tyrone v's wexford 2008 Ai semi final

Started by the Deel Rover, August 16, 2008, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

Quote from: ONeill on August 31, 2008, 08:37:23 PM
What is there left to say about this squad of players? The major doubt coming in to the came was that the Dublin performance was a one-off, a dying kick from our most formidable outfit. The first half today reinforced the opposite. Something happened in the last 2 years that will probably be explained in time. We cannot blame injuries any more because Tyrone have got there without O'Neill, Cavlan and Mulligan. Players like McCullagh, Penrose and T McGuigan who looked a level below the players we'd lost are now proving themselves to be class acts at the highest level. Perhaps it was the hunger in players like Ricey, the Block, Jordan and co that just wasn't sharp in '06/07. Maybe it was the need to allow times for new players to gel into the 'system'. But what we have now is another side in the All-Ireland final after blitzing Dublin and notching 0-23 in an All-Ireland semi final. 0-23 from a side most of us worried where scores were going to come from earlier in the year!

Jordan, McMenamin and McCullagh were majestic today. I though McCullagh's play was as good as Brian McGuigan's used to be (the possible exceptions being on McGuigan's exceptional days like the AIF05). His confidence on the ball to take as much out of it until he had a clear pass was wonderful to watch. He took his points almost as a last resort! I'd imagine Kerry will give Colm no time on the ball. He was our impish/waspish play-maker today. Jordan, from the first minute to the last, was the man who drove this team. He covered every blade and his direct approach was as good as you'll see from Tomas O'Se. McMenamin was also a driven man today and involved himself in the majority of attacks from defence. Gormley fairly kept tabs on the majority of Wexford's danger men though I thought he stood off slightly for the goal. Justin McMahon is a footballer first and foremost and for a fullback that's reassuring. He's as equally comfortable soloing up the sideline as he is breaking the high ball. I thought we saw another positive side to Tommy's game today. Some of his ball retention was of the highest class, especially when Gourley was throwing up some 50/50s. McGinley maintained his decent form although Holmes waned early on. Still, Mickey is always quick to change in that area and Hughes, despite trying to shoot, was adequate. Dooher's in form and Penrose offered a useful option on the break. Sean was double-teamed, sometimes trebled but still managed to provide a dangerous outlet. Only he went off he could easily have ended with 0-6/0-7.

The Wexford comeback was fitting of a side that had reached the AISF, although I honestly believe the one-and-a-half matches of completely dominating the opposition finally got to Tyrone and their levels dropped a little - it'll do Tyrone no harm to have a slight scare.

Hats off to Mickey and this squad. Some wonderful passages of football, as good as there has been under Mickey. Not in my wildest dreams did I expect Tyrone at this years AIF.
my friend, please dont try and tell me that kevin hughes is up to this level anymore, hes brutal, has been for years, cant figure out how hes still around ;)

Puckoon

Paddypastit -

Ill give you Dooher - I thought he was quiet by his high standards today, particularly in the first half, however Colm McCullagh was influential from start to finish. He may have wasted one, or two balls, but he was economical, probing, and dangerous all day long.

I think these boys are closer to the gold standard than you would have us believe. This team was written off, these players were written off yet they are in a position no one thought they would occupy at the beginning of the season. If they are not at the gold standard then that only leaves the Kerry boys, as Dublin, Armagh, Galway, Cork, Donegal and Derry are all gone.

Main Street

Quote from: Puckoon on August 31, 2008, 10:10:56 PM
If they are not at the gold standard then that only leaves the Kerry boys, as Dublin, Armagh, Galway, Cork, Donegal and Derry are all gone.
should read
If they are not at the gold standard then that only leaves the Kerry boys, as Dublin, Armagh, Galway, Cork, Donegal and Derry and Monaghan are all gone.

We didn't sweat our bollix off beating those 2 counties on merit just to have it written off the 2008 records  :)

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: ONeill on August 31, 2008, 08:37:23 PM
Something happened in the last 2 years that will probably be explained in time. We cannot blame injuries any more because Tyrone have got there without O'Neill, Cavlan and Mulligan. Players like McCullagh, Penrose and T McGuigan who looked a level below the players we'd lost are now proving themselves to be class acts at the highest level. Perhaps it was the hunger in players like Ricey, the Block, Jordan and co that just wasn't sharp in '06/07. Maybe it was the need to allow times for new players to gel into the 'system'.

Id also suggest that in 2006 in particular the panel wasnt ready to cope without all those injured players. Losing PtG was a blow but that was always going to happen, the real loss was Brian McGuigan gone for 3 years and the likes of Dooher, SON and Mulligan also being plagued by injuries. No team could ship those losses and stay at that same level. Over time though it would seem that the team has evolved to cover those losses. Mickey has tweaked the style even more to allow the defenders to get up and get scores even more frequently and that has made in the last 2 matches made up for the lack of a really high scoring forward. Plus we've seen the likes of the McMahons, McCullagh and Tommy Og really step up with some fantastic performances. Dooher belies his age with his performances and Enda McGinley, who was maybe harshly seen as a bit of a workhorse in 2003 and 2005, has been fantastic. Then you have boys like Ricey, Jordan, Gormley and Big Sean, all class acts, playing like they did in years gone by.

