longford, Longford came back into it and we had to work hard the whole game to finish them off. The 2 games so far for Derry and Cavan could not have been more different. Who do you think learned more about themselves in those games? Don't think Derry would anyway. And ask Mickey Graham at this stage which type of games he wants in his league, and I'm sure he'd say 2 battles, rather than 2 facile wins. My point is that Graham uses the league for learning. And we've done that so far. Next week has the look of a championship match with something at stake for us (although not as much for Derry) so we should see us wanting it more, and our natural progression through the league should see us getting stronger again. I think we'll sneak it.
I know exactly what you're saying but it's conjecture. Maybe Derry are untested for a reason. And the score line flattered us against a less experienced Fermanagh. 

You said you hope Derry are thinking along the same lines as me. Well I hope Graham is thinking the same. So we'll agree on that, next week needs to be taken as a championship match.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Look-Up! on May 25, 2021, 04:26:49 PM
I know exactly what you're saying but it's conjecture. Maybe Derry are untested for a reason. And the score line flattered us against a less experienced Fermanagh. 

You said you hope Derry are thinking along the same lines as me. Well I hope Graham is thinking the same. So we'll agree on that, next week needs to be taken as a championship match.

Hopefully so, and with what's at stake, I hope Graham has them taking this one as championship. As a win can lead to a semi, a final, and then Tyrone. There's a nice trajectory there and if they now start aiming towards that

Itchy

Unfortunately I believe Holla is out for the season. Smith had concussion.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on May 26, 2021, 09:32:59 AM
Ah you're kidding? Did think Holla looked bad when he went down. What's the injury? I'd imagine Smith will be back after this week then...

Itchy

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 26, 2021, 10:08:02 AM
Quote from: Itchy on May 26, 2021, 09:32:59 AM
Ah you're kidding? Did think Holla looked bad when he went down. What's the injury? I'd imagine Smith will be back after this week then...

I heard cruciate but I wouldnt take that as gospel. But whatever it is it is not good.

Westside

Gutted for Ciaran Brady if that's true. A key player for us. With him and Smith out next weekend it gets much harder.

Look-Up!

Very bad news if true not just for weekend but long term. Always a difficult injury to return from especially when hitting later 20s. Smith will be a loss around the middle too if unavailable.

Derry, from what little I know of them, seem very strong around the middle, are sound defensively and have strong runners through the middle. So those two players we could be doing with. They might be in transition and only building so are no world beaters yet but they seem to be a coming team. The kick up the arse they got from dropping to Division 4 may have been the catalyst for them to finally get their house in order. They are very strong at colleges, very strong club scene, have been in 4 of the last 5 minor finals winning 2 (were at semi stage last year before cancellation) and 3 of the last 4 U20/1 finals winning 1. I'd imagine Division 2 is their minimum target and Gallagher would have no love for us.

Hopefully the rumours on Holla are not as serious as that but either way we can rule him out for weekend. Timoney or Murray may get the nod and if Thomas Galligan is available we should have a decent starting team. Fortune another option and if fit G Smith would be a big addition. Assuming most of those available it would be good to see Galligan starting in the middle and wouldn't be surprised to see some shuffling of positions, maybe Clarke out to half backs, O Kiernan possibly to half forwards. Whatever the positions we'll be looking to contain and break with speed but it will be vital for us to stop their runners. Gunner I'd imagine will have a big role to play. It will be very tough too for our inside forwards but we will be relying on Lynch for frees and whatever else he can muster from play but I doubt there'll be very much space in there. We'll probably look to get most of our scores from running through. Would be great to see us nick a few goals, think that's lacking from our game. Galligan always seems to be busier than his opposite number.

Itchy

Well if you can believe the team listed in the program none of our missing big guns are back this weekend which means we are up against it today.

Look-Up!

Result no real surprise yesterday. We put in a good effort, never gave up and looked the more wily team which kept us in it but Derry much better footballing team, much more positive in their approach to game, more mobile and superior forwards. Should have been 10 up inside first quarter, Galligan kept us in it yet again. We eventually settled plus with a bit of Derry naivety and wastefulness we inexplicably found ourselves in front coming up to half time. But you always felt Derry had another gear in them. Timing of the goals were very good for us, the second one especially coupled with the chance afterwards could have stole it but would have been very much against the run. Big shout out to Martin Reilly for his role in two goals, great ball in for first one and very brave on second one but it is a worry the only way we look like hitting the onion bag is from Hail Marys in.

So a Division 4 relegation playoff it is and we are there very much on merit. Don't know where it is yet but Wicklow in Wicklow is no gimmie. We probably should have enough for them. They like ourselves are not exactly free scoring and struggle to surpass the 13/14 score mark but I think we should be able to do a bit better on our average against them and as long as we keep their goal count down, survive another year in Division 3.

Pretty shambolic preparation really for Championship, would not be confident at all. In fact we've regressed badly under this management in League, have failed to develop attacking play, have failed to develop forwards and I can't for the life of me figure out plan B. Doubt there is one TBH, apart from lumping it into the square if chasing a game. Most other scores from 40 yards or 50 if there's a gale blowing. Doubt it'll be enough in Omagh.

Westside

Looking at Monaghan v Tyrone yesterday; the movement of their forwards, the lines they run, the urgency they show when they collect the ball inside is just light years ahead of our own.

This notion that Mickey only cares about championship is nonsense. If we lose to Tyrone that's the year over and the best we will have to show for it is a victory over Longford at home.

Mickey said he wanted to leave Cavan in a position where we could consistently compete with the top teams. As it stands, our attacking game plan looks more at home in Division 4 and players are being cycled through without much rhyme or reason. We have won 5 league games in 3 years is it? And are one loss away from a drop to Division 4 after being in Division 1 when he took over. The Ulster win can't be argued with but the overall trajectory of the side is not good.