Tyrone v Monaghan - Healy Park, Omagh - 16/04/2023 16:00

Started by CK_Redhand, April 12, 2023, 04:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: An Watcher on April 16, 2023, 11:00:10 PM
Lucky all ireland champions don't beat 5 division one teams in the shape of cavan, donegal, monaghan, kerry and mayo.  I'd say a lucky all ireland was the year the dubs won in 3020 beating westmeath, laois, meath, cavan and mayo.  Jesus christ.  So Tyrone beat donegal, monaghan and kerry while the dubs beat westmeath, laois and meath.  Such a difference.  Luck my arse

There are no lucky all Ireland champions. Tyrone, Dublin or otherwise. You best who you have to beat and that's it. Did Tyrone get the tub of the green in certain games? Maybe. But what all Ireland champions didn't

Redhand Santa

The funny bit about the lucky All Ireland is when people throw in covid like it was some massive advantage. Tyrone training with 14/15 players or less for 2/3 weeks in the middle of the championship and people thinking it was somehow an advantage as Kerry had to wait an extra week to play the game. Even within that match Tyrone played with 14 men for 20 minutes of the second half and only for a soft Kerry free at the end would have won in normal time. Going into the final as underdogs with all experts tipping an on form Mayo team and turning them over by 4/5 points. Not sure where the luck game from. They averaged 21 points a game playing against 4 division one teams.

Very poor start to second half yesterday when Tyrone game out with the wrong mentality cost them nearly as it was hard to recover once Monaghan had the momentum. I'd still have Tyrone as lively All Ireland contenders but lot of work to do especially defensively. Both goals yesterday were a joke from a defensive point of view.

Redhand Santa

Reading back yesterday - it's almost like people are out to complain about games no matter what. There was a few negative comments during the first half. It wasn't a classic but there was 19 scores in it including a master class from Canavan. You wonder what some people want from the game now.

trailer

A game of two halves.

Tyrone were going well in the first half, Monaghan living off a very poor referring performance. Some very soft and questionable frees.
10 and 20 from Monaghan had great games, constantly running at the Tyrone defence. Can't for the life of me understand the thought process of leaving Burns on for so long. He was having a stinker. McGeary not brilliant either. Morgan with another horror show. Missed a straight forward FK, kickouts in 2nd half not great and getting beat for the goal at the end. He's an outfield player in goals. It's not working.
Don't get the love for Beggan, didn't think he was that great to be honest.
McCurry and Canavan had great games, but they were constantly caught in a web of Monaghan men.
When was the last time Tyrone conceded 2-17? A freak result.

Anyway thems the breaks.

For the neutral it must've been one of the best games in a long time.

imtommygunn

Best game I have seen in a long time. Some of the comments about O'Toole going for the goal the way he did show how we have become conditioned to be being very risk averse.

I found McGinley's (a good analyst generally) analysis on the sunday game disappointing. It was about where Tyrone gave it to monaghan rather than where monaghan won it. Every team makes mistakes which will ultimately being the differentiator in games.

Monaghan Derry will be interesting. Monaghan won't be easy beat there.

Schkite

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 17, 2023, 08:46:14 AM

I found McGinley's (a good analyst generally) analysis on the sunday game disappointing. It was about where Tyrone gave it to monaghan rather than where monaghan won it. Every team makes mistakes which will ultimately being the differentiator in games.

Yeah I really don't like this kind of analysis that has come out since, seems really one-sided. Why is it that Tyrone are the architects of their own downfall in the 2nd half, and yet they are getting alot of praise(rightly) for their 1st half attacking play. If the analysis was more even then maybe it would be pointed out that Monaghan's defensive set-up was inviting Tyrone on and way too open. In fairness to Vinny, once he made the switches on McCurry and Canavan, they were much more contained than the first half hour. Not many people giving that credit though, merely looking at it from the Tyrone side.

square_ball

Quote from: trailer on April 17, 2023, 08:44:15 AM
A game of two halves.

