26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

Farrandeelin

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 09, 2020, 07:37:44 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 21, 2020, 10:24:35 AM
I wonder where those opinion polls were carried out.
Doubtful if Shinners would get 5% here or in most Western or Midland constituencies.

Congratulations on your new SF TD topping the poll. And your brilliant predictive powers.

I was waiting for that post to be quoted.  ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

manfromdelmonte

SF candidates getting elected to the Dail when they couldn't get elected to the local councils!
It's ridiculous

Maybe the RIC thing really got people riled up?
Who knew!

playwiththewind1st

You think you have problems? Give it a few years & the DUP will be the biggest party in the ROI. Then you'll have something to complain about!

mrdeeds

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 09, 2020, 09:00:37 PM
SF candidates getting elected to the Dail when they couldn't get elected to the local councils!
It's ridiculous

Maybe the RIC thing really got people riled up?
Who knew!

Sure we had a Mayor up here, who lost his seat in local government elections. What happens...the Shinners promoted him & put him into Stormont as an MLA. Jesus wept.

mrdeeds

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 09, 2020, 08:56:43 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 09, 2020, 07:37:44 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 21, 2020, 10:24:35 AM
I wonder where those opinion polls were carried out.
Doubtful if Shinners would get 5% here or in most Western or Midland constituencies.

Congratulations on your new SF TD topping the poll. And your brilliant predictive powers.

I was waiting for that post to be quoted.  ;D
Spoiled by getting his fact wrong though ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 09, 2020, 09:16:30 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on February 09, 2020, 09:05:55 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on February 09, 2020, 09:03:46 PM
To hell with the planet.
Green Party policy?

Quote of the election from Kerry's finest.

You get what you vote for.. and whatever your thoughts they're hugely popular

screenexile

I still don't get the Healy Rae thing!

Fair play to Sinn Fein but I really do think this is a protest vote and won't last too long.

They should make hay while the sun shines though the next few weeks will be interesting FG &FF won't want another election quickly as Sinn Fein will nail them with more candidates standing. Interesting tones ahead in the short to medium term!

macdanger2

SF 24.5%
FF 22.2%
FG 20.9%
Green 7.1%

Unbelievable results

yellowcard

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 09, 2020, 07:36:44 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 09, 2020, 07:15:31 PM
It's time for change and the people have spoken. FG and FF have proven themselves to be very out of touch with ordinary working people and more particularly with the younger generation. Compatability wise the obvious coalition would be FF/FG but I think it will be very difficult for both FG and FF to ignore the SF mandate and Micheal Martin already appears to be laying the ground for a massive U turn. I think it will be very difficult to form a government since SF will now expect to be equal partners. Interesting times ahead.

I'd say SF don't want to go into govtl since it'd inevitably involve compromise and losing votes. On the other hand, they don't want to be seen to not want to go into govt.

FF & FG on the other hand sure as hell don't want another election

I think SF would gladly walk into government in the morning due to a number of reasons, the main one being in a position of power to begin plans for a border poll. This is their whole raisin d'etre. It will come with a caveat though and that it is an equal partnership and that they are not junior partners. They might have less seats but they have the highest percentage share of the vote nationwide. It's unlikely they will get an opportunity like this for some time and given the fact that there are ongoing negotiations in relation to a Brexit trade agreement it is an opportunity too good to pass up. The problem is that neither of FF nor FG want them.

macdanger2

Quote from: yellowcard on February 09, 2020, 11:04:36 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 09, 2020, 07:36:44 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 09, 2020, 07:15:31 PM
It's time for change and the people have spoken. FG and FF have proven themselves to be very out of touch with ordinary working people and more particularly with the younger generation. Compatability wise the obvious coalition would be FF/FG but I think it will be very difficult for both FG and FF to ignore the SF mandate and Micheal Martin already appears to be laying the ground for a massive U turn. I think it will be very difficult to form a government since SF will now expect to be equal partners. Interesting times ahead.

I'd say SF don't want to go into govtl since it'd inevitably involve compromise and losing votes. On the other hand, they don't want to be seen to not want to go into govt.

FF & FG on the other hand sure as hell don't want another election

I think SF would gladly walk into government in the morning due to a number of reasons, the main one being in a position of power to begin plans for a border poll. This is their whole raisin d'etre. It will come with a caveat though and that it is an equal partnership and that they are not junior partners. They might have less seats but they have the highest percentage share of the vote nationwide. It's unlikely they will get an opportunity like this for some time and given the fact that there are ongoing negotiations in relation to a Brexit trade agreement it is an opportunity too good to pass up. The problem is that neither of FF nor FG want them.

SF in govt would put an interesting twist on brexit negotiations alright

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: screenexile on February 09, 2020, 10:32:15 PM
I still don't get the Healy Rae thing!

Fair play to Sinn Fein but I really do think this is a protest vote and won't last too long.

They should make hay while the sun shines though the next few weeks will be interesting FG &FF won't want another election quickly as Sinn Fein will nail them with more candidates standing. Interesting tones ahead in the short to medium term!
You don't get the Healy Rea thing?? Its a kiddies picnic in comparison with the Michael Lowry thing.
Careful now

Sportacus

in the North pretty much every major decision which would have required a bit of balls was kicked to touch by SF or DUP, or both.  Tin pot operation anyway with the only taxes raised being rates and carrier bag levy and you can always blame British austerity if you're getting it tight.  Going into sovereign government in the Republic will be a much bigger test for SF.