The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: Ogie on March 22, 2021, 10:26:37 AM
I sincerely hope there's not a wait & see policy, get left behind again,
Offaly have gotten their house in order & are doing a lot more than we are, we were looking for more from our GDA's I think this is a brilliant way to maximise,
Approx 6k per year is money well spent rather than a Journy man senior manager in a lot of clubs.
I agree I think it's def a three club per gda deal for most of our clubs, splitting the hours and money, except maybe for Portlaoise who could probably use one full time .

There's a GPO In tullamore,edenderry and one shared between Drumcullen/Rath and Seir Kieran with more in the pipeline

Hopefully the willpower is here in laois for the likes of Portlaoise and Port to put in one of their own and small progressive rural clubs similar to Rath to fund a third of a GPO also.

My understanding is also that the CB will have call on these GPO also to help with development squads summer camps,Clubs won't have access to them full time.

We also need to get our GDA numbers back up as well,I think,we were given a budget by Croke Park for 5 and a games manager 

If we don't get those numbers up quickly,there's a chance given the current climate that budget not being spent might be taken off us and spent elsewhere 

redsetanta

€6k per annum is just over €100 per week.

There are clubs paying €100 a session to a coach so it should be a no brainer to get this done.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on March 22, 2021, 11:11:08 AM
Offaly have gotten their house in order & are doing a lot more than we are, we were looking for more from our GDA's I think this is a brilliant way to maximise,
Approx 6k per year is money well spent rather than a Journy man senior manager in a lot of clubs.
I agree I think it's def a three club per gda deal for most of our clubs, splitting the hours and money, except maybe for Portlaoise who could probably use one full time .

There's a GPO In tullamore,edenderry and one shared between Drumcullen/Rath and Seir Kieran with more in the pipeline

Hopefully the willpower is here in laois for the likes of Portlaoise and Port to put in one of their own and small progressive rural clubs similar to Rath to fund a third of a GPO also.

My understanding is also that the CB will have call on these GPO also to help with development squads summer camps,Clubs won't have access to them full time.

We also need to get our GDA numbers back up as well,I think,we were given a budget by Croke Park for 5 and a games manager 

If we don't get those numbers up quickly,there's a chance given the current climate that budget not being spent might be taken off us and spent elsewhere

I'm gone away from that side of things and age groups in my club but how many GDAs do we have now?

clonadmad

Quote from: Zooming around on March 22, 2021, 03:48:53 PM

I'm gone away from that side of things and age groups in my club but how many GDAs do we have now?

My understanding is, and I'm open to correction here is that with Peter Hallys departure last year,we are down to 3 GDA's plus Mike Henchy the Games Manager,which leaves 2 vacant posts which are there to be filled.

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on March 22, 2021, 07:22:41 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on March 22, 2021, 03:48:53 PM

My understanding is, and I'm open to correction here is that with Peter Hallys departure last year,we are down to 3 GDA's plus Mike Henchy the Games Manager,which leaves 2 vacant posts which are there to be filled.

Why are these positions not being filled?

clonadmad

Duignan has gotten the bit between his teeth in Offaly

So far He has cleared with shane Lowry and others involvement,the Debt on the CoE in Kilcormac

The Cb debt is halved after this week to €100k and the 41 clubs got an extra €100k due to the fundraiser they ran.

They now have a games manager gone in,
4 GDA's
3 GPO's in Situ

With another 8 GPO's being actively recruited and to be in place in the clubs for this summer

Keyser Söze

Is this the bones of what they have announced for football & hurling over the last week or so? It was fairly lacking in detail

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 19, 2020, 10:23:41 AM
I feel I've already explained what I mean. See quoted message below.

A group/panel/unit in which we group those leaving minor & not going straight to U20. So you would have two years worth in there at any one time; 18 & 19 year olds.
They are brought together at regular intervals during this two years. They are given the best of direction etc re S&C and tested regularly to ensure accountability.
We perform pitifully at u21/u20 most years. And that's going back decades.
Sending players back to their clubs & forgetting about them until December/January of their u20 year is not going to work, it never has. We then spend 3 months trying (& failing) to get them up to speed physically for U20. Time is very limited with this group (and time spent trying to catch up physicall  is time that should be spent on hurling).

This
Wouldn't cost a fortune
Wouldn't take players away from clubs
Wouldn't expect players to give up more than 2/3 nights a month for collective work

Could lead to a physically well prepared U20 team each year
Could increase standards & accountability among the group
Could lead to better results at u20 level
Could provide a pool of players to help boost numbers at u20 level when they are tight due to seniors
Could provide a pathway for late developers to turn into Senior IC players .

Or we can do as you suggest and hope that hurling in the leagues & club championship for 2 years while tipping away to various levels & standards themselves at S&C will work.

The information, techniques & general standard of conditioning covered as you mention at U13s & U15s isn't in the same ballpark as conditioning for u20/senior level. It's not a case of doing the same thing for 5 years and getting fitter and stronger. Bodies adapt, change & react in different ways. That's why Senior IC teams carry serious cutting edge people in this area. By your logic they are barely required- sure the players already know what to do from their days in Development Squads.