Tyrone were going well in the first half, Monaghan living off a very poor referring performance. Some very soft and questionable frees.
10 and 20 from Monaghan had great games, constantly running at the Tyrone defence. Can't for the life of me understand the thought process of leaving Burns on for so long. He was having a stinker. McGeary not brilliant either. Morgan with another horror show. Missed a straight forward FK, kickouts in 2nd half not great and getting beat for the goal at the end. He's an outfield player in goals. It's not working.
McCurry and Canavan had great games, but they were constantly caught in a web of Monaghan men.

Anyway thems the breaks.

Strange comment. You'd think going by that he's just been fired in this year as an experiment in nets when in reality he's been consistently one of the best goalkeepers in the game for 10 years now. I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in Ireland and there is no one remotely close in Tyrone in quality to him.

tbrick18

A game of two halves.

Anyway thems the breaks.

I personally though both teams got a few soft frees, but Tyrone were very undisciplined in the tackle in that first half with no need to be.
They were dominating the game but still gave away too many frees in scoring areas when they didn't need to. Then were further punished for what I assume was backchat and the ball getting moved forward 10m to make it even easier.
A little more discipline and a little less bad manners and they'd have been 8-9 ahead at half time with little chance of Monaghan coming back.

trueblue1234

Quote from: square_ball on April 17, 2023, 10:33:24 AM
A game of two halves.

Anyway thems the breaks.

Strange comment. You'd think going by that he's just been fired in this year as an experiment in nets when in reality he's been consistently one of the best goalkeepers in the game for 10 years now. I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in Ireland and there is no one remotely close in Tyrone in quality to him.

Couldn't agree more. We have defensive issues but Morgan isn't one of them!! We need a settled 6 that isn't Harte. And ideally Burns to get back to his better form in a sweeper role. Lacking a bit of leadership as well from the likes of McGeary, Hampsey etc. The only one who seems to consistently prove that is Donnelly, but given his age we can't solely rely on him.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

Morgan is one of the best goalies in the country. Its between him and Beggan.

The Coddfather

Quote from: Gold on April 17, 2023, 12:25:35 AM
The goal was a FLUKE! Poor and insane  shot straight up the middle that flukley went through Morgans legs

Was absolute madness....But class at the same time

Everyone expected a handpassed point for a draw but The Monaghan no 14 was actually standing at the edge of the small square for an easy open net palmed in Ryan McHugh goal....O Toole had the blinkers on though, clearly never played BBall in his life....ask Stephen O Hanlon what he thought of that decision to shoot!

But here thankfully he did, incredible drama

Hope Monaghan kick on now

Poor goalkeeping... nothing flukey about it.

Blowitupref

Since winning the All-Ireland in 2021 Tyrone have only beaten Fermanagh in the championship. (A record that should be improved on the All-Ireland group stage?)

In Tyrone's last three championship games they have conceded 4-51. If that isn't improved on it will likely be a Prem quarter final exit this summer.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 17, 2023, 08:46:14 AM
Best game I have seen in a long time. Some of the comments about O'Toole going for the goal the way he did show how we have become conditioned to be being very risk averse.

Monaghan Derry will be interesting. Monaghan won't be easy beat there.
I think Monaghan could beat Derry. Corey is a good manager

greatpoint

Heard your man on OTB say that Monaghan aren't concerned about Ulster titles anymore and it's all about the All-Ireland now. I thought Monaghan hadn't won Ulster in nearly a decade?

Blowitupref

Quote from: greatpoint on April 17, 2023, 04:35:27 PM
Heard your man on OTB say that Monaghan aren't concerned about Ulster titles anymore and it's all about the All-Ireland now. I thought Monaghan hadn't won Ulster in nearly a decade?

The red hair chap who tends to have some odd opinions. Monaghan players reaction at the full whistle says they are very much concerned but Derry next another big hurdle to jump
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose