Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2021, 08:18:31 PM
I mind a boy I knew from school going into one of the halls and he was saying he went into the communal bathroom and there was a big dump on the floor. Lovely :o

Likely paying a fortune for the place too.

Look it's safe and close and it has made her very independent (though I'm paying lol) one more payment then she's found a lovely place which is half the price near the Bot!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

I mind a boy I knew from school going into one of the halls and he was saying he went into the communal bathroom and there was a big dump on the floor. Lovely :o

At least they have DNA testing now.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 28, 2021, 08:12:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2021, 07:51:59 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on April 28, 2021, 03:04:41 PM
Whats wrong with the ones at Elms? I thought they would be a decent standard considering they are Queens Halls?

It's liked a compact Japanese room, pretty basic, lovely shared kitchen, but for £500 a month her room is smaller than my living room
Sounds familiar. I remember my room in halls (probably now demolished) was basically the length of a bed with a wee cubby hole just past it that was a wardrobe and sink.

Handy for the durin the night pish

laoislad

Likely paying a fortune for the place too.
Is he not too old for you to be minding if you went to school with him?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on April 28, 2021, 08:50:52 PM
Whats wrong with the ones at Elms? I thought they would be a decent standard considering they are Queens Halls?

It's liked a compact Japanese room, pretty basic, lovely shared kitchen, but for £500 a month her room is smaller than my living room
Sounds familiar. I remember my room in halls (probably now demolished) was basically the length of a bed with a wee cubby hole just past it that was a wardrobe and sink.

Aye sure that's why they were installed.

quit yo jibbajabba

Ye ever try it lyin on the bed?

Me neither....

John Egans left boot

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 28, 2021, 09:24:35 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on April 28, 2021, 08:50:52 PM

Aye sure that's why they were installed.

Stayed in Queens elms a few summers ago on a trip to Belfast,  got it on Airbnb, have to say excellent set up, rooms spacious very comfortable, I think there was 3 options, I  took the middle one but was highly impressed  ,for a university halls compared to what we had down in UCC

johnnycool

Only the posh kids stayed in the halls back in the day. We'd to slum it in the Holylands.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2021, 09:30:47 AM

Only the posh kids stayed in the halls back in the day. We'd to slum it in the Holylands.

I got lucky down there, some really decent places (for us at the time), clean and tidy and decently priced.

I seen some of the messes my friends ended up in though....It was an early lesson in first come, first served.

Newbridge Exile

Is it the new Halls down in the city centre that were built a few years ago?

tbrick18

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 29, 2021, 09:35:51 AM

I got lucky down there, some really decent places (for us at the time), clean and tidy and decently priced.

I seen some of the messes my friends ended up in though....It was an early lesson in first come, first served.

It really was a race to get decent digs.
The halls were just too expensive in the 90s anyway, I'm sure it's worse now. I certainly couldn't afford it but would always have loved to have had a year in them.
We had some ropey houses....one on Fitzroy took the prize for being the worst in living history. We had rats, damp, no living room....it was dire. Thinking back on it I dont know why we ever stayed in it.

trailer

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 29, 2021, 10:16:47 AM

The halls were just too expensive in the 90s anyway, I'm sure it's worse now. I certainly couldn't afford it but would always have loved to have had a year in them.
We had some ropey houses....one on Fitzroy took the prize for being the worst in living history. We had rats, damp, no living room....it was dire. Thinking back on it I dont know why we ever stayed in it.

We stayed a few dumps ourselves. One of our landlords really should've been arrested the gaff was so bad. Leaking roof, shower that didn't work, electric heaters that went on in summer but not in winter. Looking back I don't know why we stayed in it either.

johnnycool

Dogshit Ave with the crusties was a dire place.

We'd a rat too in one of the houses, feckin thing ate a full slice of bread soaked in bleach and aftershave and was still kicking till it got a hurl across the skull one thursday night.
It was owned by a lovely wee old couple from Fermanagh, but the house was damp as f**k, so much so we deliberately set the chimney on fire by sticking a paling post up it. The burning embers floating out over Fitzroy was like fireworks.

tbrick18

Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2021, 10:32:07 AM

We'd a rat too in one of the houses, feckin thing ate a full slice of bread soaked in bleach and aftershave and was still kicking till it got a hurl across the skull one thursday night.
It was owned by a lovely wee old couple from Fermanagh, but the house was damp as f**k, so much so we deliberately set the chimney on fire by sticking a paling post up it. The burning embers floating out over Fitzroy was like fireworks.

Laird estate agents by any chance? They had every hole in Belfast on their books.
We lived in an upstairs flat above some auld fella who complained about us making noise opening the door to our flat, collected rubbish off the street and stored it in his flat and in the back yard and tended to walk around the place in his pj's which were opened wide for ventilation and left nothing to the imagination!
We got pissed off with him and watched for him leaving one day and glued an empty beer can to the step at the front door and then sat back to watch the auld cratur try to pick it up.
I think the flats were owned by the same guy who owned the spar shop down in the hollylands. Money grabbing heur.

johnnycool

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 29, 2021, 10:49:49 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2021, 10:32:07 AM

Laird estate agents by any chance? They had every hole in Belfast on their books.
We lived in an upstairs flat above some auld fella who complained about us making noise opening the door to our flat, collected rubbish off the street and stored it in his flat and in the back yard and tended to walk around the place in his pj's which were opened wide for ventilation and left nothing to the imagination!
We got pissed off with him and watched for him leaving one day and glued an empty beer can to the step at the front door and then sat back to watch the auld cratur try to pick it up.
I think the flats were owned by the same guy who owned the spar shop down in the hollylands. Money grabbing heur.

Nah, just a wee old couple who'd "invested" in one of those big red brick houses near the top of Fitzroy. I think we'd six in the flat paying £45 per month back in the early 90's.

The lad you're talking about hovered up a load of those houses back then but IIRC he had a wee chipshop in that area that made chip butties and the likes. He'd a full time handyman flying around in a van who spent a lot of time buying beds, mattresses, cookers and the likes at auctions and god knows wherever else. I think he owns that Spar now which was called Barry's back in the day. Dear hole.