Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portlaoisekid

Lads ye can talk about whoever you want as manager, it doesn't matter who comes in because ambition is not met well in this county and its plain as day they will not get the support they need.

We will get someone who will play by the rules in place i.e. come in, take what your given  and don't rock the boat.

I guess they will go hard to get a big name on the ticket but I don't trust them one iota to get a person in who is desperate for Laois to succeed. Derek McGrath in doing a small bit of coaching with a Laois man as manager is my random call...

clonadmad

Quote from: Laoisred on November 24, 2020, 03:14:20 PM
Incorrect, Eamonn Kelly managed Boherlahan to Tipp Junior title a few months after leaving Laois. Then went to Judes in Dublin.
Why not go for Sheflin or Herity. You'd never know. Arien Delaney was the front runner last time and no one even mentioned Brennan. Could be the same this time!

he was in charge of Boherlahans juniors as well after his own juniors

That's his level

Shefflin is gone to Bennett'sbridge for 2021,one phone call to brennan will set him straight as regards Laois.

One of our own would be the best option,because anyone we get from outside will be a journeyman on the circuit.

HURLING1

We have never got all our best hurlers to commit  and after this fiasco can only see it getting worse.
A county career is long term and in other counties when a manager leaves the professional structures remain but in Laois its back to amateur hour.
Some on here saying Eddie hasn't achieved much.
My god some of our defeats are quickly forgotten.
Cork scored 10 20 against us!!!

Silkyskillssunshinee

Unfortunately, I'm not sure appointing one of our own will generate the same level of interest and enthusiasm that players showed in their committment under Brennan. There was a genuine buzz around hurling in the county that I think has been silenced today.

Giovanni

I'm not sure what management organisation would get away with a situation where one of its prized assets is allowed to/forced to walk away. The view of supporters is clear (although no-one really cares what they think). The view of the players seems to be also fairly clear. I can't imagine that sponsors would be over the moon about losing someone like Eddie Brennan who brought some profile to the county. So who benefits? Maybe the Country Board itself, who have one less irritation to deal with and definitely some other county who will pick him up and certainly prosper. It really is a shambles.

Helix.

Very disappointing news today but unfortunately was the most likely outcome with Eddie leaving. Niall Corcoran as well big loss in training set. Wouldn't surprise me if Dublin are ringing about their availability after today. Definitely improved first touch and self belief that players can compete. Hopefully that continues with next appointment.
Mick Dempsey I wonder would there be any appetite to get involved. Following years with Kilkenny would be another name and highly rated in Kilkenny with Cody.

As echoed by Ogie need to be putting priorities back in underage structures and trying to get underage teams to compete in Leinster. If we start relying and expecting an outsider person to develop and sustain progress we're going to go nowhere. At both codes. We keep looking for a messiah to turn water into wine.

redsetanta

I would agree that the underage set up should be prioritised but that's not the job of the senior county manager. His job is to look after the senior hurlers. The county boards job is to ensure that the underage structures are right. Can't see what the connection is or should be between between Eddie Brennan as manager and our underage set up?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

clonadmad

Quote from: Helix. on November 24, 2020, 05:18:41 PM
Very disappointing news today but unfortunately was the most likely outcome with Eddie leaving. Niall Corcoran as well big loss in training set. Wouldn't surprise me if Dublin are ringing about their availability after today. Definitely improved first touch and self belief that players can compete. Hopefully that continues with next appointment.
Mick Dempsey I wonder would there be any appetite to get involved. Following years with Kilkenny would be another name and highly rated in Kilkenny with Cody.

As echoed by Ogie need to be putting priorities back in underage structures and trying to get underage teams to compete in Leinster. If we start relying and expecting an outsider person to develop and sustain progress we're going to go nowhere. At both codes. We keep looking for a messiah to turn water into wine.

The senior manager is at the end of the conveyor belt and has to make do with what comes off the line,which was started 15-20 years previously.

I don't care if your Cody but if the infrastructure isn't there at juvenile,your at nothing as Cork have and are learning the hard way.

Hopefully brennans departure might spur a root and Branch shake of hurling development and coaching within the county

I doubt it though

Helix.

Quote from: redsetanta on November 24, 2020, 05:35:46 PM

I would agree that the underage set up should be prioritised but that's not the job of the senior county manager. His job is to look after the senior hurlers. The county boards job is to ensure that the underage structures are right. Can't see what the connection is or should be between between Eddie Brennan as manager and our underage set up?

