GAA in Britain

Started by BennyHarp, June 20, 2007, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendans abu

We were understrength but even still we were shocking. Peter's were outstanding though and played some great football. Probably not much of a match for a neutral to watch after the 2 good games we had in the last few months.

Think Oisins thought all they had to do was turn up, heard a few of them were out on Saturday night, think they were also missing a couple of players as well.

Ann's had there full strength team for the first time all year, it was  most of there lads first game of the year.

inisceithleann

The second round of the Senior Championship took place this afternoon. The Peter's V Lawrence's game was a poor enough affair. Peter's missed a lot of frees in the first half, but Lawrence's kept competing and to be honest could have scored more than the three goals they did get. In the other two games, Brendan's bounced back well against Ann's, which they deserve a lot of credit for given the hammering they took last weekend. Down in Liverpool, Mitchel's had a fairly easy victory against Oisin's. They remain the team to beat. As for Oisins, they'll have to start picking up some points to make sure they are competing in the latter stages of the competition.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

BennyHarp

Quote from: inisceithleann on June 28, 2009, 09:52:30 PM
The second round of the Senior Championship took place this afternoon. The Peter's V Lawrence's game was a poor enough affair. Peter's missed a lot of frees in the first half, but Lawrence's kept competing and to be honest could have scored more than the three goals they did get. In the other two games, Brendan's pounced back well against Ann's, which they deserve a lot of credit for given the hammering they took last weekend. Down in Liverpool, Mitchel's had a fairly easy victory against Oisin's. They remain the team to beat. As for Oisins, they'll have to start picking up some points to make sure they are competing in the later stages of the competition.

Its a funny old senior championship over there this year - how can st annes hammer oisins one week and then lose to st brendans the next - as you say inisceithleann, i'd be surprised if john mitchells dont win it again!

On another note, london beat warwickshire in the junior inter county champoionship. The draw for the semi final next sunday is Yorkshire v Lancashire 2pm and London v Scotland at 3.30pm - both games at Old Bedians, should be interesting!!
That was never a square ball!!

Brendans abu

I was suprised to hear Peter's drew with Lawrences, I was expecting a comfortable victory from Peter's, was told their perfromance was well below the previous weeks.

Our game was very scrappy in the first half, we went 1-1 up in the first 10 minutes but didn't score again until the 2nd half. Half time score 1-1 to 0-3, we took control in the second half and went 7 points clear going into the final 5 minutes before Ann's got a late goal.

Still think Oisins will come good, along with Mitchell's and Peter's they'll make the semi's. Expect our game with Lawrences to be crucial.

But who knows there's been a few suprises already this year, all the Manchester teams are well capable of beating each other.

inisceithleann

Quote from: Brendans abu on June 29, 2009, 07:03:08 PM
I was suprised to hear Peter's drew with Lawrences, I was expecting a comfortable victory from Peter's, was told their perfromance was well below the previous weeks.

Our game was very scrappy in the first half, we went 1-1 up in the first 10 minutes but didn't score again until the 2nd half. Half time score 1-1 to 0-3, we took control in the second half and went 7 points clear going into the final 5 minutes before Ann's got a late goal.

Still think Oisins will come good, along with Mitchell's and Peter's they'll make the semi's. Expect our game with Lawrences to be crucial.

But who knows there's been a few suprises already this year, all the Manchester teams are well capable of beating each other.

Peter's should have won the game, especially when you consider that Lawrence's only had 4 scores in the whole game. Oisins should improve, but they'd need to start doing it soon. It's certainly a very competitive championship this season. I think your right about youu game with Lawrences being crucial, but bar Mithchel's no is dominating, so it's all to play for.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Brendans abu

another Brendans v Peters game last night in the senior league with Peter's winning by 5. Peter's were always 6 or 7 points clear but we got back to within a point going into the last 5 minutes before Peter's got a late goal. Don't know results to the other two games yet.

Lancs v Yorks this weekend, whats the Yorks team looking Benny?

Oisins Abu

let me open my first post by saying hello to everyone, i've been following this board for some time now but have just decided to start posting recently, it is a lot better than the tripe on the hoganstand,

can anyone tell me why the county board couldn't find a ref for the lawrences v mitchels game in liverpool?? Our game against Annes was a walkover as they couldn't field so instead we had a practice game with Oisins v St Annes/Lawrences,

I see there was five points between Peters and Brendans can anyone tell me what the game was like, I watched the drawn game a few weeks back and it was a pretty intense game (think it was junior),

finally anybody heading to the county games down at bedians on sunday, should be a couple of cracking games, any thoughts on what the best line out for Lancashire will be and are Yorkshire any good??

Ok thats enough questions for my first post I think.
"He kicks the ball lan san aer, could've been a goal, could've been a point........it went wide"

Brendans abu

Quote from: Oisins Abu on July 03, 2009, 11:35:44 AM
let me open my first post by saying hello to everyone, i've been following this board for some time now but have just decided to start posting recently, it is a lot better than the tripe on the hoganstand,

can anyone tell me why the county board couldn't find a ref for the lawrences v mitchels game in liverpool?? Our game against Annes was a walkover as they couldn't field so instead we had a practice game with Oisins v St Annes/Lawrences,

I see there was five points between Peters and Brendans can anyone tell me what the game was like, I watched the drawn game a few weeks back and it was a pretty intense game (think it was junior),

finally anybody heading to the county games down at bedians on sunday, should be a couple of cracking games, any thoughts on what the best line out for Lancashire will be and are Yorkshire any good??

