Aidan O'Mahony = Pathetic

Started by Tankie, August 24, 2008, 05:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mickey

omahony is a disgrace and should lose any cahnce he had of an allstar due to his actions in this game. no way oconnor should have got sent off,it was nothing more than a playful slap and i wouldnt even consider it a strike.stop trying to turn gaelic into soccer.....

JMohan

He really should be banned (and anyone else who acts like that) for the sake of the game.

He's a Garda isn't he?

In the Onion Bag

Its cowardly and too easy to kick a man when he's down and I do not like joining in this thread.

Today however, O'Mahoney lost that respect that normally protects our amateur players.  Today he became a shame to the Kerry tradition and jersey, his county, the game of gaelic in general, and, most of all, himself.  
I find if strange how good players (e.g. Ricy) allow themselves to be dragged into such morass.  All Star for O'Mahoney -never.  
Maybe, even Galvin is made of better stuff?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: J70 on August 24, 2008, 05:48:12 PM
Then you're leaving the interpretation of the intensity of the strike up to the officials. As it is now, players know that if they're seen striking an opponent, no matter how harmless, they're gone. O'Connor has no cause for complaint.
It depends what you define as strike.
If O'Connor "struck" O'Mahony, then you could take it a step further and interpret shaking hands before the game as a form of striking.

Big Mickey

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on August 24, 2008, 05:58:53 PM
Its cowardly and too easy to kick a man when he's down and I do not like joining in this thread.

Today however, O'Mahoney lost that respect that normally protects our amateur players.  Today he became a shame to the Kerry tradition and jersey, his county, the game of gaelic in general, and, most of all, himself.  
I find if strange how good players (e.g. Ricy) allow themselves to be dragged into such morass.  All Star for O'Mahoney -never.  
Maybe, even Galvin is made of better stuff?

id be off the opinion that galvin is by far the better man,purely because although he gives it,he also takes a fair bita abuse.

thats and the fact u no what ur dealing with in galvin,bit like ricey in that regard.

think most people are disgusted with omahony cos he was held in quite high regard before the game and now just elt himself down.shame that 1 second can destroy a players rep but thats the price u pay

Radioulster

it will be interesting to hear what the panelists on the sunday game have to say about cynical football now. I would also like to question the Donegal man on TV3 talking about cynical Tyrone what has he to say now. Don't like to be too harsh on anyone and I am not a fan of our own players attempts at diving but O'Mahoney would want to cop on to himself as he is a very high profile player. I think he should come out and apologise for his actions as he cannot be suspended. we are moving away from wanting to win to having to win at all levels and this kind of incident typifies it.

Blue Island

Quote from: Big Mickey on August 24, 2008, 05:52:02 PM
omahony is a disgrace and should lose any cahnce he had of an allstar due to his actions in this game. no way oconnor should have got sent off,it was nothing more than a playful slap and i wouldnt even consider it a strike.stop trying to turn gaelic into soccer.....

You can hardly call if a playful slap. The referee could have perhaps given him a yellow card but when you raise your hands at all you are asking for trouble. If you slap someone on the pitch regardless of how hard it is, it is difficult for the person being slapped not to rise to the bait, because if he does not, his manliness is called into question. Therefore the person being slapped is entitled to expect the ref to take action, before he has to.

That said, O'Mahony's actions are disgraceful. It's sickening to see so many players within the last ten years go go down in theatrical fashion to con the referee. I can recall a time not so long ago and not quite in the distant past when from under 12s up you were encouraged as a player never to go down and never show your opponent you are hurt unless you really were busted. It's time Croke park cracked down on this before football is riddled with it. You don't see too many rugby players or hurlers doing the same as they would be too proud to take a dive. O'Mahony can have no excuses as the issue has been highlighted this year and he will be aware that the previous 'divers' have been rightly ridiculed.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: clarshack on August 24, 2008, 05:36:09 PM
i know it was "technically" a strike but donncha o'connor should get that red card rescinded. common sense should prevail but as we all know it very rarely does with the GAA top brass.

