The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 28, 2021, 11:44:03 AM
His record and history stands up to scrutiny a little better than other elements of last years management.
The people who were "fucked out" might do well to reflect on their management over the 3-4 years leading up to 2020. It's been covered in detail here before.
I'd take DM's continued involvement over theirs.
From what I've heard, so would the players.
I completely agree. This years management have no vested interest in how their sons will hurl. There all vibrant ex players who played to a high standard and are 'in there' i believe for the betterment of Laois hurling. This year takes on more significance after the complete and utter shitshow of last year.
As regards mc grath i believe he had no part in picking the panel or team for last years squad. So maybe he ll have a more hands on role this year. Its where he has excelled and made his name over the years.
2 examples of how bad last years management was.
- the corner forward replacing the corner back after 20 mins to man mark offalys most dangerous forward. . Unbelievable.
- laois had a player who marked said forward in 2 schools games to great effect but was left sitting at home because the manager didnt like him.

Zooming around

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 28, 2021, 11:44:03 AM
His record and history stands up to scrutiny a little better than other elements of last years management.
The people who were "fucked out" might do well to reflect on their management over the 3-4 years leading up to 2020. It's been covered in detail here before.

Is this the same management who achieved so much with this group before his arrival. A management who managed to beat Offaly out the gate on numerous occasions before he strangled the players.

They brought on a talented group to achieve their potential resulting in Laois hurling's biggest achievement in years

That's your opinion, no problem, but I disagree with you.

Not any players or their parents that i know, but shur maybe we just hear different things.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Zooming around on January 28, 2021, 02:56:19 PM
They brought on a talented group to achieve their potential resulting in Laois hurling's biggest achievement in years

Sounds like some failure of management? To bring somebody in as part of your coaching team in order to get a job. And then to stand idly by as they proceeded to strangle the life out of a group you were personally responsible for "coaching" to a high performing level up to that point.
Very poor management.
Very poor.
Not good enough.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

finbar o tool

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 28, 2021, 04:34:11 PM

Sounds like some failure of management? To bring somebody in as part of your coaching team in order to get a job. And then to stand idly by as they proceeded to strangle the life out of a group you were personally responsible for "coaching" to a high performing level up to that point.
Very poor management.
Very poor.
Not good enough.

Absolutely. Spot. On. 👏🏻
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Zooming around

Very poor management.
Very poor.
Not good enough.

Interesting deflection but at least you're accepting what the problem is.

Keyser Söze

Ogie

I think it's brilliant to have kept Derek McGrath on board, I'd imagine he was massively disappointed with how the year ended, he wanted more help this year and looks like he got some eager guys.
Declan & Tadgh were involved with this squad up along.

steven seagal

QuoteIt's amazing to think that last year's management got slated for the loss to Offaly, yet the one part of that management most responsible is still part of the new management. His stupid playing style completely restricted a talented bunch who had done well up to him getting involved. He completely changed their style of play with backs trying to attack and good scoring forwards playing as sweepers instead of letting them play their natural game. The only thing he has achieved with this bunch is to turn a 52 point win over Offaly into a big loss. A complete disaster and he should have been fucked out on his ear. If he's that good why do lads who refused to hurl for Waterford under him continue to return to the panel now. A quick listen to him on the Sunday Game confirms what he really is, a complete bluffer.

God aren't we terrible unlucky in Laois, we go and get a fella in who has won two Harty Cups, two All-Ireland Colleges titles, a National League title and who brought a team to an All-Ireland final, only for it turn out he actually doesn't know anything about hurling and is a complete bluffer. Gosh, what poor luck for us.

clonadmad

Quote from: steven seagal on January 30, 2021, 04:03:32 PM
QuoteIt's amazing to think that last year's management got slated for the loss to Offaly, yet the one part of that management most responsible is still part of the new management. His stupid playing style completely restricted a talented bunch who had done well up to him getting involved. He completely changed their style of play with backs trying to attack and good scoring forwards playing as sweepers instead of letting them play their natural game. The only thing he has achieved with this bunch is to turn a 52 point win over Offaly into a big loss. A complete disaster and he should have been fucked out on his ear. If he's that good why do lads who refused to hurl for Waterford under him continue to return to the panel now. A quick listen to him on the Sunday Game confirms what he really is, a complete bluffer.

