Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Wildweasel74

I thought the Kerry team last year was stronger: but for the first goal it was one on one without another derry player within 30m; it didnt make sense the way we set up, big brown played well and to a lesser extent mcwilliams at midfield

greenlight

Should senior players who excluded themselves from the panel this year as a result of not liking the manager be allowed back next year?

lenny

Quote from: greenlight on September 17, 2017, 09:20:01 PM
Should senior players who excluded themselves from the panel this year as a result of not liking the manager be allowed back next year?

yes

Mountain Gael

Quote from: Mountain Gael on September 16, 2017, 08:10:25 PM
Would be concerned about tomorrow if team that is selected starts
Just back from dublin and as i stated beforehand i feared the worse with team selected and especially the way the team was set up for the game.It was just mad to leave our defence wide open for the full game.terrible way to finish the season.
As for the senior game i feel for mayo. They were outstanding and matched dublin in every department and should have seen the game out. they have had no luck over the last few years but still a great team. Hard to believe we had them beat in castlebar so its not all doom and gloom.just hope we have all our players available for the start of the league campaign as it has cost us in the past.Feel we can get out of division 3 if we can continue from were we left of at against mayo and avoid tyrone in the championship would be a help.

JoG2

alot of the same boys excluded themselves from their hurling team (as they got humiliated) in the county final on Saturday to play a feckin 7's tournament !

Minors blown away by an incredible Kerry team. Their movement was top drawer and our boys were chasing shadows alot of the time. Clifford should have been double teamed from the start. Kerry double-teamed Brown when he he moved to the edge of the square even though they were a mile ahead...anyways, great achievement by the young bucks, they can hold their heads high, 2nd best team in the land!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Absolutely not.

You play for the shirt and county no matter what the situation.

Too many prima donnas in this county

Keyser soze

First of all it's a shame that the biggest thread on the Gaaboard has to be locked because of a few slabbers.

Secondly how good is David Clifford and that Kerry team.

Thirdly how naive was Derry's setup, played right into their hands, as someone else pointed out even Clifford couldn't believe how open we were. Shocking that we set a record for the largest losing margin in Minor final.

I would say if the Derry senior management post was being decided on today there might be a different outcome than there was 2 weeks ago.

tbrick18

I great day in croker, despite the results of both games.
Minors were on a hiding to nothing with the way we set up, to have not sweeper with that forward unit is just incomprehensible.
Brown, why didn't he start? He looked like the only player we had who could win his own ball and cause problems.
Disappointing and demoralising for those young lads.  Kerry are class, but we just made it that much more difficult for ourselves with our tactical mistakes. I hope its not a sign of things to come for the seniors.

Mayo will be gutted. I thought they were the better team, and the referee shafted them.
Yes they missed some easy frees in the first half, but Dublin got away with murder off the ball. O'Gara was there to bully Aidan O'Shea, and the number of times he ran with a beeline for him to hit him a knock was ridiculous. McQuillan was obviously trying to let the game flow, but time and again he didn't give Mayo the free at one end, then gave it to Dublin at the other. He gave them a 14 yard free instead of a penalty and in general I think he was directly responsible for 4-5 scores in Dublin's benefit.
To give Dublin credit where it's due, the subs again were what lifted them in the 2nd half. After Mayo dominated everywhere but the score board in the 1st half, Dublin came storming back with subs again.
Devastating for Mayo.
As good as the players are in Dublin, I feel that team is quickly losing and respect they have throughout the country due to the undoubted bias shown towards them in terms of finance, home advantage and a seemingly unfair advantage provided by referees (at least IMO).  It doesn't take away from the fact that they are great to watch.

Estimator

Kerry were outstanding on the day, everything seemed to work for them.  Despite the scoreline they still left 2 or 3 goal opportunities behind them.  If the game was played another 10 times, I wouldn't be surprised if Kerry won all 10.
With 11mins played Derry had the momentum after score 3points on the bounce to leave a single point between the sides.
10mins later and there is 11 points between the sides.  Clifford's second goal where he had 2/3 men hanging off him yet still managed to score a goal.  The third goal.. Clifford was being forced away from the goals by good defence, but still he managed to pick out the runner and it was game over.
Derry could have played more defensively, they could've had 5 sweepers, they could have double marked Clifford.  All it would have done was kept the scoreline down.  We still wouldn't have won it.  And the comments would be about Derry ruining the game and having a go at the tactics.
The thing that stood out for me was the speed of the Kerry players. There was a couple of things that stood out.  One of the Kerry players soloing up the pitch was moving away from the defender trying to chase him.  When it happened the other way around, the Derry players were easily caught.  On the 4th goal from the other Clifford, his run was being tracked even though he was going at a decent pace, but then he quicken for 5/10yrds to completely destroy his man.

