Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: Ed Hardy on October 02, 2021, 04:05:34 PM
October and still haven't announced a new county management  set up. I thought they would have had someone in place before the championship got serious. Wonder what the hold up as been.
They prob cant get the 1st 2nd or 3rd choice or else it's a management team still involved in championship.

urbangael

Word on the street is that our Full back from 91 is the new manager 👀👀

supersub

Quote from: Ed Hardy on October 02, 2021, 04:05:34 PM
October and still haven't announced a new county management  set up. I thought they would have had someone in place before the championship got serious. Wonder what the hold up as been.

Why is that? What's the correlation between county management and serious championship?

elk

Cpn by 2, everyone has dismissed them there has to be a kick in them

Lotto

Quote from: urbangael on October 02, 2021, 07:08:40 PM
Word on the street is that our Full back from 91 is the new manager 👀👀

I've been hearing this for weeks now and for the future of Down football I sincerely hope this is completely untrue. We have had some bad managerial choices over the years, none more so than our last man but if this man was to be appointed it would be the biggest retrograde step in the history of Down football.

urbangael

I'd have to agree with you. It's not the most impressive CV to be honest. Currently managing in Div 4 in Down.

terrifictommy

Duine- Very true and funny.
At some point we'll all have to realise we're at a certain level and it may be some time before we dine at the top table. But whoever takes over needs positive encouragement and not the same negative rhetoric.

6th sam

Quote from: terrifictommy on October 03, 2021, 08:39:30 PM
Duine- Very true and funny.
At some point we'll all have to realise we're at a certain level and it may be some time before we dine at the top table. But whoever takes over needs positive encouragement and not the same negative rhetoric.

Totally agree.

Caitlin

Clonduff looked good tonight- but I think CPN have had a poor championship. Mulholland was a fine footballer but is very limited as a manager and not clear what added value Polie is bringing.
The Carrs, McConvilles, Brannigans and O'Hagans are super footballers and when you add in young talent like Brown and Close they are likely to be there or there abouts. Thanks to the excellent coverage from Down GAA TV ( the action replays and post match interviews have really improved things but the streaming from anywhere beyond Newry and Newcastle is problematic) we are all able to get a perspective on the main contenders behind Kilcoo; from what I've seen the order is Burren,Clonduff, Mayobridge, RGU,Carryduff, Ballyholland, Glenn, Castlewellan of the surviving teams.
Let's hope the Down management team pay for their bundles over the next three weekends.

elk

Hard to believe how poor CPN have been under their new management compared to under mc aleenan. Same squad but playing crap.

urbangael

Enjoyable game this evening. Clonduff got their rewards for playing the more attacking football. No doubt injuries to key players have really had a huge impact on the blues. Nobody will want to draw Clonduff in the quarters. Faloon doesn't get every call right (what ref does in fairness) but he lets the game go rather than blowing every minor incident which really makes for a more free flowing enjoyable game. Probably the best ref in Down.

Johnnysboys

Well that was brutal. Mulholland was and has been out of his depth all season. He won a half league title but the standard of play has been brutal. I'm afraid that could be the point on the way down the slope again. Playing Players who have literally only came back into the fold a month ago is totally wrong IMO and was our problem for years. McAleenan won f**k all with us - but the bluffers knew where they stood.
Our golden team, golden generation, best team in decades and we end up with a half league trophy. I'll take it but it means little.. how people rate us as second best team in the county is laughable.

befair

These reports are a bit unkind; mid 2nd half, CPN had just reduced the deficit to 2 pts with 2 brilliant pts from ~45 metres, and it was anyone's game. Then a mix-up in the CPN square gave away a goal, and their heads dropped after that

guevara

The Point have gone backward massively in the last 18 months. From a Team that had pace all over the field and carried an attacking threat, to a one paced defensive Team who spend half the game fist passing the ball across the opposition 40.

Mullholland looked clueless for the majority of that game and the Longstone game. Roaring "pressurise the ball" with 10 minutes to go, while still playing a sweeper is a huge contradiction.

No bravery or willingless to attack the game when it was there for the taking.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

terrifictommy

Faloon is no doubt the best at the minute. Too many games are ruined by not having a flow.
As for CPN, in danger of following the path of Castlewellan a few years ago. Never got over the line when it mattered