TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: An Watcher on May 11, 2021, 11:04:12 AM
Sad but after an accident or tragedy they say, its in the blood!! Very hard to sympathise in such a mad sport were you are taking your life in your hands

Very easy to sympathize. Impossible to understand. Some people in that game age just wired differently.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2021, 08:51:22 PM
Queen of the South is a really good show on Netflix
Well into the first series of this, I think it's very good, moves very quickly. Thumbs up for the recommendation
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on May 11, 2021, 11:13:29 AM
Sad but after an accident or tragedy they say, its in the blood!! Very hard to sympathise in such a mad sport were you are taking your life in your hands

Very easy to sympathize. Impossible to understand. Some people in that game age just wired differently.
That about covers it. It might as well be heroin for these fellas - they know it ultimately could take their life but they are compelled by it as the highs are worth it. You'd need the heart of a stone not to be moved by that race by Michael the day before his dad's funeral.

Main Street

Shtisel a soap type drama offers an interesting insight into the goings on in an ultra Charedi jew community in Israel. Though I find the viewing heavy going,  sometimes I can just take half an episode a day.

gallsman

Here in Spain, all 7 episodes of Mare of Easttown available on HBO. Might PM Main Street the spoilers.

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on May 11, 2021, 09:11:21 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 11, 2021, 12:54:24 AM
At present I'm well into Mare of Easttown,  a cross between a darker side of Fargo and the US version of The Killing. Kate Winslett on her own is the price of admission.

It's grim but totally agree with you it's got an interesting story and the acting is first class. Jean Smart as the Grandmother is brilliant as well definitely worth watching!
Well, after all the story is populated with  Sheehans and Fahy, even a  McMenamin from the caves of Tyrone,  we're looking at the dysfunctional self destructive outcomes of generations of intermarraige between  Irish immigrants. Add in the slimy feckin priests into the mix and you get Mare of Easttown.

bennydorano

Anybody got a link to Viewpoint Episode 5? See lots of bogus links on youtube

Decent show, the cancel culture w**k removing the series was just great, we had the first 4 episodes recorded rather than downloaded, so watched them and left hanging now

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on May 13, 2021, 05:29:19 PM
Anybody got a link to Viewpoint Episode 5? See lots of bogus links on youtube

Decent show, the cancel culture w**k removing the series was just great, we had the first 4 episodes recorded rather than downloaded, so watched them and left hanging now
It's available on Lime Torrents.

lurganblue

Formula 1. Drive to survive on Netflix is a quality series.  I don't even follow the sport but you don't need to.  Unbelievable the skills of those drivers.  I ruthless, cutthroat business too.

screenexile

Quote from: lurganblue on May 14, 2021, 11:10:17 AM
Formula 1. Drive to survive on Netflix is a quality series.  I don't even follow the sport but you don't need to.  Unbelievable the skills of those drivers.  I ruthless, cutthroat business too.

The majority of them are some pricks though... I suppose that's to be expected in that line of work but the arrogance in most of them is astounding at times! Daniel Riccardo isn't even that good he has some opinion of himself.

nrico2006

Anybody able to get links to the last 3 Mare of Easttown episodes?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnnycool

Quote from: gallsman on May 11, 2021, 11:13:29 AM

Watched it as well the other night. Great insight into that world of road racing.

Crazy at times with Roberts sons wanting to race in the NW on the Saturday after their father had died on the thursday practice due to the bike ceasing up.

Their skill and bravery is unparalleled in sport IMO and you have to admire that but pure madness all the same.

Milltown Row2

Have you watch the full 3 series? haven't watched the last one and Id be the same but friends of mine are mad for it and said its great, so me and the wife (who hates motor sports) really enjoyed it.

As Screen says they are up their own holes sometimes, but they have been built up to be like that from the very start of their careers ..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

themac_23

Late to the party but, so hard to pick a favourite between the wire and Sopranos for the best show both have class leads with unbelievable chemistry with the next stars, Bunk and McNulty are a class double act and Tony and his crew are top drawer too. I loved BB, Gomorah and the shield. I actually think Better Call Saul is a better show than BB, enjoy the story line of it.

started watching Billions a while back with the Mrs really enjoying it, mental how they get on in it but id say its not a kick in the arse off how them bankers in Wall Street are, how the other half live!

best shows

Sopranos/ wire
BCS
Gomorah
Entourage
The Shield

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2021, 12:19:53 PM

Have you watch the full 3 series? haven't watched the last one and Id be the same but friends of mine are mad for it and said its great, so me and the wife (who hates motor sports) really enjoyed it.

As Screen says they are up their own holes sometimes, but they have been built up to be like that from the very start of their careers ..

No i'm similar to yourself.  Just towards the end of the 2nd series. 

Oh aye they are all super arrogant and fully believe they are the best.  I suppose you have to be that way.  Team dynamics behind the scenes is class.  Teammates are really anything but.