Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 14, 2020, 02:19:36 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 14, 2020, 02:09:24 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 14, 2020, 01:58:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 14, 2020, 01:50:52 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 14, 2020, 01:41:22 PM
All you guys living in gentrified neighborhoods better watch out......you're next in the list

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkDice/status/1294076760078684160

Yes, watch out, the scary black people are coming for you!

Maybe they should ban gentrification. That would dovetail nicely with the GOP trying to stop low-income housing in the suburbs. Keep everyone in their own neighbourhoods.

Make of it what you want....it's right there on the video them threatening people to give their houses to Black people. I didn't put words in their mouths

BLM is a Marxist group....all the "woke" white millennials are about to have a rude awakening

Gentrification is a legitimate concern, whether its a poor/industrial area of Brooklyn, or a bucolic landscape 100 miles from a major city where the locals are being priced out of the market by well-off city people purchasing holiday homes.

As usual, conservatives don't give a f**k about any of this. All they care about is seeing the liberals cry and shouting about commies.

I just love the hypocrisy

All the wealthy white liberals I know have millennial kids living in these gentrified neighborhoods each congratulating the other in how woke they are. I actually saw a post where someone warned the others in a book group about "White Fragility" and how maybe they shouldn't be reading it because to some people of color feel its condescending to them......couldn't make it up

Just because you happen to get an apartment in a gentrified neighbourhood doesn't make you a hypocrite. If you go around preaching about gentrification while, say, opposing measures that might help counter it such as the inclusion of affordable housing in any new developments, then you would be a hypocrite.

It must be great to be a conservative. You can sneer at the liberals getting caught out partaking in the system, while at the same time not giving a single f**k about any of the problems yourself. You don't care that neighbourhoods are being gentrified, so you are free to oppose measures such low income housing without anyone labelling you a hypocrite, while at the same time gloating over your "woke" acquaintances discomfort.

Because its all about making the liberals cry. That's all that matters.

whitey

Ah....J70 you need to get out of the city and live in a town with rich white liberals to really have your eyes opened

I could regale you with tales for a month that would make your head spin.

One doctor and his wife in our town  who have a Prius with a "we are the 99% " sticker had an elderly neighbor who passed away. Her grandson inherited the house and they proceeded to make his life a living hell with frivolous legal issues. He didn't have the money to fight them and in the end just sold them the house, which they then proceeded to knock so they could enlarge their garden.

The richest person I know who made all his money on Wall Street had a son participating in the Occupy protests.....then retiring to his parents $3M condo in the Back Bay for some well deserved R&R (that's just one of their houses)

Maybe you just don't meet people like that in the city

sid waddell

This is why right-wingers around the world are so intent on destroying education, and on waging a war to spread stupidity.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1294270279062036480

new Pew Research national poll:

whites without college degree
Trump 64%, Biden 34%

everyone else
Biden 68%, Trump 30%

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on August 14, 2020, 04:25:47 PM
This is why right-wingers around the world are so intent on destroying education, and on waging a war to spread stupidity.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1294270279062036480

new Pew Research national poll:

whites without college degree
Trump 64%, Biden 34%

everyone else
Biden 68%, Trump 30%

Sid....what you'd know if you lived here, is that a lot of these folks you're demonizing, actually used to be reliable Democratic voters, but the Democrats no longer share their values

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/nation/politics/2019/11/voters-2020-election/pennsylvania/erie/

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on August 14, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Just because you happen to get an apartment in a gentrified neighbourhood doesn't make you a hypocrite. If you go around preaching about gentrification while, say, opposing measures that might help counter it such as the inclusion of affordable housing in any new developments, then you would be a hypocrite.

It must be great to be a conservative. You can sneer at the liberals getting caught out partaking in the system, while at the same time not giving a single f**k about any of the problems yourself. You don't care that neighbourhoods are being gentrified, so you are free to oppose measures such low income housing without anyone labelling you a hypocrite, while at the same time gloating over your "woke" acquaintances discomfort.

