Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2021, 11:52:43 AM
Aye, listen I did a Ulster league game in County Down last year, just before we lockdown, there wasn't a line on the pitch. this was a div 1 game!

Lazy "Nordies" need to up their pitch preparations rather than not introducing a rule because some clubs don't mark their pitches.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tyrdub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2021, 02:28:45 PM
So if he's dragged down and there is a player in a position that could also tackle him and prevent a goal will it be a penalty or not?

2 on 1 - 2 attackers and 1 defender, he pulls the first forward down and stops the play, is this a penalty? Is it a clear goal scoring chance?

dublin7

Quote from: Tyrdub on March 01, 2021, 01:17:08 PM
So if he's dragged down and there is a player in a position that could also tackle him and prevent a goal will it be a penalty or not?

2 on 1 - 2 attackers and 1 defender, he pulls the first forward down and stops the play, is this a penalty? Is it a clear goal scoring chance?

That's very vague and impossible to answer. Is it at the corner flag, 45m line or edge of the penalty area?

If its at the corner flag then probably no, but if its on the edge of the penalty area then yes

Milltown Row2

Quote from: dublin7 on March 01, 2021, 01:29:00 PM

That's very vague and impossible to answer. Is it at the corner flag, 45m line or edge of the penalty area?

If its at the corner flag then probably no, but if its on the edge of the penalty area then yes

I've seen many a goal opportunity when the attacker beats a man along the end line (mainly hurling) and is in on goal, should the defender bring him down at the end line by the corner flag or by the side line at the 21, will I give a penalty?

I'll probably not and call it as I see it, but there will be cries of "he was clean in on goal ya muppet"
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theticklemister

As Sid said earlier, cynical foul can happen without it being a black card offense.

So your man is past the last defender just last the 21m out and defender manages to pull him back.

Under rules now

- It's a free and a tick to player who done it.

Imagine this at a club game. The supports will be calling for the defender to be lynched but under the rules the referee could give just give a free in.

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2021, 01:58:36 PM

I've seen many a goal opportunity when the attacker beats a man along the end line (mainly hurling) and is in on goal, should the defender bring him down at the end line by the corner flag or by the side line at the 21, will I give a penalty?

I'll probably not and call it as I see it, but there will be cries of "he was clean in on goal ya muppet"

Depends on a few factors. The speed of the player, is there any defenders who can get back to tackle him before he reaches the goal. Distance to the goal etc. You can't just simply say in theory that is/isn't a penalty until you see it happen live 

lenny

I'd expect referees to get training which will cover what types of situations will be a penalty. It's a positive rule change, like all changes there wil be mistakes and talking points but it should cut some cynicism out.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lenny on March 01, 2021, 05:22:10 PM

I'd expect referees to get training which will cover what types of situations will be a penalty. It's a positive rule change, like all changes there wil be mistakes and talking points but it should cut some cynicism out.

Would have to be a zoom training session with smaller groups, but not impossible. Listen I'm just gurning now as I'll be getting it in my ear all summer
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

A player has the ball in front of the posts, and fists it into the square where a teammate arrives to finish to the net.

If the eventual goalscorer WASN'T in the square when the ball was played, but another teammate WAS in the square (lets say, at the other post), does the goal stand?

twohands!!!

Quote from: BennyCake on August 01, 2021, 10:34:47 PM
A player has the ball in front of the posts, and fists it into the square where a teammate arrives to finish to the net.

If the eventual goalscorer WASN'T in the square when the ball was played, but another teammate WAS in the square (lets say, at the other post), does the goal stand?

Quote4.9 For an attacking player to enter opponents' small rectangle:
(a) During Play (excluding Set Play), before the final play of the ball into the small rectangle.
(b) In Set Play, before the ball enters the small rectangle.
Exceptions:
(i) If an attacking player legally enters the small rectangle, and the ball is played from that area but is returned before the attacking player has time to leave the area, provided he does not play the ball or interfere with the defence, a foul is not committed.
(ii) When a point is scored from outside the small rectangle and the ball is sufficiently high to be out of reach of all players, the score shall be allowed even though an attacking player may have been otherwise illegally within the small rectangle before the ball - provided that the player in question does not interfere with the defence.

