Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

What running a financially prudent County Board ?   Volunteering countless hours to be insulted.  Has the Center of Excellence being built for free ?  Have the new lights in O Moore Park being magically financed.    Eddie, Mike volunteering ?  Alot of people coming up with magical solutions that simply won't happen.   If any of you want to put your name forward to either raise money or put time in on the County Board I will happily vote for you.  Would you do it to be insulted like this ?  Easy to call names much harder to slog along for little gratitude. Do you honestly think Tom Brennan or Cathal Jackson have not already been spoken to regarding sponsorship,  I think both already do to some degree.

The Saint

There's no way that conversation was intended for the public domain. He even started the conversation by saying 'obviously, this is off the record'. With that said, he shouldn't have pulled the footballers and Quirke into it. His position is untenable now, not a hope he can stay after slating left, right and centre around him. Not too much wrong with what he said, but he's left it in a way that himself and the county board couldn't possibly work together again. And that's a great shame.. you really felt the hurlers could do something big if they'd complete but in from everyone

Giovanni

Nobody could deny the work that has been done with the CoE etc. No one could argue that the County Board shouldn't be financially prudent. Of course they should. But financial prudence is about investing wisely and ensuring that expenditure matches income. If you want to improve, you need to find ways to generate more income. That's not an unreasonable position and doesn't imply that the achievements of the county board are in any way diminished.

Giovanni

Quote from: The Saint on November 09, 2020, 09:35:26 PM
There's no way that conversation was intended for the public domain. He even started the conversation by saying 'obviously, this is off the record'. With that said, he shouldn't have pulled the footballers and Quirke into it. His position is untenable now, not a hope he can stay after slating left, right and centre around him. Not too much wrong with what he said, but he's left it in a way that himself and the county board couldn't possibly work together again. And that's a great shame.. you really felt the hurlers could do something big if they'd complete but in from everyone

What slating?

The Saint

Are there two versions of this out there? 'If the county board came to my door I wouldn't give them a fuckin fiver' ... 'X hasn't got a fuckin scoobydoo'... 'X didn't even fuckin know Derek Mcgrath, had to be tipped on the shoulder to stop calling him Ken McGrath'.... 'they got Derek McGrath for free and almost fucked that up too, very nearly messed it up completely in March'. Might not be exactly 100% word for word but it's very close if it's not. If I was on the receiving end of it I'd be fairly certain I got a slating 😂

burdizzo

Well then, yes - obviously one version has been cleaned up! A bit of a boo-boo on Eddie's part, for sure.

Giovanni

Quote from: The Saint on November 09, 2020, 09:54:16 PM
Are there two versions of this out there? 'If the county board came to my door I wouldn't give them a fuckin fiver' ... 'X hasn't got a fuckin scoobydoo'... 'X didn't even fuckin know Derek Mcgrath, had to be tipped on the shoulder to stop calling him Ken McGrath'.... 'they got Derek McGrath for free and almost fucked that up too, very nearly messed it up completely in March'. Might not be exactly 100% word for word but it's very close if it's not. If I was on the receiving end of it I'd be fairly certain I got a slating 😂

Definitely not on the version I heard. I'd be surprised and disappointed if something like that was published by a media outlet

burdizzo

Buff Egan has it now.
Yeah, could go one of two ways, but there'd be a lot of humble pie to be scoffed by a lot of people for it to go the way we'd like!

redsetanta

In fairness it was a private discussion between two lads with a vested interest in the subject matter that's gone public. I would think both men are mortified. Hard to see Eddie surviving and the knives will be out for Wooly. It'll be another typical Laois f**k up story again.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laois Rising

Unfortunately there was a five minute conversation between Wooly and Eddie after the official interview that was left in Wooly's podcast that went out.

Easy for Eddie to say that Kilkenny put the money into their hurling team when they barely spend more than a couple of hundred euro on their football team. Laois is a small county trying to complete in both hurling and football. When they release the annual expenditure of each county on their intercounty teams, Laois regularly fall somewhere not far outside the top 10 spending counties year on year. That for a county our size is no mean feat, especially when you can't entice financial backers with promises of provincial and all-Ireland success to row in behind. We also have a stadium the envy of most counties and a new centre of excellence that should be commended.

