Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

I must have been one of the last to get access to this controversial clip.
There is definitely more than one side to this.

There is a problem at CB level. There have been a small number of people rotating around positions (by their own choice) and hanging on to positions for no apparent reason. Staying onboard with a couple of influential guys does realistically seem to be key to getting in and staying in. In reality this is probably the same in most clubs and counties. But to constantly be talking about volunteers and a thankless job is not exactly true either, These guys clamber to get in there and hang on at all costs to stay there. I'm not suggesting there is financial gain, but there is a level of profile that seems to please certain guys. A few years ago we had a guy who had spent years trying to become Chairman, did his full term as Chairman, and then contested (and lost) 4 or 5 positions before eventually getting elected as PRO (beating a couple of younger guys who were trying to get involved). That's a strange way to carry on.

I want to see EB remain, and I hope it does happen. But, this is a guy who has played the media game for a long time now. We have had managers regularly who have been very good at creating a narrative for themselves in the National media and getting their excuses for leaving/failing well rooted and out there. Even St Micko went down this route on more than one occasion.
Brennan has done a very good job as manager, an excellent job if you remove the Dublin game this year. But he has also tried to be very clever in maintaining his media profile and there are times when appearances at National level in the media were clearly staged. The interviewer would appear well briefed beforehand etc. You can't keep burning things at both ends, eventually something like this happens. His primary duty was/is to Laois GAA and Laois Hurlers, not "staying in" with the likes of Parkinson. That last bit annoys me, and I know it won't be well received here.

It's hard to see a way out. Why the CB official quoted in a newspaper article today agreed to comment is beyond me. Horrific judgement on his part.

And for anyone who thinks an email to the CB would achieve anything...you'd be lucky to get a reply as a Club Officer, never mind a random supporter.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

High Fielder

A very fair and well written/balanced post Keyser.

redsetanta

Wouldn't be expecting a reply but if there were a few hundred emails it might make lads think twice before any decisions are made!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 12, 2020, 01:06:34 PM
And for anyone who thinks an email to the CB would achieve anything...you'd be lucky to get a reply as a Club Officer, never mind a random supporter.

You're spot on there Keyser. They ignore well intentioned delegates that try to bring about change to their faces. Emails wouldn't even be read.

Media pressure has worked as it causes embarrassment and forces them to do the minimum. Willie Hyland's epic open letter a few years ago, Cheddar's campaign for support for hurling and now Eddie. Shame the hoors. Only thing that seems to do anything. What's the worse that could happen - they will resign. Not as if it could get much worse.

SpeculativeEffort

The CB attitude is like moving cattle. Prod them with a stick and they will move in the direction you want them to but stop prodding and they will stand on the ditch filling their bellies and looking for a way to dodge the prodding.

We need a need breed of CB. One that is proactice, positive, brings new blood and ideas into the whole thing.

One person wont achieve anything but 5-6 with similar attitudes would be a start.

TheGiantSquid

Is there any chance any of the CB will step away or step down after getting this national slating. The general consensus from the clip is that EB is dead right and the CB are solid useless. Does anyone actually disagree with this?

High Fielder

It will be interesting to see the fallout from that meeting. If they're going in to make sure Tom, Dick and Harry's feelings are not too hurt, then they shouldn't bother their arses. A change in approach is needed from the CB and side discussions about apologies are just that. Brennan needs to stick to his guns now. By all means apologise for the personal insults, but don't spare the whip in slapping up their deficiencies to them. We've been in a coma in Laois for years with our approach to our games and administration. I'd love to think this is a fork in the road, but I'm not holding my breath.

High Fielder

Quote from: TheGiantSquid on November 12, 2020, 06:15:26 PM
Is there any chance any of the CB will step away or step down after getting this national slating. The general consensus from the clip is that EB is dead right and the CB are solid useless. Does anyone actually disagree with this?

Unlikely imo. If anything, lads who served their time only wanted to serve more in a different capacity, as Keyser pointed out. I guarantee you they are stinging right now, but only because their pride has been hurt. I doubt they even heard Eddie's main points

portlaoisekid

IMO next weeks meeting  is for one thing and one thing only , so the lads on the CB get their pound of flesh .No matter what the public think the CB will not give Brennan the extra year. 

It just shows one thing, the CB have an open door to push to do the right thing and say to Brennan yes you shouldnt have said that about us and more fool us for making you think that but let's build on the last 2 years and finally make Laois hurling progress at a national level.

Just a pity they wont push that open door, they will revert to type because they are more important than the players who committed,  more important than laois supporters sitting in Croke Park on all Ireland 1/4 final day going toe to toe with Tipp who thought they would never see the day and far more important than Laois hurling succeeding.

Is it any wonder players/supporters give up .

beano

seafoid

If Laois kick on from here with Brennan they could be a top 6 county within a few years.
I really hope he stays for the sake of young lads hurling in Laois.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

town1980

Yee are forgetting that Eddie was totally lined up with what Parkinson did,,, he did say off the record he was chatting to someone who is interviewing a lot of people and he was taken advantage of ,, I for one don't blame Eddie I blame the guy who did the interview for his own personal gain in getting ratings for joe.ie,,, the man is very competitive and has done a wonderful job ..I can't see him staying on I think he should just step away himself he has made our inadequate Gaa leaders in Laois look like clowns with no ambition,, when he goes we will be back bottom of the barrel but  yet we will still vote in inadequate
Leaders who hire and fire the people who are supposed to bring us Laois forward when let's be fair Eddie has stated they couldn't give a hoot n both codes

finbar o tool

This is about more than Eddie Brennan. I hope Eddie stays and I hope the CB commit to getting him extra resources. But the point is, it's about the CB taking a new approach of forward thinking, forward planning, that the supports and resources will be there, and will continue to grow, when Eddie Brennan is gone, and when the next manager after him is gone. That's the point here. The CB need to grasp this quick or step aside and let other people drive it on.
I will say, the CB positions are not easy positions and respect to all who step up to do it. But stepping up to stand in for photos is not enough anymore, as a previous poster said, they need to be proactive, work hard in those CB positions to ensure there is better supports and resources that are growing on a continuous basis for the future. That's the point the CB here don't get IMO.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Leixlad

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 12, 2020, 08:16:27 PM
IMO next weeks meeting  is for one thing and one thing only , so the lads on the CB get their pound of flesh .No matter what the public think the CB will not give Brennan the extra year. 

It just shows one thing, the CB have an open door to push to do the right thing and say to Brennan yes you shouldnt have said that about us and more fool us for making you think that but let's build on the last 2 years and finally make Laois hurling progress at a national level.

Just a pity they wont push that open door, they will revert to type because they are more important than the players who committed,  more important than laois supporters sitting in Croke Park on all Ireland 1/4 final day going toe to toe with Tipp who thought they would never see the day and far more important than Laois hurling succeeding.

Is it any wonder players/supporters give up .

That's it in a nutshell, well summed up.