I did not believe Tyrone would reach the AI final, I couldnt see where the scores would come from, but the team have been brilliant. 3-37 over the last two games is a tally I just didnt think Tyrone could get close to. Surely reaching this final is Mickey's finest achievement. Kerry will be favourites but its just great to be in this situation.

We'll need Sean Mor and Brian McGuigan fit, any word on those injuries? Also puzzzled at Mugsy's lack of game time in the past 2 matches, what is going on there?

paddypastit

Puckoon - I can't disagree with that as a hoilding position... McCullogh to date has outplayed my previous perceptions but nothing he faced in his last two outings will come anywhere close to what he will meet the next day and add in too now that people are expecting something of him.  If he, and indeed others, meet that expectataion then they will rightfully be claimed as 'class acts at the highest level'... but not yet.

Take your point too about what marks the gold standard this year.

Looking forward to this day three weeks more than I have for a few years
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Mickeys beard

Good oul game.  Wasn't surprised by Wexford's resurgence in the second half-as Frank mcguigan said in the match programme, there are more natural footballers in the wexford team than the Dublin team who were being tipped as potential champs.  Impressed by the way Tyrone never really took the foot of the gas-a big lead almost always leads to complacency-strong Wexford play got them back into the game in the second half, but they were never going to sustain that pressure, especially after mickey's timely substitutions.  After the game, I got a feeling that this should have been Tyrone and Armagh.  No-one underperformed today, we have been spoilt by the multitude of individual performances in these past few games, although, I'm sure some folk will never be pleased!  Nothing to fear with Kerry.
Boil the Drawers!

INDIANA

there are more natural footballers in the wexford team

there aren't and thsat wexford team will never beat dublin in the championship despite dublin's weaknesses. they simply give up scores so easily, it was embarrasing watching the space tyrone had today to kick points. What wexford didn't do unlike dublin is throw in the towel and they should be commended for that because they could have so easily done so, but i don;t see them winnning trophies and how often has the first year of a manager's reign been the best one, shades of fermanagh about wexford this year, but what a great year for them.

Puckoon

Quote from: paddypastit on August 31, 2008, 11:08:13 PM
Puckoon - I can't disagree with that as a hoilding position... McCullogh to date has outplayed my previous perceptions but nothing he faced in his last two outings will come anywhere close to what he will meet the next day and add in too now that people are expecting something of him.  If he, and indeed others, meet that expectataion then they will rightfully be claimed as 'class acts at the highest level'... but not yet.

Take your point too about what marks the gold standard this year.

Looking forward to this day three weeks more than I have for a few years

Id share your fears about McCullagh if he was lining out top of the left. As it is he roves and probes and almost dictates his own game. Who ever is detailed to him will have to work very hard to keep him quiet.

Puckoon

Quote from: Main Street on August 31, 2008, 10:46:23 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on August 31, 2008, 10:10:56 PM
If they are not at the gold standard then that only leaves the Kerry boys, as Dublin, Armagh, Galway, Cork, Donegal and Derry are all gone.
should read
If they are not at the gold standard then that only leaves the Kerry boys, as Dublin, Armagh, Galway, Cork, Donegal and Derry and Monaghan are all gone.

We didn't sweat our bollix off beating those 2 counties on merit just to have it written off the 2008 records  :)

Apologies, dont know how i missed monaghan.

EC Unique

Quote from: EC Unique on August 18, 2008, 10:37:49 AM
Im going to say what alot of Tyrone fans are thinking (and you are - if you are honest!!). I think Tyrone are going to have no problem with Wexford and will beat them by quite a large amount. This has nothing to do with 'respect' or 'complacency' but just down to the fact that I think Tyrone have alot more talent in their ranks and the'big day' will not effect them where as I think it will all be a bit much for the Wexford players. I am really hoping for an All-Ireland Final Day with both our Minors and Seniors involved but the Minors have a bigger task to get there. Remember this is just my opinion and I am being Honest..  ;)

;) ;D ;D

Hardy

Fair play to you for being man enough to admit you got it wrong.

EC Unique

Main Street

clarshack

i thought jordan was superb yesterday - it was more like the jordan of old. it was a good overall performance from the team and I think Kerry are ready for the taking. there'll be lot made out of galvin's return and daragh o'sheas last game so hopefully they'll lose some focus.

Over the Bar

QuoteI thought McCullogh went out of the game one Wexford tightened up and while he certainly played well in general, as the game went on, he made a few poor de;liveries under pressure.

McCullough was superb as CHF and his distribution and scoring were 2nd to none.  He went out of the game somewhat in the last 20 mins because Mickey put Penrose into CHF and moved Colm back into the forward line where he could not exert as much influence.