Hurling championship 2021

Started by seafoid, April 27, 2021, 09:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2021, 10:05:52 AM
Obviously it will be near impossible to get tickets for the game, but what is the ticket allocation going to be?

Was there talk of it going to 40,000?

Cork could take that on their own FFS not to mention Limerick having a big support of big proportions as well.

I think a lot of these events are deemed trial events and the attendance is in agreement with the HSE based on Covid rates at whatever time so I can't see Croke Park confirming that number for another while yet.

johnnycool

Casey free to play in the AI final as the referee chose to take the word of one of the umpires and not the more senior linesman on duty that day....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40358369.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Never knew that was a thing but there you go, the rules of the game change all the time..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 13, 2021, 09:27:13 AM
Casey free to play in the AI final as the referee chose to take the word of one of the umpires and not the more senior linesman on duty that day....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40358369.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Never knew that was a thing but there you go, the rules of the game change all the time..

What's the point of asking his umpire then? Can of fecking worms
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2021, 11:27:14 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 13, 2021, 09:27:13 AM

What's the point of asking his umpire then? Can of fecking worms

Correct. Big Can of Worms.

imtommygunn

Umpires are supposed to have no say are they not?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 13, 2021, 12:29:14 PM
Umpires are supposed to have no say are they not?

They can't nor linesmen also have a live call on a 'free' they can call in and inform the referee on what they have seen, after it has happened. On that discussion be it linesman or umpire the referee has the sole decision to make a call once informed of the facts. But it has to be a straight answer, no maybes.

They'll be shouting at the ref's now when the umpire makes a call ffs!! stupid
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 13, 2021, 12:48:36 PM
Of course they have a say.

Yeah, they have a say but if it contradicts the linesman then their say is of less importance and the referee must do with the linesman.

imtommygunn

I was at that game and it was blatantly obvious that was a point...

In fact a point or  a wide but I think a point and in defense it was obvious to everyone.

I've seen that happen a few times. Difference there is sometimes umpires get in bad positions and easier seen from out the field.

(The reverse can maybe hold too mind you)

Milltown Row2

Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway

hoynevalley

Common sense prevailed. Very little on Casey incident.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 14, 2021, 08:55:37 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2021, 10:06:45 PM
Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway

I hoped you would understand that I wasn't contesting the decision but bringing a relevant previous incident into the discussion about the hierarchy of match officials. Alas, I gave you too much credit.

Indeed, I even agreed that a linesman's opinion should carry more weight than an umpire's. You seem to disagree with this or at least believe that it opens a can of worms. I'd be interested in hearing more about that.

The best person in the right position with best account is the one you listen to, there's no hierarchy, in fact the umpire is a trusted friend who'll have covered all your games, by the same token I've overruled decisions because I've felt someone else, like the linesman/fourth official is in a better position.

linesman position themselves to help the umpires.

There's a difference between an off the ball incident and a point being scored or not. People/players/managers and referees get it wrong sometimes. 

imtommygunn

I agree on that. It's no can of worms at all.

Milltown Row2

In all the courses we've carried out over the years there's never been a mention of using a linesman's decision over an umpires call. It's about the right information from the person best placed to having seen it.

In this case the linesman probably was, but more confusing is they are all wired up and speaking continuously throughout the game, if the ref is going to make a big call like that you'd like to think he ask for everyone's opinion?

Farrandeelin

How are tickets distributed for this game? Do the two counties get tickets between them?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 17, 2021, 10:41:36 AM
How are tickets distributed for this game? Do the two counties get tickets between them?

I believe all clubs (up here anyways) got one ticket, the rest divided up with sponsors and the two counties