Regardless of the result.  In the last 3 years Derry have won 2 Ulster minor titles and played in an All Ireland final.  Which for a county like Derry is a decent return. 
On the Coleraine lads, would you rather the chance of winning a prestigious All-Ireland Club title or an Intermediate county title?
On the exiles, anyone who wants to play for Derry should be given the opportunity to impress the new management.
Ulster League Champions 2009

tonysoprano

Quote from: Estimator on September 18, 2017, 10:53:11 AM
Kerry were outstanding on the day, everything seemed to work for them.  Despite the scoreline they still left 2 or 3 goal opportunities behind them.  If the game was played another 10 times, I wouldn't be surprised if Kerry won all 10.
With 11mins played Derry had the momentum after score 3points on the bounce to leave a single point between the sides.
10mins later and there is 11 points between the sides.  Clifford's second goal where he had 2/3 men hanging off him yet still managed to score a goal.  The third goal.. Clifford was being forced away from the goals by good defence, but still he managed to pick out the runner and it was game over.
Derry could have played more defensively, they could've had 5 sweepers, they could have double marked Clifford.  All it would have done was kept the scoreline down.  We still wouldn't have won it.  And the comments would be about Derry ruining the game and having a go at the tactics.
The thing that stood out for me was the speed of the Kerry players. There was a couple of things that stood out.  One of the Kerry players soloing up the pitch was moving away from the defender trying to chase him.  When it happened the other way around, the Derry players were easily caught.  On the 4th goal from the other Clifford, his run was being tracked even though he was going at a decent pace, but then he quicken for 5/10yrds to completely destroy his man.

Regardless of the result.  In the last 3 years Derry have won 2 Ulster minor titles and played in an All Ireland final.  Which for a county like Derry is a decent return. 
On the Coleraine lads, would you rather the chance of winning a prestigious All-Ireland Club title or an Intermediate county title?
On the exiles, anyone who wants to play for Derry should be given the opportunity to impress the new management.

It was actually junior. I don't blame the lads for playing in the sevens. Because they won Ulster junior two years ago they were unable to progress to Ulster junior this year. The final against na magha was pointless. Win or lose na magha would progress to Ulster. If it was an intermediate or senior championship match the boys most definitely would have played.

All the best to na magha lavey and slaughtneil in Ulster.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: tonysoprano on September 18, 2017, 06:47:11 PM

It was actually junior. I don't blame the lads for playing in the sevens. Because they won Ulster junior two years ago they were unable to progress to Ulster junior this year. The final against na magha was pointless. Win or lose na magha would progress to Ulster. If it was an intermediate or senior championship match the boys most definitely would have played.

If you were one of those young lads not in the  elite athletic group in Coleraine surely you would feel badly let down though.  At the end of the day The Kilmacuds is a 7s competition for clubs who have been knocked out of their own championships and want a piss up in Dublin.  Don't think they would have been there had screen not beat them.

The dates for championship were set months ago. If eoghan rua wanted to play intermediate they shouldn't have finished last in the league. 

tonysoprano

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 18, 2017, 06:55:57 PM

If you were one of those young lads not in the  elite athletic group in Coleraine surely you would feel badly let down though.  At the end of the day The Kilmacuds is a 7s competition for clubs who have been knocked out of their own championships and want a piss up in Dublin.  Don't think they would have been there had screen not beat them.

The dates for championship were set months ago. If eoghan rua wanted to play intermediate they shouldn't have finished last in the league.

I can't speak for all the lads who played but I know most of them would not have seen that as a championship final. It was seen more of a punishment for coming last in the league-  a system which unfortunately for eoghan rua does not favour a dual club with a very small selection of players to choose from and who struggle to field while football is still ongoing.

Eoghan rua are in an unfavourable position for the next few years in hurling. They have nothing to play for. Surely this system needs rethought?

restorepride

Congratulations to Slaughtneil on a fantastic 5 hurling titles in a row and to Eoghan Rua on winning the All Ireland football 7s, especially Sean Leo who got player of the tournament apparently. As for Derry minors, a number froze on the day which is understandable but for the management to freeze? That was bordering on the unforgiveable. Had they practised any Clifford (or Cliffords!) scenarios in training? 6 goals between them, could have been 10.  Really hope that all of the minors recover from the experience because that was tough going.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: tonysoprano on September 18, 2017, 07:08:20 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 18, 2017, 06:55:57 PM

I can't speak for all the lads who played but I know most of them would not have seen that as a championship final. It was seen more of a punishment for coming last in the league-  a system which unfortunately for eoghan rua does not favour a dual club with a very small selection of players to choose from and who struggle to field while football is still ongoing.

Eoghan rua are in an unfavourable position for the next few years in hurling. They have nothing to play for. Surely this system needs rethought?

60% of hurlers in Derry are dual. I dont understand the comment about eoghan rua having nothing to aim for. Surely they could win Derry and Ulster intermediate ?

Mountain Gael

Did you say good defence---we conceded 6-17,we had no cover in defence at all and with alot of our players in the attacking half we could only score 1-8.
Lets call it as it should be, we were terrible in our shape,selection,fitness levels etc etc etc and really it was embarrassing.
I believe the team was in town this evening and got a very warm reception which they deserved but the game was over before it really had started.If Clifford had have being handled better we had as good of players as the rest of the kerry lads.And leaving young Brown on the bench for most of the year,enough said