The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

I don't see Leeds getting dragged into it at all. A couple of draws would even do them.

Mourne Rover

Leeds have had two draws in 27 league games this season, the lowest total in all four divisions, and Bielsa does not play for a point under any circumstances. We would still probably take one against Chelsea and perhaps the law of averages will eventually come into play.

Mourne Rover

The law of averages did indeed come into play and it turned out to be an excellent point against a Chelsea side well in contention for the Champions League. We were hanging on for a while but we probably had the better chances overall and it could even have been a win in the end. The Bamford injury is a concern, as Rodrigo is more of a 10 than a 9, and may not be fully fit, while Roberts can lead the line but is also more of a midfielder and has not scored in the Premiership anyway. It shows that we need to strengthen the squad in the summer with a view to pushing on next season.

Mourne Rover

The last two decades have mostly been tough for Leeds supporters but yesterday, short of winning an actual trophy, was up there with our best days in recent history. To take on the best team in England, and possibly in Europe, on their own pitch with only ten men for most of the game and come away with a fully deserved win was quite an achievement. It was a brilliant performance and Dallas, who has previously featured in this thread, was outstanding from start to finish. What was striking was the way in which Bielsa refused to accept a draw in the closing stages and insisted on throwing players forward. He got his reward in the end and, assuming he stays in post and the club continues to get its recruitment policy right, there is nothing to prevent Leeds making further progress next season.

seafoid

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 11, 2021, 12:47:12 PM
The last two decades have mostly been tough for Leeds supporters but yesterday, short of winning an actual trophy, was up there with our best days in recent history. To take on the best team in England, and possibly in Europe, on their own pitch with only ten men for most of the game and come away with a fully deserved win was quite an achievement. It was a brilliant performance and Dallas, who has previously featured in this thread, was outstanding from start to finish. What was striking was the way in which Bielsa refused to accept a draw in the closing stages and insisted on throwing players forward. He got his reward in the end and, assuming he stays in post and the club continues to get its recruitment policy right, there is nothing to prevent Leeds making further progress next season.
A really impressive result at this stage of the season,
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rufus T Firefly

Saturday was one of those great days that seemed to make the long, long journey back and all of the associated pain that wee bit more worthwhile. I would have struggled to believe that I might enjoy a Leeds match this season more than Leicester away, but Saturday did it in spades.

Unbelievable performance with ten men. Backs to the wall stuff but a richly deserved victory against the odds. I'd be interested in hearing opinions on Cooper's red card. He clearly played the ball first but the contact with the knee looked very dangerous. Unlucky to go? I'm not sure. City can thank their lucky stars they did not end up with ten as well - Sterling and Fernandinho both sailed close to the wind.

Sensational defensive effort by the whole team. Dallas has to be in the running - again - for player of the year. Never stopped running and scored twice. I thought Phillips was excellent as was Llorente in the centre of the defence. He really is coming on. Good performances too from Costa, Alioski, Striujk  and Meslier and Paddy had another assist before he had to go off.

Cooper has been a great leader on the pitch, but I can't help but think that his days as an automatic starter must be numbered. Koch is returning to full fitness - I would love to see him get a run out with Llorente - and Striujk continues to impress.

Three top flight wins in a row for the first time in 18 years.

Just great!!   :) 

Billys Boots

Great day - really enjoyed it.

QuoteI'd be interested in hearing opinions on Cooper's red card.

Very harsh, I thought.  The ball was there to be won - clearly the follow-through was dangerous, and I'm assuming the refs have been instructed that (in these circumstances) the decision is for a red.  But it is clearly wrong, in this circumstance.  There was no intention to hurt, or even make contact.  I don't think it would have been possible for Cooper (or anyone) to foresee that an injury would be caused, or even that he would make contact of any sort there.  So, what the officials are really saying is that if there is any risk of a defender causing injury to an attacker, they shouldn't go for the ball.  And that is ridiculous.  Over and out. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rufus T Firefly

I share your frustration Billy, but once the angle was given that showed the contact with the side of the knee, I think he was done for. I agree totally about intent. It simply wasn't there to hurt the player.

The bugbear for me is the inconsistency. Baldock put in a very dangerous two footed lunge that took Roberts out of it last week and which was shown repeatedly on TV screens after, due to an injury delay, and nothing happened in terms of a card.

As regards the display, stop for a moment and consider the individual performances of so many players who up until recently would have been considered established Championship players - Alioski, Dallas, Ayling, Costa, Roberts - all brilliant against top class opposition. Surely it underlines - again - Bielsa's genius.

seafoid

19 points off the relegation places. Can it be enough or is the beal bocht in remission ?

Mourne Rover

We are not mathematically safe just yet, as West Brom, if they win all seven of their remaining games, and we get no more points, could overtake us on goal difference. However, if we shake off our natural sense of doom as we sit in tenth place, there is even a prospect that by getting up to seventh, depending on some imponderables, a return to Europe is not out of the question.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2021, 03:54:39 PM
19 points off the relegation places. Can it be enough or is the beal bocht in remission ?

Even I, the king of the 'glass half empty brigade', have the feet up and am searching for a cigar!! 

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 13, 2021, 09:22:51 AM

Even I, the king of the 'glass half empty brigade', have the feet up and am searching for a cigar!!
Absolutely. It's been a great season and we've consolidated our position in the Premier League. The City result was massive. However there's no room for relaxation Rufus there's bound to be work for you round Abbey Park. How's the new building coming along?
Careful now

seafoid

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 13, 2021, 09:22:51 AM

It's great to see. Bielsa was the man for the job. Most promoted teams get relegated afterwards but this team seems to be different.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on April 13, 2021, 09:48:09 AM
It's great to see. Bielsa was the man for the job. Most promoted teams get relegated afterwards but this team seems to be different.

It's brilliant. Bielsa is a genius. See parallels with Wenger at Arsenal.

16 years in the wilderness brings home the value of the top league, so there would be no taking anything for granted. Vital of course to stay up this year, but next season I'm hoping we start from a stronger base again, with the addition of 3 / 4 new players to add to the squad and with a bit of luck become established. I've said a lot recently that I see Leicester as the team we should be aiming to emulate - consistently top 6 / 7. 

seafoid

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 13, 2021, 10:26:46 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 13, 2021, 09:48:09 AM

It's brilliant. Bielsa is a genius. See parallels with Wenger at Arsenal.

16 years in the wilderness brings home the value of the top league, so there would be no taking anything for granted. Vital of course to stay up this year, but next season I'm hoping we start from a stronger base again, with the addition of 3 / 4 new players to add to the squad and with a bit of luck become established. I've said a lot recently that I see Leicester as the team we should be aiming to emulate - consistently top 6 / 7.
2 years on from that loss to Derby. Frank Lampard won but where is he now ? 
It's very hard to break out of the Championship orbit . And the system is so unequal. All the money is in the EPL.
The TV money alone and what it means.