My reading of the rule is that the goal doesn't stand.
Like a lot of other rules in the rule-book the wording isn't the clearest.
Neither of the exceptions apply and the player [who didn't touch the ball] was in the small rectangle before the ball.
My understanding of exception (i) is that the ball has to leave the small rectangle and come back into it again.
As long as the player doesn't play the ball or interfere with the defence ["interfere" seems to be a very poor choice of words here - I'd say there's no way to be standing in the small rectangle and not be interfering to some extent.] the goal can stand. However in the example above there is no mention of the ball leaving the small rectangle.
I'd imagine in practice that a fair few goals have been given that should have been chalked because of this rule.

CK_Redhand

Ben McDonnell black card today. In my opinion it was clearly the most "cynical" of the three incidents that resulted in black cards. I don't remember exactly and can't find a clip but I don't think the player actually performed one of the actions listed which warrants a black card.  I think he lifted a Kerry player off the ground and held him for a few seconds, deliberately holding up play (during a break in play).
https://dunshaughlinandroyalgaels.com/rules-specifications/
(4) The Black Card:

The Black Card: 'Cynical behaviour' includes these infractions:

(i) 'to deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away'

(ii) 'to deliberately trip an opponent'

(iii) 'to deliberately pull down an opponent'

(iv) 'to threaten or use abusive language or gestures to an opponent or teammate'

(v) 'to remonstrate in an aggressive manner with a match official'

The penalty for the above fouls is:

Free Kick from where the foul occurred.
Player Ordered Off by showing him a Black Card, Player will now spend 10 minutes off the field.
No substitute allowed, reducing his side's numbers for that period.
Any thoughts?

Jayop

Thoughts are the black card has been and will continue to be a total farce of a rule. The same ref can somehow see the exact same incidents in the same game and give one a black and the other a yellow. If the sin bin is to continue (at least they changed to a sin bin which is much better than the old system) then it really needs sorted out. Remove the exact nature of what qualifies as a black card and just change it to something like, obvious cynical play attempting to stop a goal scoring chance. You can't be giving them for accidental trips or accidental collisions. The clothesline tackle now being a yellow is the safest way currently for a player to stop a man with the ball getting past him. It's nonsense that a rule designed to stop cynicism has encouraged dangerous play.

general_lee

Quote from: CK_Redhand on August 28, 2021, 10:43:05 PM
Ben McDonnell black card today. In my opinion it was clearly the most "cynical" of the three incidents that resulted in black cards. I don't remember exactly and can't find a clip but I don't think the player actually performed one of the actions listed which warrants a black card.  I think he lifted a Kerry player off the ground and held him for a few seconds, deliberately holding up play (during a break in play).
https://dunshaughlinandroyalgaels.com/rules-specifications/
(4) The Black Card:

The Black Card: 'Cynical behaviour' includes these infractions:

(i) 'to deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away'

(ii) 'to deliberately trip an opponent'

(iii) 'to deliberately pull down an opponent'

(iv) 'to threaten or use abusive language or gestures to an opponent or teammate'

(v) 'to remonstrate in an aggressive manner with a match official'

The penalty for the above fouls is:

Free Kick from where the foul occurred.
Player Ordered Off by showing him a Black Card, Player will now spend 10 minutes off the field.
No substitute allowed, reducing his side's numbers for that period.
Any thoughts?
It wasn't a break in play and it was a deliberate pull down

CK_Redhand

Yeah I rewatched it. It wasn't a break in play. I'm not too sure if I would call it a pull down.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on August 30, 2021, 09:20:27 PM
Yeah I rewatched it. It wasn't a break in play. I'm not too sure if I would call it a pull down.

Was he trying to play the ball?