Ok thats enough questions for my first post I think.

the drawn game was a pennine league game.

We were poor in the first including conceading a very poor goal in the first minute but Peter's were much the better team especially for the first 20 minutes.

Second half was a much more intense game with it becoming a lot more physical. Thought we would win when we got within a point but it wasn't to be with Peter's pulling clear in the last few minutes. We've played Peter's 4 times this year at senior already, 3 out of the 4 have been good close games.

I'd expect Lancs to win by at least 6 points on Sunday but having not seen Yorks play i'm just guessing, just going on what I know about the Lancs team and the form of Yorks teams in Pennine League.

lob her in lad

was down at turnmoss last night and it was a bit of a dissapointment that Annes didn't field especially as we needed to beat them in a competitive match, well fact is we needed to beat someone anyone in a competitive match, it was a strange game to be playing in very hard to get motivated for a mickey mouse game,

from what i hear Yorkshire are a strong team so it should be a match on Sunday
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

BennyHarp

Quote from: Brendans abu on July 03, 2009, 11:28:13 AM
another Brendans v Peters game last night in the senior league with Peter's winning by 5. Peter's were always 6 or 7 points clear but we got back to within a point going into the last 5 minutes before Peter's got a late goal. Don't know results to the other two games yet.

Lancs v Yorks this weekend, whats the Yorks team looking Benny?

Its hard to know what the Yorks team wil be like to be honest - should have a fairly decent team on sunday, but that lancs team will be very hard to beat, i'd say they would be looking to give the irish county a run for their money in the all ireland semi final!

carnaross

I hear Lancashire beat Yorkshire by six points after Yorkshire being the better side. They let two poor goals to give Lancs their victory.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

BennyHarp

Quote from: carnaross on July 05, 2009, 04:38:49 PM
I hear Lancashire beat Yorkshire by six points after Yorkshire being the better side. They let two poor goals to give Lancs their victory.

Was a good game down at Old Bedians today! Lancashire won 4-11 to 2-11 in the end which was a scoreline that flattered them a bit. Yorkshire were much the better team in the first half but 3 easy goals for lancs mean that they only went in at the break 2-7 to 3-3 up! Lancs took control round the middle in the second half and probably just deserved to win in the end - funny that the ref only played 27 minutes in the second half though!!

Brendans abu

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 05, 2009, 07:27:06 PM

Was a good game down at Old Bedians today! Lancashire won 4-11 to 2-11 in the end which was a scoreline that flattered them a bit. Yorkshire were much the better team in the first half but 3 easy goals for lancs mean that they only went in at the break 2-7 to 3-3 up! Lancs took control round the middle in the second half and probably just deserved to win in the end - funny that the ref only played 27 minutes in the second half though!!

Yorks should have had more of a lead at Half time, they were worthy of 5 or 6 point lead but your full back line was also suspect.

Your full forward line cleaned Lancs in the first half. Lancs did take control in the second half but to be fair there wasn't 6 points in it.

Think there's a lot more to come from Lancs, there's 3 lads who strated today who shouldn't be next week.

Fair play to Yorks though, was a lot closer game than I expected. Were there players from all clubs playing today?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Brendans abu on July 05, 2009, 07:45:11 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 05, 2009, 07:27:06 PM

Yorks should have had more of a lead at Half time, they were worthy of 5 or 6 point lead but your full back line was also suspect.

Your full forward line cleaned Lancs in the first half. Lancs did take control in the second half but to be fair there wasn't 6 points in it.

Think there's a lot more to come from Lancs, there's 3 lads who strated today who shouldn't be next week.

Fair play to Yorks though, was a lot closer game than I expected. Were there players from all clubs playing today?

Yeah, all clubs were represented on the Yorkshire panel today - had a fairly strong panel of players today but lancashire are very strong and will take some beating!! I do agree though that they had 2 or 3 weak links and perhaps their management is trying too hard to please all clubs! Did you hang around for the London game Brendans abu? I believe they won by a point 2-10 to 2-11!! Must have been a good game as well, its a pity the intercounty championship isnt given a bit more credability over here as it can throw up some very good games when counties take it seriously!

lob her in lad

was at the games yesterday and playing in the first, you are right in what you say about the starters but Sean said to me at the end of the game that they wanted to try something new so thats why they went with that first 15 so chances are it might be a different starting 15 in the final. Yorkshire were up for it yesterday, they seemed to have a bit of hunger about them. Would I be right in guessing they played a few practice matches together?? We didn't underestimate Yorkshire going into the game we have a very healthy respect for the Yorkshire team and yesterday just proved that there wasn't much between us. 6 points in the end was a bit flattering to us as it was a bit tighter than that. The ref has to be commended on a great game. It is the first time in a long time I have played a game over here and come away saying that.
The London V Scotland game was a good tight contest with Scotland getting the better of the ball throughout the game but a number of errors allowed London to keep up with them and a controversial point at the end sealed the win for London. If I am honest it's London I would prefer to be facing next weekend because the Scottish team were well oiled and disciplined and they all knew what the other players were doing, it helps that they are all from the same club I suppose. The London number 7 looked dangerous on the run but in fairness his end ball was brutal and always resulted in a turnover so if we just let him run into corners next week it should be grand.
So the game next weekend should be interesting any ideas on how it's going to go. Will London be getting in more lads for this match or will they be sticking with the same squad??
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."