Started by seafoid, November 08, 2016, 08:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 17, 2019, 12:17:42 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 17, 2019, 10:02:10 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 15, 2019, 07:22:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2019, 03:50:06 PM
4 points down at half time but it's not about this match

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/fateful-day-dawns-for-the-faithful-county-hurlers-1.3819382%3fmode=amp

"When the college in Birr started to slip, we should have asked why.

We last appeared in a Leinster minor final in 2003 and under-21 in 2007/8. Because clubs like Birr and Killoughey and St Rynagh's were doing so well, it masked underlying problems. It is easy to be wise in hindsight but Birr Community School began to fade in around the time Brother Denis [Minehane] * retired.

"There was no succession planning. And that is my fault and the fault of others in south Offaly clubs that we almost left it to Brother Denis and other teachers in Birr Community School to do what we should have been done. They were the providers of the majority of the players on teams. When that started to slip, so did Offaly hurling."
Where was the funding to develop hurling in the midlands counties?
Being spent in Dublin

As much as you have a point but it has to be said the Dubs went to Croke Park with a plan. The Offaly's, Antrims of the world didn't so Croke Park didn't throw money at a non existent process.
Antrim go with a plan and get funding, that's how it works.
the problem is Offaly have put together about 5 plans for the county

And the lads that wrote the last one know the current incumbents in the CB haven't the ability to deliver it and have walked away.
CP would be mad to go in with a blank cheque, not that they would as Offaly don't put bums in Croke Park seats.

AZOffaly

Great win for the u20s tonight. Every silver lining is important at this stage.

johnnycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2019, 11:44:56 PM
Great win for the u20s tonight. Every silver lining is important at this stage.

Beating Dublin is never easy at this level so that was a good result.

Are you in a semi-final now?

fearsiuil

Offaly got to final of Tony Forristal at weekend, Tipp won it. Good to see positive story at end of tough year for Offaly hurlers.

AZOffaly

Quote from: fearsiuil on September 02, 2019, 04:21:24 PM
Offaly got to final of Tony Forristal at weekend, Tipp won it. Good to see positive story at end of tough year for Offaly hurlers.

First time ever for Offaly.  Tipp B team won Sonny Walsh as well.

seafoid

http://www.midlandtribune.ie/gaa/2019/05/15/gallery/offaly-1994-jubilee-all-ireland-hurling-celebrations-4507/

Christy Heffernan spoke about how he felt that Kilkenny got a bit of luck over Offaly in some of the games they played while also stating that while a lot of fun seems to be gone out of the game
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2019, 09:45:40 PM
Quote from: fearsiuil on September 02, 2019, 04:21:24 PM

First time ever for Offaly.  Tipp B team won Sonny Walsh as well.

Did I read somewhere that Clare and Cork have stopped going to the Tony Forrestal as they believe it impairs development?

seafoid

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/fennelly-sacrifices-must-be-made-if-offaly-want-to-prosper-38512716.html   
Michael Verney

September 19 2019 2:30 AM

The personnel in his Offaly squad will only take shape in the coming months but new Faithful hurling boss Michael Fennelly knows exactly what he wants and insists that "sacrifices will have to be made" by his charges if they are to survive.

Offaly have slipped off the hurling radar in recent years with successive relegations seeing them ply their trade in the Christy Ring Cup for 2020 and Fennelly is tasked with restoring things next year.

The Kilkenny legend - an eight-time All-Ireland winner - has no goals for his squad as of yet but will make high demands of players as they look to bounce back to the Joe McDonagh Cup next season.

"I just need to get them up to a high standard. I have high standards and I'll be demanding that from my management team and I'll be demanding it from the players. It goes back to accountability on them and responsibility," Fennelly said.

"If you don't have that and commitment levels, well then inter-county might not be for you and that's the bones of it. Sacrifices have to be made, you have to be selfish in it too. That's the way it was for me.

"You have to put it first and then there is a balance on it in terms of family and kids and stuff but if you want to be the best you really have to put yourself first. So I'll be sitting down with the lads and going through what our goals are for the year basically from November time."

As a rookie manager stepping into inter-county management at just 34, Fennelly knows he will make some mistakes along the way but he is intent on changing the culture around the Faithful after falling away from hurling's top table in recent years.

"I think culture and foundations have to be laid here. Where Offaly is at the moment we need to get back to basics and fundamentals. Get back to a bit of belief. I'm a big believer in culture and laying foundations," the Ballyhale Shamrocks clubman said.

GAA Newsletter
Expert GAA analysis straight to your inbox.

Email address
"Goals will come on top of that as well and that's where we need to go. If you don't have all that you can bring in whoever you want and there will be cracks all over the place so that's where I'll be going first and building that.

"That will take time, it's not a few weeks or months, it's a good year or two years to build that. It's not a flick of the switch here in terms of November and December, it's going to be a lot of work involved coming into the year."

Given his expertise in strength and conditioning and coaching - he worked as a performance coach with the Kildare footballers in 2019 - Fennelly intends to be "hands on" in terms of training sessions.