I agree of course Senior manager has no input over underage structure. No question we need a decent manager that goes without saying. Of course we would have liked him to commit for another year but we have to be realistic that Brennan was handed a 2 year term.

Chrimtain

I would love to see or hear an interview with the county board members on Laois Today / Midlands Radio 3 / Leinster Express regarding what they see as their mission and vision for Laois GAA.

G@@

https://twitter.com/Offaly_GAA/status/1331297266368458757?s=20

Even the lads north of us are trying to get their house in order - do we have to wait here to be in Christy Ring Cup too to start a similar process?
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

clonadmad

Quote from: G@@ on November 24, 2020, 07:44:48 PM
https://twitter.com/Offaly_GAA/status/1331297266368458757?s=20

Even the lads north of us are trying to get their house in order - do we have to wait here to be in Christy Ring Cup too to start a similar process?

If getting our house in order is the production of strategic plans which then are ignored and gather dust

We are well ahead of Offaly

The same was done here in 2017 lots of consultations and surveys with "stakeholders"

Here's the plan for 2018-2020

High on aspiration,low on concrete final product

https://laoisgaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Laois-GAA-Strategic-and-Action-Plan-2018-2020.pdf

Laois Rising

Had a quick look through plan and it's all fluff with no substance. A major flaw with any plan is where individual members are not designated to over see tasks. That is the first step to actually bringing about change. Name the individual(s) whose responsibility it is to implement the desired change and have them report back their progress on a regular basis to management/county board. Writing down in strategic plan that the responsibility for completing tasks is that of county board means nothing will be achieved as the onus lies with no one to achieve getting something done or implemented.

Any good organisation would divide work out accordingly. Set realistic targets, and give people responsibility for getting it done. If individuals fail to reach targets or get work done then clearly they shouldn't be in the roles they are in.

clonadmad

Quote from: Laois Rising on November 24, 2020, 10:48:42 PM
Had a quick look through plan and it's all fluff with no substance. A major flaw with any plan is where individual members are not designated to over see tasks. That is the first step to actually bringing about change. Name the individual(s) whose responsibility it is to implement the desired change and have them report back their progress on a regular basis to management/county board. Writing down in strategic plan that the responsibility for completing tasks is that of county board means nothing will be achieved as the onus lies with no one to achieve getting something done or implemented.

Any good organisation would divide work out accordingly. Set realistic targets, and give people responsibility for getting it done. If individuals fail to reach targets or get work done then clearly they shouldn't be in the roles they are in.

That works in a business setting

Much harder to name people and make them personally responsible when everyone is a volunteer and there on a year by year basis

I presume you raised this very point at your clubs meeting when they sent out people to canvass the views of members for inclusion in the report?

If you didn't

Don't worry,those strategic reviews are like buses

another one will be along shortly

Keyser Söze

We need to regain perspective here.
Ultimately (and it was always going to happen) Eddie went when it suited Eddie. He is the least deserving of sympathy in all of this. He played the media game big time over his time with Laois and (presumably by accident) it backfired.
Still, he played the game to the end and no matter what the reasons for leaving actually were, he comes out of it blameless and with all major reporters out to bat for him.

Still, I disagree strongly with Ogie, and I wouldn't underestimate how good a job he did. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you take a similar position when Cheddar was leaving? Basically he's not all that and we can find a better manager. Maybe it was Finbarr. Well it wasn't that simple to find an adequate replacement then, and it probably won't be now.

I was impressed with the quotes I saw from Enda Rowland, looking forward rather than lamenting. He is correct. Talk of U-Turns etc is nonsense.
Eddie looked after Eddie (Enda didn't say that) and he was always going to. The only positive is that the CB are under serious pressure with this appointment, and it will be scrutinized to the last both locally and nationally. That can only be a good thing for those of us who would like Laois hurling to progress.

The players can't decide who comes in next or how they operate. But we do need some mechanism whereby they can ensure what worked well over the past few years is maintained and integrated into the new man's system.
This is an unusual position for Laois to be in, unusually we are not looking for someone to come in, rip up the script and start from scratch. It will take somebody with a certain level of humility and awareness to realize that there's something there to build on.

Kevin Lally & TJ Ryan among the more interesting ones mentioned here so far to my mind.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......