God aren't we terrible unlucky in Laois, we go and get a fella in who has won two Harty Cups, two All-Ireland Colleges titles, a National League title and who brought a team to an All-Ireland final, only for it turn out he actually doesn't know anything about hurling and is a complete bluffer. Gosh, what poor luck for us.

Given the management team we now have on board

What does everyone on here thiink success looks like for this minor squad and management

Leinster final appearence?

Winning one game

Beating offaly?

Beating wex/kk/dublin?

Winning a game

Spiritof1915

Difficult to assess. Only 3 players eligible this year started on last years team and another player coming on as a sub. But another 10 to 15 on the extended panel. The more i think of it, its a very positive sign McGrath staying on as he undoubtedly likes what he sees from the panel this year.

I think they should have enough to make a semi final and seriously compete with wex/dub and gain revenge against Offaly. Obviously it all depends on what way they structure the competition. Kilkenny as always will be the benchmark.

The have a nice spread of players and as one commentator stated some quality forwards. Portlaoise are the dominant club team at this grade up the years so hopefully they will supply a good few of the panel which has to be a good thing for Laois hurling going forward.

SpeculativeEffort

Im delighted that Derek McGrath is involved. While most view the one game v Offaly as how to judge 2020, I personally dont.

From talking to players and parents McGrath did everything he could for this group. I know they developed as hurlers and people during the year. They definitely learned a lot and McGrath too.

If taking a setback on the chin here means bouncing back and moving on stronger then that great. Everyone is getting wound up about one result. No county does it better.

We havent won a Leinster minor since the 60's. 2020 didnt change that but we do have a great chance to develop young hurlers with McGrath on board. Lets not get notions about ourselves and slate him.

Hes a quality operator.

Keyser Söze

Wasting your time lads!
It's clear how some people operate.
When you are wrong about something , you can change your mind, or you can change the facts to suit your original judgement!
I think it was Frank Lampard recently who spoke about "confirmation bias". Looking at everything with the intent of proving your pre existing stance or belief. The post below from me is a good example. We are all guilty of it regularly.
You can twist things to back up your pre existing viewpoint in most situations.
I don't believe last years management were poorly intentioned. There's every chance they could do a good job somewhere else at some other point. But I could pull bits and pieces from everywhere to compose an argument that says otherwise!

Very poor management.
Very poor.
Not good enough.

Zooming around

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on January 31, 2021, 10:20:40 AM
Im delighted that Derek McGrath is involved. While most view the one game v Offaly as how to judge 2020, I personally dont.

From talking to players and parents McGrath did everything he could for this group. I know they developed as hurlers and people during the year. They definitely learned a lot and McGrath too.

If taking a setback on the chin here means bouncing back and moving on stronger then that great. Everyone is getting wound up about one result. No county does it better.

We havent won a Leinster minor since the 60's. 2020 didnt change that but we do have a great chance to develop young hurlers with McGrath on board. Lets not get notions about ourselves and slate him.

Hes a quality operator.

The highlighted bit is correct but in how many years since the 60s have we had a real chance to win one. Most years we had no chance and a lot of years we had less than no chance. Last year we had a real chance as this team had shown themselves to be right up there with the best up along through U14, U15 and U16. We won't get to develop much if we continue to disimprove at the alarming rate we have since he got involved.

clonadmad

Even when Limerick was under the cosh from Rugby,they had a strong infrastructure of primary school competitions for kids of all ages even it seems a divisional competition and that's before you get to post primary level.

It's a pity Laois can't seem to do likewise,even with the Cumman na mBunscoil,we have just the one completion whereas a lot of counties would have 2 age grades.

https://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/william-o-donoghue-moulded-by-formative-years/

redsetanta

Is Collier a good appointment for Laois hurling?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi