TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbat

Quote from: extra time on May 03, 2021, 02:05:30 PM
Does anyone know if there will be another season of Ozark. Really enjoyed it and it was left nowhere near finished.

Yeah they were filming it a few months ago, heard an interview with Charlene Mc Kenna a few months back were she said hew new husband is away to the states to film it at the time.

screenexile

The West Wing still stands up series 1-4 at least!

imtommygunn

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 03, 2021, 02:07:52 PM
24 never gets a mention in greatest shows discussion, utterly addictive.

Just saw the new Dexter promo the other day, was brilliant. I get why people didn't like the end of Dexter, the last season was dung on the whole, but Dexter didn't flatter to deceive in the way LOD did last night.

Even still some of dexter was, for me, as good as tv as you will see.

screenexile

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 03, 2021, 02:49:18 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 03, 2021, 02:07:52 PM
24 never gets a mention in greatest shows discussion, utterly addictive.

Just saw the new Dexter promo the other day, was brilliant. I get why people didn't like the end of Dexter, the last season was dung on the whole, but Dexter didn't flatter to deceive in the way LOD did last night.

Even still some of dexter was, for me, as good as tv as you will see.

The series with Lithgow was first class season 4 I think.

pbat

Quote from: screenexile on May 03, 2021, 02:48:29 PM
The West Wing still stands up series 1-4 at least!

Yeah definitely, completely different show after Sorkin left, Richard Schiff was very upset on the way Toby character went. He said he never would have leaked about the space shuttle and betrayed the president.

lurganblue

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 26, 2021, 06:53:57 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on April 26, 2021, 10:41:50 AM
Finished the Falcon and winter soldier series.  I thought this was an excellent addition to the marvel series.  I never had much interest in either of these characters from the films but there ya go...

Looking forward to the Loki series in June.
Winter Soldier was my favourite of the Captain America films. Same actor playing Bucky Barnes?

Yes the same fella. Long hair has gone. Decent character. Now trying to put right his past crimes. Atonement

lurganblue

Why are people hating on the LOD finale? I think people build these shows up in their own heads too much and are always destined for disappointment. Same with Game of Thrones. I for one enjoyed it.

thewobbler

It tied things up nicely, while leaving the door slightly ajar for a feature length special.

Twitter seems to be struggling with that. They wanted explosions and twists. Twitter also seems confused about Buckles. He wasn't a criminal mastermind, he just happened to be the last one standing (that we know of) of a network of cops entwined with what used to be a unified organised crime front.

nrico2006

A lot of cutting away in the last few episodes, trying to draw out anticipation.  The whole focus on Davidson last night, pushing for her to identify who she believed was her father along with the Kate/Ryan stand-off that was never shown.  I assume that we got the answer to who Davidsons father was in the subsequent scene, but why did they not show the shoot out? 

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 03, 2021, 04:11:35 PM
A lot of cutting away in the last few episodes, trying to draw out anticipation.  The whole focus on Davidson last night, pushing for her to identify who she believed was her father along with the Kate/Ryan stand-off that was never shown.  I assume that we got the answer to who Davidsons father was in the subsequent scene, but why did they not show the shoot out? 

I thought the same. It almost felt like they were filmed post Covid outbreak and they were fighting restrictions and maybe in a race against the clock.

It was an adequate finale, but you can understand the annoyance on Twitter.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: charlieTully on May 03, 2021, 12:24:05 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 03, 2021, 09:32:36 AM
I've been rewatching The Sopranos from the start, in S3 atm. Can't believe well it has stood up, it is still real top drawer stuff, plus its been that long since I watched it it's like a new show again.

Best show ever made. Rewatching GOT with the Mrs as she didn't bother first time round. Binge worthy second time round too. Breaking bad was actually better second time round. Sopranos number 1 though.
I'd go along with that. I really loved The Wire and Breaking Bad and would have put them in the same bracket as The Sopranos just after watching them. As time has passed I think it's The Sopranos on its own then, followed by The West Wing, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Detectorists, then the rest.

nrico2006

Black Mirror is very under-rated.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 03, 2021, 07:19:21 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on May 03, 2021, 12:24:05 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 03, 2021, 09:32:36 AM
I've been rewatching The Sopranos from the start, in S3 atm. Can't believe well it has stood up, it is still real top drawer stuff, plus its been that long since I watched it it's like a new show again.

Best show ever made. Rewatching GOT with the Mrs as she didn't bother first time round. Binge worthy second time round too. Breaking bad was actually better second time round. Sopranos number 1 though.
I'd go along with that. I really loved The Wire and Breaking Bad and would have put them in the same bracket as The Sopranos just after watching them. As time has passed I think it's The Sopranos on its own then, followed by The West Wing, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Detectorists, then the rest.

I love The Wire, Sopranos and The Shield. But I think Gomorrah is out on it's own as the best show ever. The last season coming out this year too.

imtommygunn

There's more gomorrah?? Good shout on it. I still haven't watched the Ciro film.

Only just started the shield.

JimStynes

Yeah they've filmed the final series.