FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

It's really not looking good at the moment. People seem to forget that these nations league games are important not only for ranking points and seedings for qualifying but also as a back door for qualifying but we seem happy just messing around. It's great we have more possession under Kenny but we are as hopeless upfront as always and if anything are defense is even worse. The other big problem is the granny rule players are drying up and most of those that do qualify and haven't a hope of playing for England still have zero interest declaring for us(bamford, Redmond etc)

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on September 08, 2020, 08:52:58 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 08, 2020, 08:28:16 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 07, 2020, 04:48:35 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on September 07, 2020, 04:17:06 PM
I was pretty p*ssed about how the media hounded O'Neill at the end, every thing he done was scrutinised and especially them clowns on sports joe.ie hammered everything he done, a man who as a player won European cups, as a manager won trophies in Scotland and England but the media wanted a manger who failed with Dunfermline? I have no axe to grind with Stephen Kenny and genuinely hope he does well but the fawning over him was a head scratched and il be interested to see if he gets the same treatment as Mccarthy and O'Neill if things don't go well

To be fair O'Neill ran out of ideas. We were so poor at the end of his reign, hardly anyone was going to games in the Aviva. I have good time for O'Neill, but he had outstayed his welcome and it got a bit embarrassing at the end.

O'Neill was a fine manager in the late 90' early 2000's. Unfortunately for him the game has evolved since then and he didn't. The level of apathy towards the Irish football team and the style of football they've played in recent years is as bada as I can ever remember.

Kenny's teams have always tried to play football. Ireland are not a good side, but if he can make them watchable and reasonably competitive that's good enough for me. It won't happen overnight but at least he's going with younger players and looking to the future rather than the short term planning that has got Ireland in the mess their in. Picking the likes of Glenn Whelan would be a backward step at this stage
It's going to take time. The big risk is that the players don't buy into it. If it works out it will be a big step forward. Ireland have been in a holding pattern for far too long.

If they don't buy into it he will get rid of them. He does have an advantage in not having any undroppable players.

thewobbler

I was pretty p*ssed about how the media hounded O'Neill at the end, every thing he done was scrutinised and especially them clowns on sports joe.ie hammered everything he done, a man who as a player won European cups, as a manager won trophies in Scotland and England but the media wanted a manger who failed with Dunfermline? I have no axe to grind with Stephen Kenny and genuinely hope he does well but the fawning over him was a head scratched and il be interested to see if he gets the same treatment as Mccarthy and O'Neill if things don't go well

To be fair O'Neill ran out of ideas. We were so poor at the end of his reign, hardly anyone was going to games in the Aviva. I have good time for O'Neill, but he had outstayed his welcome and it got a bit embarrassing at the end.

O'Neill was a fine manager in the late 90' early 2000's. Unfortunately for him the game has evolved since then and he didn't. The level of apathy towards the Irish football team and the style of football they've played in recent years is as bada as I can ever remember.

Kenny's teams have always tried to play football. Ireland are not a good side, but if he can make them watchable and reasonably competitive that's good enough for me. It won't happen overnight but at least he's going with younger players and looking to the future rather than the short term planning that has got Ireland in the mess their in. Picking the likes of Glenn Whelan would be a backward step at this stage

I always chuckle when a "the game has evolved since then" comment is thrown in about football.

Any professional manager who builds his tactics around trends in the game, rather than personnel available, won't make six months in a post.

Truth is, territorial football doesn't work as well unless you have at least one strong ball-winning centre forward, and defenders with a semi-accurate long ball. Without those tools you're basically playing for 0-0.

Before too long another Niall Quinn-Steve Staunton-Denis Irwin combo will appear somewhere in Europe, and that team will play effective direct football. And the circle of evolution will be complete.

dublin7

Quote from: thewobbler on September 08, 2020, 01:36:04 PM

I always chuckle when a "the game has evolved since then" comment is thrown in about football.

Any professional manager who builds his tactics around trends in the game, rather than personnel available, won't make six months in a post.

Truth is, territorial football doesn't work as well unless you have at least one strong ball-winning centre forward, and defenders with a semi-accurate long ball. Without those tools you're basically playing for 0-0.

Before too long another Niall Quinn-Steve Staunton-Denis Irwin combo will appear somewhere in Europe, and that team will play effective direct football. And the circle of evolution will be complete.

If you watched football matches from the even the early days of the EPL in the 90s,  the style of football has changed even since then. Football is far more tactical now than it has been in the past and even the tackling/physicality has changed. Any team that tries to play long ball football against a top side these days will spend most of the game chasing shadows trying to get the ball back and be on the end of a big beating. You only have to go look back to the dark days at the end of Traps time in charge of the Irish side to see how redundant long ball football is in the modern game.