And despite playing under Brian Cody - the 11-time All-Ireland-winning manager who is widely acclaimed as the game's finest - Fennelly intends to be his own man, but he will take one particular lesson from the Cats boss.

"Brian is very articulate. When he talks, he talks. He's very good in meetings, he wouldn't hold a meeting for no reason. Nothing would be dragged out and I like that. Players want to come to training and they want to go home as well.

"That's something I'll be taking on board more than anything. Anything that's required, there has to be a crux for it basically. So that's one of the main things that I realise from working with Brian," he said.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/shane-lowry-swings-in-behind-offaly-gaa-in-new-partnership-1.4551564

Shane Lowry swings in behind Offaly GAA in new partnership
'I don't just want to put my name to something and then not get involved'
about 15 hours ago
Philip Reid

You can provide a legacy in different ways. How about by beating all-comers on the linksland of Royal Portrush to lift a Claret Jug? Shane Lowry, still the British Open champion, ticked that box in 2019.

And while he is set to resume playing on the PGA Tour at next week's Wells Fargo Championship, Lowry has deviated off the fairways to contribute to a different kind of benevolence in a cause close to his heart by getting behind Offaly GAA's bid to again be a major force in hurling and football.

While the Carrolls name will remain across the broad chests of Offaly players, Lowry has reached out to take on a role as a partner to Offaly GAA. Apart from financial contributions, his association will also include providing two days annually for possible fundraising activities – one in Ireland, another in the United States – and also meeting with the county's underage squads to provide inspiration and insight into how top sportsmen work to achieve their goals.

"Hopefully we can raise a lot of money and put it to good use, target the underage systems, the school system, getting young lads into college, into third-level and playing Sigerson and Fitzgibbon Cups, that's where the progress will be seen," said Lowry, son of 1982 All-Ireland-winning footballer Brendan, and who himself played with his club Clara right up to minor level before, as he put it, going down a different path in pursuing a life as a professional golfer.

He added: "I don't just want to put my name to something and then not get involved. This is something I'm very passionate about, that my family is very passionate about. My dad's over the moon that this is happening. It's great for us as a family to be able to do something like this. The underage is where I think is the big target for us and, if we can start producing good players who want to wear the green, white and gold jersey again, that's what it's about for me."

seafoid

In Michael Duignan's autobiography , on the day of the funeral of his wife Edel in 2009, Henry Shefflin was pucking around in the garden with his son Brian who was just a kid.

Today Shefflin was managing Galway in the Walsh Cup and Brian scored against them. His mother Edel would surely have been proud.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0109/1272668-walsh-cup-wrap-galway-start-shefflin-era-with-a-win/Brian Duignan, son of chairman Michael, became the seventh player to score while Cahill took his opening half haul to 0-07, five of them from play, to cut the gap to two at the break.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2022, 05:32:44 PM
In Michael Duignan's autobiography , on the day of the funeral of his wife Edel in 2009, Henry Shefflin was pucking around in the garden with his son Brian who was just a kid.

Today Shefflin was managing Galway in the Walsh Cup and Brian scored against them. His mother Edel would surely have been proud.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0109/1272668-walsh-cup-wrap-galway-start-shefflin-era-with-a-win/Brian Duignan, son of chairman Michael, became the seventh player to score while Cahill took his opening half haul to 0-07, five of them from play, to cut the gap to two at the break.

Offaly will be happy with yesterday. It looked an even contest with the goals being the difference.

The upcoming league is going to stretch Offaly though, as it's a big jump in standard compared to last year. Offaly won the Christy Ring beating Sligo, Wicklow and then Derry in the final.
In this year's league they'll be playing Limerick, Galway and Wexford away. Cork and Clare at home.

While there is progress being made in Offaly, there is again a lot of turnover of personnel on the panel, which goes with the territory in lower tier hurling. It makes it harder for a manager to develop a style of play and get players conditioned to operating at a high standard.

Yesterday's game was already a sell out the day before so I'd say there is a bit of buzz in Galway around the Shefflin appointment,

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 10, 2022, 02:17:10 PM

Offaly will be happy with yesterday. It looked an even contest with the goals being the difference.

The upcoming league is going to stretch Offaly though, as it's a big jump in standard compared to last year. Offaly won the Christy Ring beating Sligo, Wicklow and then Derry in the final.
In this year's league they'll be playing Limerick, Galway and Wexford away. Cork and Clare at home.

While there is progress being made in Offaly, there is again a lot of turnover of personnel on the panel, which goes with the territory in lower tier hurling. It makes it harder for a manager to develop a style of play and get players conditioned to operating at a high standard.

Yesterday's game was already a sell out the day before so I'd say there is a bit of buzz in Galway around the Shefflin appointment,
Great to see Offaly making progress.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on January 10, 2022, 03:33:36 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 10, 2022, 02:17:10 PM

Great to see Offaly making progress.

Plenty of new faces on the Galway team as well but always had a soft spot for the Offaly lads and hope to see them there or thereabouts in the coming years.