If lads want to take cheap shots off of county board officials that's their own prerogative but it is important to show perspective and some reality. Can things be done better in the county-absolutely. There is no denying or dismissing that. We have seen some good initiatives not followed through or built upon the way they should within the county e.g. underage hurling programme and structural reforms. However, to do these things properly needs huge financial investment. Unfortunately, there is not an bottomless money pit in Laois GAA and those on our county board are doing their best to make what money we do have stretch. Our problem is the same problem faced by the majority of other counties across Ireland.

G@@

Quote from: redsetanta on November 09, 2020, 11:13:09 PM
In fairness it was a private discussion between two lads with a vested interest in the subject matter that's gone public. I would think both men are mortified. Hard to see Eddie surviving and the knives will be out for Wooly. It'll be another typical Laois f**k up story again.

I wouldn't agree with the part highlighted. This was nothing to do with Laois GAA or someone associated with Laois GAA actually *wanting* to wash their laundry in public. This was at best a monumental f**k-up by the media and at worst a lousy rotten thing to do by them as some sort of sensational inside scoop. I'll let people be the judge of that themselves.

Either-way, I think the Laois hurling public have to get vocal in supporting Brennan to try and influence the impending fall-out. With enough public support for Brennan, the CB won't want to be seen as Trump-esque and firing him because "he hurt my feelings". If the CB fire Brennan then they have no guts.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

High Fielder

In my opinion Brennan was off anyway. Like Sugrue, he's fed up training the second, third and fourth best that Laois have to offer. Nobody's fault really and the interview is a side show.

Zooming around

Quote from: High Fielder on November 10, 2020, 12:37:06 AM
In my opinion Brennan was off anyway. Like Sugrue, he's fed up training the second, third and fourth best that Laois have to offer. Nobody's fault really and the interview is a side show.

I don't think he was off. He indicated in a couple of post match interviews that he wanted to stay. He is very passionate about this job and sees the potential for real improvement. Unfortunately, as i said earlier, our county board does not match his ambition. Hurling is a nuisance to most lads in the top positions in Laois

BallyroanAbu

If Laois County Board don't sack him, it's not going to play out very well.  There is now a tension between the two sides,  which was not created by the County Board.  Managers constantly spout on about "professionalism" (berating your employer on National Media "professional" ) and using County Boards as a fall guy.  Quite simply the money is not there,  the GAA is not just there to facilitate senior teams.  There is a delusion among plenty of people that the GAA is all about the main team.  Laois GAA are naïve in they constantly allow the cult of manager to grow to the detriment of the organization.  This again chips away at the Laois GAA Brand, If they are constantly been ran down how can you respect them ?  On  a personal level I find them very efficient if a little overran from the constant demands placed upon them. 

These outside manager only serve themselves and not Laois,  it's constant short-termism.  Eddie in some parts is being held up as the wronged when he insulted and berated the County Board.  It's always the same in this County,  the unpaid unhearlded County Board (trying to keep the whole thing running on pittance) are portrayed as the bad guys.  The Manager who gets paid "expenses" builds up unrealistic expectations is the hero and in the end the real victim is Laois GAA.

I'd be highly skeptical that Eddie is going to a higher level county,  other County Boards will be reluctant after this,  not many are comfortable in the media bubble.

portlaoisekid

We all know what he said is true but lets face it he was gone anyway. There is only one loser in all this and that's Laois hurling, is Brennan the oracle? no but he made us become a better team and aside from Cheddar its a long time since we saw that. They both set standards high and wanted to aim even higher, both hit a brick wall and left. This cycle will never end as our CB don't give a toss about long term success for hurling in this county.

CB are on the hit list as usual for not meeting these standards but also lets not forget that its no secret how disappointed Brennan has been with lads not committing. We need those not committing to play and they wont, so once again standards not being met . So there's more at play than our CB and from what I hear that's as much of an issue as our CB for the mgt team.

At the end of the day Brennan comes out of this smelling of roses and will probably rock up at a high level county with Corcoran and achieve success.