Ulster JFC/IFC 2022

Started by DownFanatic, October 03, 2022, 11:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Ulster JFC

Preliminary Round - 30/10/22

Drumlane/Arva (Cavan) v Ballerin/Craigbane (Derry)

Quarter Finals - 6/11/22

Lissummon/Derrynoose (Armagh) v Letterkenny Gaels/Carndonagh (Donegal)
Dromara/Teconnaught (Down) v Aghaloo/Strabane/Stewartstown/Derrytresk (Tyrone)
Aghadrumsee/Newtownbutler (Fermanagh) v O'Donnell's/Pearses (Antrim)
(Cavan/Derry) v Killanny/Clones (Monaghan)

Ulster IFC

Preliminary Round (6/11/22)

St Paul's/Shane O'Neill's (Armagh) v Toome/Corduff/Magheracloone/Emyvale (Monaghan)

Quarter Finals (13/11/22)

Glenravel/Dunloy (Antrim) v Dungloe (Donegal)
Castledawson/Glenullin/Foreglen/Drumsurn (Derry) v Galbally/Edendork/Eglish/Killeeshil (Tyrone)
Belcoo/Derrylin/Devenish/Tempo (Fermanagh) v Castlerahan/Ballyhaise (Cavan)
(Armagh/Monaghan) v Rostrevor/Saval (Down)

oakleaflad

Question for Cavan people.

Intermediate teams left finished 3rd, 6th and 13th in Division 1.

Junior teams left finished 1st and 3rd and Division 2.

No Division 3 representation left.

Assuming league and Championship are separate but my question is has something been done structurally to allow Cavan teams to compete better in Ulster/All Ireland, as the clubs left all seems strong enough to play in the Championship above?

clarshack

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 03, 2022, 12:15:35 PM

Assuming league and Championship are separate but my question is has something been done structurally to allow Cavan teams to compete better in Ulster/All Ireland, as the clubs left all seems strong enough to play in the Championship above?

Craigbane would be strong as well for Junior? The Intermediate game between the Derry and Tyrone champions would be one to look forward too.

Armagh18

A bit of cute huerism going on there it seems.

Armagh teams other than Cross usually do nothing in Ulster and I can't see this year being any different.

Cavan19

Nothing was done there is no link between league and Championship. 

Arva will probably win the Junior and got promoted to Division 1 this year. They had a bad couple of years with injuries and lads away and dropped down to junior and Division 3 but are back near full strength.

In the Intermediate Ballyhaise will play Castlerahan. Ballyhaise finished 3rd in Division 1 but had the luxury of having no county players which helped there cause. Castlerahan were relegated to intermediate last year and will be looking to go back up again.

The results/performances of Cavan teams in the Ulster club championships is not good have never won a Senior Ulster Club.

DownFanatic

When you stand back and assess it, Intermediate and Junior provincial and All Ireland competitions aren't really fit for purpose. There are too many variations in each county in terms of how their structure and gradings operate. Senior is more authentic as it is the best teams in each county playing in each SFC and the cream of the crop emerges from that to play in their province and beyond.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: DownFanatic on October 03, 2022, 01:38:42 PM
When you stand back and assess it, Intermediate and Junior provincial and All Ireland competitions aren't really fit for purpose. There are too many variations in each county in terms of how their structure and gradings operate. Senior is more authentic as it is the best teams in each county playing in each SFC and the cream of the crop emerges from that to play in their province and beyond.

Yeah for example, a team in some counties. based on their structure, could have been in the group stages of a senior championship won one game and lost narrowly to the others and be in a relegation playoff, then have to drop to intermediate next year if they lose that... While still maintaining senior league status!

Its a hard one to work out fairly, it would need to be fully implemented across the board that Div 1 teams can only play senior, Div 2 plays Intermediate and div 3 plays Junior. Then div 4 teams plays Junior B, junior B played before the Junior A with the Junior B winners moving up to Junior A
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oakleaflad

Quote from: clarshack on October 03, 2022, 01:07:06 PM

Craigbane would be strong as well for Junior? The Intermediate game between the Derry and Tyrone champions would be one to look forward too.
They've been in Junior Championship and Div 3 for 3 years now I think it is, but seem to be going well again so far this season.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Cavan19 on October 03, 2022, 01:25:22 PM

Arva will probably win the Junior and got promoted to Division 1 this year. They had a bad couple of years with injuries and lads away and dropped down to junior and Division 3 but are back near full strength.

In the Intermediate Ballyhaise will play Castlerahan. Ballyhaise finished 3rd in Division 1 but had the luxury of having no county players which helped there cause. Castlerahan were relegated to intermediate last year and will be looking to go back up again.

The results/performances of Cavan teams in the Ulster club championships is not good have never won a Senior Ulster Club.
Thanks. My question was a genuine one and not a jibe or anything. I know Denn from Cavan won the Ulster Junior last season. The teams just seemed to be highly ranked by league. Could have been a Junior B or something I wasn't aware of.

clarshack

I'd agree with this, very few teams can compete with the way Kerry structures it's Junior championship. There's something not right when the 2 Cliffords are playing in Junior.

oakleaflad

Steelstown did win the All Ireland Intermediate last year as the 17th ranked club in Derry. Playing in provincial and All Ireland series' gives those players a great experience as well. I do get what you're saying though. Kerry being the obvious example but everyone has been over that one before.

Eire90

Do the senior 2 champions in Dublin enter the leinster intermediate championship or none at all if that is the case would it not be better to have a 32 team straight knockout between  teams that are in senior 1 and 2 for senior title.

general_lee

Would there be a competition in Cavan for actual junior clubs, the ones plodding about in Division 3?

Rossfan

How about continuing to leave each County doing what suits their particular circumstances best.
The 6 or 7% of Clubs who win County Titles can then play their Provincial games, (half of them will only have 1 game), and let the 0.5% play out the AI series.
It's a nice bonus for the County Title winners but for Junior and Inter the real  prize was promotion and the bigger aim is to stay in their new grade.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cavan19

Quote from: general_lee on October 04, 2022, 09:01:15 AM

Would there be a competition in Cavan for actual junior clubs, the ones plodding about in Division 3?

There is a Junior Championship and its pretty weak apart from 3 teams Arva(Division 1 promoted this year and favorites to win it) Drumlane and Knockbride who are steady Division 2 teams. If Arva win i would expect them to give Ulster a good rattle if they don't go on the drink for a few weeks.