If the person coordinating this group was a CB employee it would work best.
They would then be available to provide assistance (remotely or in person) in between the group sessions.
The same person could coordinate both the football & hurling groups.

It's an opinion/suggestion etc. You don't have to agree with it. But I don't think you can argue that we have managed the transition from 18-21/17-20 successfully over the past 30 years.

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 18, 2020, 02:23:19 PM
I understand that there are good S&C programmes available for all squads...but what happens to the guys betweet U17 & U20 was my point. It is when they are not officially part of Inter County squads is the problem (or opportunity).
Granted a small number will progress almost immediately to U20 and will be looked after there.
BUT
In 3 years time, they will need the bulk of yesterdays squad (the guys who won't play U20 in 2021 or 2022) to be equally up to scratch S&C wise in order to stand any chance of competing.
It's what happens these guys that will determine the ability of an U20 panel to compete in 2023 (or any year).
They won't disappear in October 2020 and magically reappear as Inter County level athletes in December 2022.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Well done to Portlaoise for leading the way

clonadmad

LAOIS MINOR HURLING PANEL 2021

Tom Cuddy (Camross)
Eoghan Cuddy (Camross)
Ryan Cuddy (Camross)
Cathal Cuddy (Camross)
Kevin Byrne (Camross)
Aaron Phelan (Castletown)
Conor Doran (Castletown)
Ciaran McKelvey (Castletown)
Rory Kelly (Castletown)
Jack Breen (Castletown)
Thomas Brennan (Clough-Ballacolla)
Peter Rafter (Clough-Ballacolla)
Joe Pearson (Clough-Ballacolla)
Cormac Hogan (Clough-Ballacolla)
Kevin Hyland (Clough-Ballacolla)
Ciaran Flynn (The Harps)
Bobby Murphy (The Harps)
Cody Comerford (The Harps)
Andrew McDonagh (Ballinakill)
Ryan Quinlan (Ballinakill)
Brian Duggan (Ballinakill)
Ciaran Coss (Borris-Kilcotton)
Jer Quinlan (Borris-Kilcotton)
Diarmuid Dooley (Rosenallis)
Jimmy Hyland (Rosenallis)
Colin Byrne (Abbeyleix)
Liam Kavanagh (Abbeyleix)
Brochan O'Reilly (Portlaoise)
Barry Fitzpatrick (Portlaoise)
Conor Fitzpatrick (Park-Ratheniska-Timahoe)
Jonah Kelly (Park-Ratheniska-Timahoe)
Michael Cleary (Rathdowney-Errill)

Spiritof1915

Quote from: clonadmad on June 02, 2021, 09:38:02 AM
LAOIS MINOR HURLING PANEL 2021

Tom Cuddy (Camross)
Eoghan Cuddy (Camross)
Ryan Cuddy (Camross)
Cathal Cuddy (Camross)
Kevin Byrne (Camross)
Aaron Phelan (Castletown)
Conor Doran (Castletown)
Ciaran McKelvey (Castletown)
Rory Kelly (Castletown)
Jack Breen (Castletown)
Thomas Brennan (Clough-Ballacolla)
Peter Rafter (Clough-Ballacolla)
Joe Pearson (Clough-Ballacolla)
Cormac Hogan (Clough-Ballacolla)
Kevin Hyland (Clough-Ballacolla)
Ciaran Flynn (The Harps)
Bobby Murphy (The Harps)
Cody Comerford (The Harps)
Andrew McDonagh (Ballinakill)
Ryan Quinlan (Ballinakill)
Brian Duggan (Ballinakill)
Ciaran Coss (Borris-Kilcotton)
Jer Quinlan (Borris-Kilcotton)
Diarmuid Dooley (Rosenallis)
Jimmy Hyland (Rosenallis)
Colin Byrne (Abbeyleix)
Liam Kavanagh (Abbeyleix)
Brochan O'Reilly (Portlaoise)
Barry Fitzpatrick (Portlaoise)
Conor Fitzpatrick (Park-Ratheniska-Timahoe)
Jonah Kelly (Park-Ratheniska-Timahoe)
Michael Cleary (Rathdowney-Errill)
Good spread of clubs. Thought there'd be more from portlaoise who are hot favourites for this year's club championship apparently.

Joeythelips

How do people rate this squad, seems like some players with plenty of experience at this level based on last minor squad. As someone who is not living in the country it is hard to know.

Zooming around

looks like a physically strong squad. Lots of tall athletic players with good skill levels which I hope they'll get a chance to show.

clonadmad

Under 17 Hurling Gradings 2021

Roinn A (7 teams)
Borris-in-Ossory Kilcotton
Camross
Castletown
Portlaoise
Rathdowney Errill
St. Lazerians Abbeyleix
The Harps

Roinn B  (7)
Ballinakill/Ballypickas