Conservatives (particularly the "don't park in front of my house" crowd) are some of the biggest NIMBYs out there.

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 14, 2020, 05:36:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 14, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Conservatives (particularly the "don't park in front of my house" crowd) are some of the biggest NIMBYs out there.
does all this gentrification of  city neighborhoods cause homelessness  ? what do you think .

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gmac on August 14, 2020, 06:03:48 PM
does all this gentrification of  city neighborhoods cause homelessness  ? what do you think .

Homelessness has a lot of causes. This is not an exhaustive list but here are some of the causes as I see them:

• Stagnant wages
  • The expense of being poor
  • Lack of financial acumen (should be taught in school IMHO)
  • Poor land use that forces people to travel big distances for work or any other purpose
  • Lack of a social safety net that would help homeless people to get back into the system
  • Housing shortages, which are caused by

• Convoluted planning rules
    • Height limits that make it hard to build anything taller than a gas station
    • Mandatory parking minimums that increase the expense of development while also encouraging more traffic
    • Perverse tax incentives that encourage commercial development but discourage residential development (like Prop 13 in California) resulting in some cities having a jobs/housing imbalance
    • NIMBYism, which is caused by

• Subsidized high rates of home ownership which incentivizes people to shut newcomers out of the housing market to protect their own investment
      • Mostly bogus concerns about shadows, changes to neighborhood character, traffic, etc.
      • The "I'm all right jack to hell with you" attitude

Eamonnca1

Remember when I said conservatives wouldn't have a clue whether to attack Harris for being black, Indian, or a woman? How they wouldn't know which bigoted gear to engage? Would be absolutely baffled by her because their black-and-white conservative brains are incapable of dealing with the slightest bit of complexity? Well here we are:

QuoteRepublicans are trying to decide whether Kamala Harris is "legally" Black

By Bil Browning Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Now that presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden has named Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) as his running mate, Republicans have been scrambling to find a line of attack against her.

One of the worst that they're mounting is whether or not she is "legally" Black.

Related: Have you seen Kamala Harris' hot stepson?

While David Bernstein over at Reason spent time trying to figure out how Harris should classify herself on government documents and the technical guidelines surrounding them, others, like pundits Dinesh D'Souza and Mark Levin, took a simpler route.

They say she isn't an African American because her father is Jamaican and her mother is Indian. Both her parents immigrated to the United States.

The line is similar to the racist birther attacks lobbed at former President Barack Obama, a Black man whose father is Kenyan. Donald Trump was a staunch proponent of the racist claims that Obama isn't "American."

"I'm not going to be a stickler about this," Levin said on his BlazeTV show, "but the media will insist on it. Kamala Harris is not an African American. She is Indian and Jamaican."

"African American in the American context generally means having a direct relationship to the experiences of slavery and segregation and Jim Crow so on," D'Souza said on Fox News. "And the point I'm trying to make is that Kamala Harris seems to be descended less from the legacy of, let's say, Frederick Douglass, than she is from the legacy of the plantation itself."

Jamelle Bouie responded to the idea that Jamaicans can't be Black on Twitter: "How does Mark Levin think Black people got to Jamaica?"

He pointed out that enslaved African people were brought to Jamaica and white slave owners in Jamaica often had children with enslaved Africans, which means that Harris's ancestry on her father's side is similar to many Black people's in the U.S.

"'Black America' has always been a diverse collection of backgrounds (descendants of US slaves, free-born and immigrants), admixtures and phenotypes," he wrote.

Moreover, Harris is "Black in an American context" because of how she gets treated in the U.S. due to her physical appearance, according to Bouie.

During one of the most talked-about moments of the Democratic primary, Harris attacked Biden for his previous opposition to school busing, pointing out that she was part of the second class to integrate a public school after being bused there from her neighborhood.

Even Black conservative gadflies Diamond and Silk got in on the action, flat out asserting that Harris "isn't Black," even though she identifies as Black.

"But see you have got to understand something about Kamala Harris," Silk told a morning talk show host. "Kamala is not even Black. So you know when she talks about racism, that's why she don't care about it. She's not even Black."

