Is it an huge advantage to be born in January for Sport?

Started by From the Bunker, June 07, 2021, 10:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

My brother was born on 1st January and I'd say it helped him a lot. He was significantly bigger, even for the older age groups, but having that extra year at underage was a benefit. He didn't stick at it much in senior but at underage he was outstanding. I was the end of the year, a week before Christmas, and I would have loved the extra year. The thing is though I still played 2 years above me so the flip side was that by playing with older players I got better myself. Once again,  like my brother, I was very big for my age so was able to physically handle it so the skill development happened easier as I wasn't being buffeted about

KickItInAndStartClapping

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 08, 2021, 08:17:49 AM
My brother was born on 1st January and I'd say it helped him a lot. He was significantly bigger, even for the older age groups, but having that extra year at underage was a benefit. He didn't stick at it much in senior but at underage he was outstanding. I was the end of the year, a week before Christmas, and I would have loved the extra year. The thing is though I still played 2 years above me so the flip side was that by playing with older players I got better myself. Once again,  like my brother, I was very big for my age so was able to physically handle it so the skill development happened easier as I wasn't being buffeted about

My story is similar to this. I was born early in January and won 4 G1 championships simultaneously winning POTY in 3/4 years. I have nothing to show for it now however as the alcohol and drugs got the better of me.

Rudi

Spare a thought for a lad I coached who's birthday is on the 31/12.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rudi on June 08, 2021, 03:04:51 PM

You'd curse your Mum!!! FFS mum, all ya had to do was hold out!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2021, 03:06:26 PM
Quote from: Rudi on June 08, 2021, 03:04:51 PM

You'd curse your Mum!!! FFS mum, all ya had to do was hold out!!

I used to curse her for not crossing the legs for a fortnight!

From the Bunker

A friend of mine's brother was born in January and he was born in December of the same year! They played underage on the same teams the whole way up! My mate is mildly bitter of having this disadvantage the whole way through his underage playing days!

MayoBuck

I was always very skinny growing up and being born in November just made things worse for soccer and Gaelic.

I filled out a bit in my early 20s but looking back, it cost me playing time for underage teams.

oakleaflad

The cut off point has to be somewhere and if it's moved to July the people with May or June birthdays will face the same issues. However, I agree with playing in their school years and the half a season at each half an age group idea would be something that could help development.

twohands!!!

I'm nearly sure that I heard something on the radio about this in the GAA a few years ago.

From what I remember someone doing a post-grad or a phd or something had looked at birthdays of intercounty squads and there was significantly more born at the start of the year versus those born at the end of the year.

trailer

Listen, it is a huge advantage being born regardless of the date.

befair

The GAA should make it compulsory that everyone be born on the same date