Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamFever

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 07, 2021, 08:53:39 AM
No I didn't blame anyone
I said things were not taken to a higher level than what the previous manager did
That's what was expected
The players have to take responsibility too
That said I believe this group have 1 last kick in them if they really want it
I also believe the current management will be preparing already for next season
With this years extended season clubs don't have much time to plan for next season regarding new managers etc
Extended?

Truth hurts

Going by the previews it seems that Caryduff and Mayobridge have no chance this weekend.
Will there be any intermediate games on Down Tv this weekend?

Nanderson

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 07, 2021, 10:51:30 AM
Going by the previews it seems that Caryduff and Mayobridge have no chance this weekend.
Will there be any intermediate games on Down Tv this weekend?
no 4 senior games plus loughinisland bryansford relegation match

Johnnysboys

It actually makes me laugh when people talk about NMCA taking our club to a new level - he did no such thing. Won absolutely f**k all in his tenure and that's what success is based on. Not taking s**t from players is one thing - but players not being allowed to play for their own club teams because a blow in getting £££ (and a very hefty back room team) is dictating is completely wrong.
At same time I feel Mulholland made mistake this year letting players who trained only a month play championship. Setting those type standards is not what wins year in year out.
If we want to compete - we need to compete at top level at all underage teams, we need to freshen up the senior team every year with 2-4 players putting themselves forward for consideration. But these players need a chance to play. No point playing the same old every year especially when they have proven on the championship stage they can't cut it..

Lotto

Quote from: Johnnysboys on October 07, 2021, 06:12:06 PM
It actually makes me laugh when people talk about NMCA taking our club to a new level - he did no such thing. Won absolutely f**k all in his tenure and that's what success is based on. Not taking s**t from players is one thing - but players not being allowed to play for their own club teams because a blow in getting £££ (and a very hefty back room team) is dictating is completely wrong.
At same time I feel Mulholland made mistake this year letting players who trained only a month play championship. Setting those type standards is not what wins year in year out.
If we want to compete - we need to compete at top level at all underage teams, we need to freshen up the senior team every year with 2-4 players putting themselves forward for consideration. But these players need a chance to play. No point playing the same old every year especially when they have proven on the championship stage they can't cut it..

That's a bit harsh Johnny, what do you mean? I'm not talking about the money as he was supposedly looking £1000 a week from Clonduff for his management team. As for playing players only back, they were recognised seniors and had helped get the Point close to the top in Down, whey would he not play them?

Bringing underage players through is the lifeblood to any senior team but if the Point are playing lower level stuff then the chances of having 2/3 younger players into the senior set up every year is slim. That's not going to help them in the long term and if they don't win a championship very soon then it's never gonna in the next 10 - 15 years.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Johnnysboys on October 07, 2021, 06:12:06 PM
we need to compete at top level at all underage teams,

Totally correct.

Even if you get a single brilliant team coming through the underage - that'll be very unlikely to carry a club to senior glory unless the support cast are of the standard.

Unless by fluke, no club comes to the top of the pile overnight.

So instead of throwing money at a new senior boss - committees around the county might well do better by throwing a bit more money at their underage teams instead. Be that even just footballs, or coaching courses for the coaches, or a bit more expensive - better (floodlit) training pitches.

There are no trees or mountaintops on a football pitch. Players can run just as well with a ball as without - so running through forests or Kilbroney is either a coach doing it wrong or a coach that doesn't have a pitch to train on.
i usse an speelchekor

Johnnysboys

That's a bit harsh Johnny, what do you mean? I'm not talking about the money as he was supposedly looking £1000 a week from Clonduff for his management team. As for playing players only back, they were recognised seniors and had helped get the Point close to the top in Down, whey would he not play them?

Bringing underage players through is the lifeblood to any senior team but if the Point are playing lower level stuff then the chances of having 2/3 younger players into the senior set up every year is slim. That's not going to help them in the long term and if they don't win a championship very soon then it's never gonna in the next 10 - 15 years.
[/quote]

Players that were training around their working life were told to make greater sacrifices or leave - sometimes people shud remember it's an amateur game with people that have to work to pay the bills. Young Gallagher had serious potential as a minor - tough as nails corner back who took no shit.. Told to go. Aaron Magee - told to go.
As for players getting us near the top what a message to send to our younger players - Magee n Davidson can train for a month n play. Thanks for training your ass off since April but the two lads are back now so use can p**s off... Its wrong on so many levels. But typical of paid management looking for a quick fix..

elk

Sounds like someone you know had to make way for players the management believed offered more to the clubs needs

Truth hurts

I can laugh at the Point ones on this, You are like spoilt children complaining. Both SM and NMcA have taken CPN/Warrenpoint to the closest that they have ever been in my lifetime. Even to be dining at the top table is a credit to you all. There are a lot of clubs in East Down who would be glad of being in your position.

Mourne Red

Finn finally going to get their hands on the JFC unless Drumaness pluck some form from a magic hat.. At both JFC games so far and poor enough, Dundrum must have injuries or disagreements in house 6 players who should be starting on bench.

SHEEDY

Kilcoo always seem to do enough to get the job done, fair play to Carryduff who looked beat in the first half but fought back well. Kilcoo's better bench and experience seen them through in the end.
nil satis nisi optimum

Lotto

Patsy and Dessie are back  ;D, 'great to have you back Dessie, delighted to be here Patsy.'

befair

Clonduff impressive today; Darren O'Hagan really is outstanding, ran the game.

Leftmidfield

Some difference between the performances of Darren and his Down vice captain today

upandwin

What a result for Saul today...outstanding achievement to see them win their first senior game in a long long time. What in the name of god has happened Rostrevor though? What an absolute shambles of a year for them...only a matter of time before they're relegated as well. Pete McGrath surely won't stick around next year? Well done Saul...great to see it