"She claiming now she is Black. Somebody claimed that she was Asian American and then they are saying she's Indian. I don't know what she is," Diamond added.

In early 2019, as she launched her own presidential campaign, Harris responded to the allegations that she's not "Black enough."

"So, I was born in Oakland," she said, laughing with a host of the popular radio show The Breakfast Club, "and raised in the United States except for the years I was in high school and in Montreal, Canada."

"And, look, this is the same thing they did to Barack. This is not new to us. And so, I think that we know what they're trying to do. They're trying to do what's been happening over the past two years which is powerful voices trying to sow division and hate among us."

"And so we need to recognize when we're being played."

After a quick look at all the various legal definitions, back over at Reason, Bernstein finally concluded that, yes, Kamala Harris is "legally" Black.

"In short, under American law, no one could deny Harris's right to assert that she is half-Indian and less-than-half of African ancestry, but so long as she considers herself, and is considered by others, to be African American, for legal purposes she is black," he wrote.

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 14, 2020, 06:42:57 PM

Homelessness has a lot of causes. This is not an exhaustive list but here are some of the causes as I see them:

• Stagnant wages
  • Poor land use that forces people to travel big distances for work or any other purpose
  • Lack of a social safety net that would help homeless people to get back into the system

• Mandatory parking minimums that increase the expense of development while also encouraging more traffic
    • Perverse tax incentives that encourage commercial development but discourage residential development (like Prop 13 in California) resulting in some cities having a jobs/housing imbalance

• Subsidized high rates of home ownership which incentivizes people to shut newcomers out of the housing market to protect their own investment
      • Mostly bogus concerns about shadows, changes to neighborhood character, traffic, etc.

you forgot the number 1 reason drug and alcohol addiction.

whitey

Quote from: Gmac on August 14, 2020, 09:54:11 PM

• Stagnant wages

LOL-why would he have included that?

He couldn't blame Republicans if he told the truth

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gmac on August 14, 2020, 09:54:11 PM

• Stagnant wages

What's your source for that claim? According to the first source I found that comes in at number 5 for individuals and not in the top 5 for families:

QuoteAccording to the most recent annual survey by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, major cities across the country report that top causes of homelessness among families were: (1) lack of affordable housing, (2) unemployment, (3) poverty, and (4) low wages, in that order. The same report found that the top four causes of homelessness among unaccompanied individuals were (1) lack of affordable housing, (2) unemployment, (3) poverty, (4) mental illness and the lack of needed services, and (5) substance abuse and the lack of needed services.

U.S. States Conference of Mayors, Hunger and Homelessness Survey: A STATUS ON HUNGER AND HOMELESS IN AMERICA'S CITIES –
A 25-CITY SURVEY 2 (Dec. 2014), http://www.usmayors.org/pressreleases/uploads/2014/1211-report-hh.pdf.

Gmac

Biden campaign refusing to go on any of the Sunday morning news shows , I wonder why

fearbrags

Quote from: Gmac on August 15, 2020, 04:05:49 PM
Biden campaign refusing to go on any of the Sunday morning news shows , I wonder why

Because he is winning 🙄

whitey

Quote from: fearbrags on August 16, 2020, 01:26:13 AM

Because he is winning 🙄

Exactly....all he needs to do is run down the clock

Nothing to be gained by going on TV, although this tactic may not sit well with some of the people whose vote he needs to win.

johnnycool

Quote from: whitey on August 16, 2020, 11:18:45 AM
Quote from: fearbrags on August 16, 2020, 01:26:13 AM

Because he is winning 🙄

Exactly....all he needs to do is run down the clock

Nothing to be gained by going on TV, although this tactic may not sit well with some of the people whose vote he needs to win.

didn't harm Boris by not going on with Andrew Neil and even hiding in a fridge FFS.

I'd say the Trump campaign are desperate for Biden to make a slip of some sort and a TV debate between the two may very well be a car crash for both and a sad indictment of American politics.

Yer one would wipe the floor with Pence if there were a VP debate.