Damn right.

Red card rescinded and O'Mahoney banned for good measure.

Quote from: J70
Then you're leaving the interpretation of the intensity of the strike up to the officials. As it is now, players know that if they're seen striking an opponent, no matter how harmless, they're gone. O'Connor has no cause for complaint.

Away and grow a set for f**k sakes.

Get that soccer shitetalk to f**k.
i usse an speelchekor

Tatler Jack

Quotethink most people are disgusted with omahony cos he was held in quite high regard before the game and now just elt himself down.shame that 1 second can destroy a players rep but thats the price u pay

O'Mahoney has been at this sort of stuff in every game Mickey - as bad as Galvin and thats saying something. He had no reputation to destroy but at least was shown up today for what he is. Unfortunately this Kerry team have a few players who while good footballers are also thoroughly dislikeable characters - Galvin and O'Mahony are two of them and Cooper and Donaghy also do their share of mouthing and annoying stuff.

As least we should hear no more about negative Ulster football - todays game was largely a shambles and the word "puke" came to mind a few times.

joemamas

he should be suspended for a game for bringing the game into disrepute, or unsportsmanlike conduct. pick one or the other.

The asshole should be at least shamed infront of the entire country for what he is "a cheat". He has dragged down Kerry football with himself, even if Kerry people are reluctant to admit it.

What is the penalty for throwing a ball at somebody. Clue, ask Gregory McCartan (Down v Tyrone 2003)

Yes I Would

O Mahony has had this tendancy to get invloved needlessly in off the ball antics in previous games.

A fantastic footballer when he concentrates on the ball, but why does he feel the need to act a hateful ****, with his in your face, macho man approach!!

It was shameful to see him collapse in such a way, and agree that it sends out aimage of our games which we dont need.
He isnt the first to behave in such a manner, may i add!!

BennyHarp

I thought o'connor actually showed restraint with o'mahony screaming into his face! Easily the most embarrassing and disgraceful act of cheating i have seen in a long time in a GAA match. This is actually a cynicism that flows throughout the kerry team - and has done for years - systematic fouling of opposition defenders to slow attacks, diving and shouting at refs after decisions go against them (donaghy is the worse offender at this) has been a feature of their game for years now. I actually dont mind this as its brought them undoubted success - but they shouldnt set themselves up as some sort of aristacrats of football and criticise other teams for it. Will the media will no doubt slam kerry for the cynical play in the coming days? I very much doubt it!!
That was never a square ball!!

J70

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 24, 2008, 05:59:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 24, 2008, 05:48:12 PM
It depends what you define as strike.
If O'Connor "struck" O'Mahony, then you could take it a step further and interpret shaking hands before the game as a form of striking.

Let's not get too carried away. He gave him a slap, which is a strike. As far as I am aware, the rules don't distinguish between hard slaps and gentle slaps, but maybe I'm wrong.

JMohan

Quote from: joemamas on August 24, 2008, 06:25:03 PM
he should be suspended for a game for bringing the game into disrepute, or unsportsmanlike conduct. pick one or the other.

The asshole should be at least shamed infront of the entire country for what he is "a cheat". He has dragged down Kerry football with himself, even if Kerry people are reluctant to admit it.

What is the penalty for throwing a ball at somebody. Clue, ask Gregory McCartan (Down v Tyrone 2003)

That was the first thing that crossed my mind when he did it ... only difference was McGuigan went down like a cheap hooker that day

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: J70 on August 24, 2008, 06:49:14 PM
Let's not get too carried away. He gave him a slap, which is a strike.

Once again.

Away grow a set and get that soccer shitetalk to f**k!

Soon ye'll have "contact" being deemed worthy of a free-kick and before you know it gaelic football will be blessed with diving like the world cup etc.
i usse an speelchekor