Oisin on talkback

Started by charlieTully, May 31, 2021, 03:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo_run

Didn't realise he lost a brother at an early age, for a child he would have had a shitload to deal with.

armaghniac

Quote from: Solo_run on May 31, 2021, 04:51:08 PM
Didn't realise he lost a brother at an early age, for a child he would have had a shitload to deal with.

Oisin was only a baby when his brother Thomas was drowned at a summer school in Rann na Feirste. He wouldn't remember, but it would have been a shadow in the house.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

Oisin McConville is one of the best GAA pundits around, he has no set agenda and generally calls the game as he sees it. He's definitely the best co-commentator when he is on BBC. I've noticed that he is increasingly also branching into non GAA media stuff, I wonder would a career in politics be somewhere he is heading towards. I think he would be best advised to stay away from it though, best stick to what he does best. 

6th sam

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2021, 05:32:35 PM
Oisin McConville is one of the best GAA pundits around, he has no set agenda and generally calls the game as he sees it. He's definitely the best co-commentator when he is on BBC. I've noticed that he is increasingly also branching into non GAA media stuff, I wonder would a career in politics be somewhere he is heading towards. I think he would be best advised to stay away from it though, best stick to what he does best.
Would agree. The likes of Oisín and Marty Clarke take pride in good quality analysis of the game itself , shoot from the hip, never afraid to give an opinion but steer clear of sound bites and personal insults. Oisín's contribution outside GAA speaks for itself.

yellowcard

Quote from: 6th sam on May 31, 2021, 05:53:07 PM
Would agree. The likes of Oisín and Marty Clarke take pride in good quality analysis of the game itself , shoot from the hip, never afraid to give an opinion but steer clear of sound bites and personal insults. Oisín's contribution outside GAA speaks for itself.

Yes, Clarke is very good also.

Eire90

Best talkback in ages because normal talkback is just another version of nolan.

Farrandeelin

Have to say he is very good as a pundit. It's a pity RTÉ don't have him on more often, instead of Dessie Dolan for instance.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

Him and Clarke are a level above what RTÉ have. Hopefully it's the start of them getting some half decent analysis.

brokencrossbar1

Was listening to him on the road home earlier. The funny thing is even though I've known him all my life I learned something about him today I never knew and in hindsight it makes an awful lot of sense for some stuff that happened. Proud to call him my friend but questioning some of his taste in music ;D

smelmoth

What about his point about encouraging Protestants to participate in Gaelic games?

This isn't something that will change quickly but comments like Oisin's will hopefully open up discussion so that we can build a broad base of gaels who think this is a good idea. The second step is come up with practical options on how to achieve it and then to get going with those solutions

Solo_run

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 31, 2021, 08:09:59 PM
Was listening to him on the road home earlier. The funny thing is even though I've known him all my life I learned something about him today I never knew and in hindsight it makes an awful lot of sense for some stuff that happened. Proud to call him my friend but questioning some of his taste in music ;D

Started of with Whitesnake and all downhill from there

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: smelmoth on May 31, 2021, 08:20:32 PM
What about his point about encouraging Protestants to participate in Gaelic games?

This isn't something that will change quickly but comments like Oisin's will hopefully open up discussion so that we can build a broad base of gaels who think this is a good idea. The second step is come up with practical options on how to achieve it and then to get going with those solutions

Probably refine that to Northern Protestants.

Its a very interesting one. When you think of the discussion about a United Ireland in the "General" area - and think of how unionists might be persuaded that in a UI they won't be trampled over and they will be a welcome party on the island - which may mean moderate "unionists" could vote for a UI if it was a compelling economic case - then the GAA is probably one of the cornerstones in making the case.

Would folks accept dropping the tricolour and national anthem if they knew it increased the chances of a UI within 20 years? Would that be against the charter of the GAA? Or would it be very much in keeping with what Michael Cusack et al were aiming for when founding the GAA?
i usse an speelchekor

smelmoth

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 31, 2021, 08:27:44 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 31, 2021, 08:20:32 PM

Probably refine that to Northern Protestants.

Its a very interesting one. When you think of the discussion about a United Ireland in the "General" area - and think of how unionists might be persuaded that in a UI they won't be trampled over and they will be a welcome party on the island - which may mean moderate "unionists" could vote for a UI if it was a compelling economic case - then the GAA is probably one of the cornerstones in making the case.

Would folks accept dropping the tricolour and national anthem if they knew it increased the chances of a UI within 20 years? Would that be against the charter of the GAA? Or would it be very much in keeping with what Michael Cusack et al were aiming for when founding the GAA?

Dropping the flag and anthem as a tactic to increase the chances of a United Ireland kind of misses the point

Solo_run

Middle class unionists probably won't have a huge problem with the anthem as they are likely to also be rugby fans and are down in Dublin for a lot of International games.

However, if there was to be a UI Unionists are going to be expected to drop GSTQ and I suppose the same would have to happen with Amhrán na bhFiann - regardless of whether it represents 90%+ of the island of Ireland. I suspect there would have to be a discussion about a flag that best represents a UI.

On the other hand, regardless of what compromises are or are not made a United Ireland is on the horizon. DUP's political views are not in keeping with modern society, they really screwed themselves over going into power with the Tories and paid no attention to what happened with the Lib Dems.