FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

I was referring to your shitty comment about Doherty. If you don't have some respect for people representing our country you should f**k off somewhere else

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on September 06, 2020, 11:02:26 PM
Quote from: mouview on September 06, 2020, 08:24:14 PM
Quote from: Itchy on September 06, 2020, 06:41:07 PM
Feel sorry for them, they trying to play but they just don't have the quality

Sorry for them? They're well-paid professionals by any standards and they can scarcely pass the ball to a teammate, a rudimentary requirement of the sport. Bar the absolute minnows, e.g. Gibraltar, Andorra, there's hardly a team in Europe that doesn't show us up in some form as being thoroughly abject. I wish Kenny well and I hope that the FAI back him for a few years in the hope that he may improve the overall standard by some measurement.

There's no creativity in the team, they don't have the tools to break down an organised defence. You can complain all you want, the players aren't there and it'll be corners and frees where most of scores come from. Not Kennys fault.

No, but there is a bigger philosophical argument at olay. Trap and MON played a caveman style because they believed that was all the players were capable of. Kenny is the other extreme, he believes his players can step up and pass teams off the park. Time will tell if he is being naive.

It has also exposed soccers fault line. The grassroots/loi side v the anglocentric side. Give him a chance based on his cv versus he hasn't done it in England so he hasn't achieved anything brigade. And the latter are powerful in tbe media.

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on September 06, 2020, 11:36:52 PM
I was referring to your shitty comment about Doherty. If you don't have some respect for people representing our country you should f**k off somewhere else

He's a terrible defender, his attitude is a major problem, saunters back when he loses the ball. He was the most guilty party for the goal, he was responsible for the goal conceded against Denmark. He is a lad with a big mouth who likes to let it run off to journalists but his performances in an Irish shirt have been absolutely pathetic and his work rate is appalling.

Coleman is probably past it but give me a past it Coleman any day of the week, he knows how to defend and put a shift in - he doesn't think he's above that like Doherty does.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

themac_23

I was pretty p*ssed about how the media hounded O'Neill at the end, every thing he done was scrutinised and especially them clowns on sports joe.ie hammered everything he done, a man who as a player won European cups, as a manager won trophies in Scotland and England but the media wanted a manger who failed with Dunfermline? I have no axe to grind with Stephen Kenny and genuinely hope he does well but the fawning over him was a head scratched and il be interested to see if he gets the same treatment as Mccarthy and O'Neill if things don't go well

thewobbler

Quote from: themac_23 on September 07, 2020, 04:17:06 PM
I was pretty p*ssed about how the media hounded O'Neill at the end, every thing he done was scrutinised and especially them clowns on sports joe.ie hammered everything he done, a man who as a player won European cups, as a manager won trophies in Scotland and England but the media wanted a manger who failed with Dunfermline? I have no axe to grind with Stephen Kenny and genuinely hope he does well but the fawning over him was a head scratched and il be interested to see if he gets the same treatment as Mccarthy and O'Neill if things don't go well

I can see the point you're making. But if the job is to set up a team of limited footballers to play godawful territorial football, then there's no need to pay the price tag that comes with O'Neill.

From the Bunker

To be fair O'Neill ran out of ideas. We were so poor at the end of his reign, hardly anyone was going to games in the Aviva. I have good time for O'Neill, but he had outstayed his welcome and it got a bit embarrassing at the end.

snoopdog

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 07, 2020, 04:48:35 PM

To be fair O'Neill ran out of ideas. We were so poor at the end of his reign, hardly anyone was going to games in the Aviva. I have good time for O'Neill, but he had outstayed his welcome and it got a bit embarrassing at the end.
And it's been brilliant ever since.?

michaelg

Quote from: snoopdog on September 07, 2020, 05:28:53 PM

Perhaps not terribly relevant at present, but is the Aviva too big for games against the likes of Finland?

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: michaelg on September 07, 2020, 05:56:51 PM

Perhaps not terribly relevant at present, but is the Aviva too big for games against the likes of Finland?
Size of the stadium is not terribly relevant at present. That's where Ireland play.

From the Bunker

Quote from: michaelg on September 07, 2020, 05:56:51 PM

Where would you suggest?

weareros

Was the big Norway lad a Usain Bolt style sprinter or was Cathart as slow as a gammy legged  old farmer for Norway's 4th. As bad as we are....

michaelg

Quote from: weareros on September 07, 2020, 08:55:46 PM
Was the big Norway lad a Usain Bolt style sprinter or was Cathart as slow as a gammy legged  old farmer for Norway's 4th. As bad as we are....
Definitely looked a yard or two off the pace.  Michael Smith of Hearts made him look like Beckenbaur though.  Baraclough looks massively out of his depth.

Baile Brigín 2

O'Neill was there a campaign too long, as were Charlton and Trap. He was earning too much to justify.

Kenny is already getting it tight from the media, especially those close to McCarthy.

I think Kenny will flop, but you can't not understand why he got the job. Take any country where most national team players play abroad. Do you think there is any debate in France, Denmark, Norway, Poland, Belgium, Scotland, Serbia, Croatia and so on about appointing a successful domestic manager?

He has the bonus of being seen as a genuine reformer at a time that is needed.

dublin7

O'Neill was a fine manager in the late 90' early 2000's. Unfortunately for him the game has evolved since then and he didn't. The level of apathy towards the Irish football team and the style of football they've played in recent years is as bada as I can ever remember.

Kenny's teams have always tried to play football. Ireland are not a good side, but if he can make them watchable and reasonably competitive that's good enough for me. It won't happen overnight but at least he's going with younger players and looking to the future rather than the short term planning that has got Ireland in the mess their in. Picking the likes of Glenn Whelan would be a backward step at this stage

seafoid

Quote from: dublin7 on September 08, 2020, 08:28:16 AM

O'Neill was a fine manager in the late 90' early 2000's. Unfortunately for him the game has evolved since then and he didn't. The level of apathy towards the Irish football team and the style of football they've played in recent years is as bada as I can ever remember.

Kenny's teams have always tried to play football. Ireland are not a good side, but if he can make them watchable and reasonably competitive that's good enough for me. It won't happen overnight but at least he's going with younger players and looking to the future rather than the short term planning that has got Ireland in the mess their in. Picking the likes of Glenn Whelan would be a backward step at this stage
It's going to take time. The big risk is that the players don't buy into it. If it works out it will be a big step forward. Ireland have been in a holding pattern for far too long.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU