Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: Itchy on November 01, 2019, 09:22:39 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on November 01, 2019, 12:09:25 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on October 31, 2019, 09:39:37 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 31, 2019, 09:13:18 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 31, 2019, 06:51:02 PM
He wasn't  sacked initially, he, was given the offer of reduced wages while out injured , declined, so they sacked him. Why would Derby pay his full wages for over a year in a injury which happened when he was drunk? At least Lawrence can contribute on the field and is an asset. As is the other fella.

Injury wasnt caused by him being drunk. This is a clear black and white case of unfair dismissal but its probably cheaper to pay for the inevitable losses in court rather than pay his wages.

I presume he can sue the driver(s) for the lost wages?

Any claimant has a duty to mitigate their loss and the loss would have to be a direct result of the injury. So in this case he may find it difficult. I imagine Derby are claiming the reason he was dismissed was his actions, staying late, getting into a car with someone who had been drinking etc rather than the injury so it may be difficult for Keogh to prove that certainly he will likely have to fight his dismissal first. On top of that assuming what I've read is true and he knew the driver was drinking then he will be at least 20% contributorily liable.

David, you are missing a major point in that argument. There were 3 people involved here. 2 of them committed more serious offences - 1)Driving the cars while pissed 2)Racing each other on the road when pissed 3)Crashing the cars 4) Leaving the scene of an accident they caused and leaving a team mate for dead in the back of the car.

The other guy was asleep in the back of the car and a apart from being drunk and staying out later than he should off, did little wrong in comparison to the other 2.

The guy in the back of the car gets sacked, the other two don't. Its a stonewall certainty he will win an unfair dismissal case.

No I get that and it's something the Tribunal will factor in but the argument against that will be, what happened the others is immaterial if they should have been dismissed as well. Simply because they got the benefit of a wrong decision doesn't mean Keogh should too. The courts tend to say. If there is any honour amongst thieves they should revel in the good fortunes of their brethren, or words to that effect. I think for the tribunal the issue of the other two will be much less significant than the offer of reduced wages.

That said Keogh may try and make an age discrimination case based on the difference in treatment but again that might be easily refuted on the basis that age was immaterial as they other two didn't get potentially career ending injuries. 
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

An Watcher

fearbrags

I assume the other two are on a much lower salaries  and of course they are not injured and are much younger than Richard

Itchy

mrdeeds

Any need for all the IRA songs from the Dundalk fans?

MayoBuck

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 11, 2019, 11:13:39 PM

Very stupid when people are trying to explore an all island league.

screenexile

Quote from: MayoBuck on November 11, 2019, 11:25:11 PM

Very stupid when people are trying to explore an all island league.

What's the point as things stand the Free State would clean up!!

clarshack

clarshack

Quote from: clarshack on November 12, 2019, 09:02:36 AM

what songs were sung?

I've caught up with it on twitter. Linfield supposed to have sung their fair share of sectarian songs and there were plenty of para flags on show at the first game at windsor park.  If you are going to have a pop at Dundalk have a go at Linfield too.

Ambrose

How much for a ticket to watch this putrid sh*te on Monday night?  :o

Is it any wonder John Delaney was buying rounds for the fans.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Capt Pat

A 3-1 win tonight for the republic against New Zealand. The 2 debutants Parrott and O Connor did ok, both had an assist. They still look a bit raw and need first team football.

rodney trotter

The previous friendly v Bulgaria, Mccarthy wouldn't include Parrott in the Squad, as he wanted him playing first team football. He's played none since that, yet includes him. He should have been left with the U21s, aiming to qualify for a first ever  European u21 championship.

shark

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 15, 2019, 12:12:17 AM
The previous friendly v Bulgaria, Mccarthy wouldn't include Parrott in the Squad, as he wanted him playing first team football. He's played none since that, yet includes him. He should have been left with the U21s, aiming to qualify for a first ever  European u21 championship.

They won without him. And another youngster (Aidan Keena of Hearts in this case) got to play u21 who wouldn't have done so if Parrott had played. There is huge depth in that u21 squad.

rodney trotter

Yes, I know they won. They have a big game next week against better opposition in Sweden. Ireland beat thenlm 3-1,away with Parrott scoring twice,he'll be a loss