Good managers/teams in all sports are constantly evolving. Any manager/team thinks differently won't last long. With the technology available today and the attention to detail teams now spend studying their opposition before games if you keep doing the same thing you'll soon get figured out.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on September 08, 2020, 01:36:04 PM

Thats a rather worrying analysis. Wrong at every level.

rosnarun

the Belief  Stephen Kenny is Qualified to be a top manager shows people Ignorance and /or lack of respect for the Job .few of us have any idea what it actually entails  but there is no reason to believe that the Jump  to international Class for a manager is any less than that of a player .
Would you entrust the Fai's team  to a bunch of LOI  player  the best one who had a poor spell at a 2nd rate club in Scotland . I doubt it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

weareros

Kenny reminds me a bit of Jim Gavin - he's got a bit of that cool, calculated calmness. I think the not giving the ball away cheaply is good progress after only two games. Would give him time. Needs to vary it upfront. Two small lads will never work although with the quality of the crosses two ducks would have a better chance heading the ball...
On another note, after the two boys broke the Covid rules with the two Iceland birds, former GAA under-age star Jack Grealish must have been sure he'd get his first start for England. Surely they will give him a run at some stage tonight?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: rosnarun on September 08, 2020, 05:08:16 PM
the Belief  Stephen Kenny is Qualified to be a top manager shows people Ignorance and /or lack of respect for the Job .few of us have any idea what it actually entails  but there is no reason to believe that the Jump  to international Class for a manager is any less than that of a player .
Would you entrust the Fai's team  to a bunch of LOI  player  the best one who had a poor spell at a 2nd rate club in Scotland . I doubt it

At the moment, yes. The last few LoI players did perfectly well, Byrne and Burke. The underage sides are full of domestic players The gap between the top LoI clubs and where some of our players play isn't that big.

dublin7

Quote from: rosnarun on September 08, 2020, 05:08:16 PM

Arsene Wenger came from managing in Japan to manage Arsenal to the double. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is managing Man Utd based on a previous managerial career of relegation with Cardiff and managing in Scandinavia.

Stephen Kenny took Dundalk to the group stages of the Europa League playing an attacking brand of football so he clearly isn't stupid. Spending stupid money on big named managers for little benefit is part of the reason the FAI and Irish football is in the mess it's in.

square_ball

Quote from: weareros on September 08, 2020, 07:44:44 PM
On another note, after the two boys broke the Covid rules with the two Iceland birds, former GAA under-age star Jack Grealish must have been sure he'd get his first start for England. Surely they will give him a run at some stage tonight?

He got his run out for 15 minutes. Said afterwards it was a moment he dreamed about since he was a kid 🙄

Ed Ricketts

Good result for the U21s in their Euro qualification group last night. Sweden beat Italy 3-0. Keeps Ireland top of the group, and in a very strong position to qualify for the finals for the first time ever. Not bad going considering they were the fourth seeds at the start of things. Maybe not all doom and gloom ahead.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

An Watcher

Who deserves alot of the credit for getting them there? Mr Kenny

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 09, 2020, 08:58:45 AM
Good result for the U21s in their Euro qualification group last night. Sweden beat Italy 3-0. Keeps Ireland top of the group, and in a very strong position to qualify for the finals for the first time ever. Not bad going considering they were the fourth seeds at the start of things. Maybe not all doom and gloom ahead.

Very much so. The Ruud Doktor plan is starting to bear fruit. Delaney did one thing right in sidelining the schoolboy clubs and putting a regional structure in place and giving the LoI a bigger say in youth development.

One thing that was noteable about the Kerr teams of the 90s was every plsyer went on to be a pro. Admittedly some didn't get farther than the LoI but even the French and Brits can't say that. Hopefully these underage players csn kick on.

Baile Brigín 2

Goalkeepers
Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool), Mark Travers (Bournemouth).

Defenders
Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers), Shane Duffy (Celtic, on loan from Brighton & Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United), Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers).

Midfielders
Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Harry Arter (Nottingham Forest), Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United), Alan Browne (Preston North End, Jayson Molumby (Brighton & Hove Albion), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers), Robbie Brady (Burnley).

Forwards
Callum Robinson (West Bromwich Albion), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Aaron Connolly (Brighton & Hove Albion), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), Adam Idah (Norwich City), Shane Long (Southampton).

An Watcher

Another roller coaster of emotions tonight. COYBIG