referring to english teams as "we" or "us"

Started by Drumanee 1, March 19, 2008, 03:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

It's not the terminology, more the phenomenon itself that puzzles me. Of course anyone is entitled to be passionate about the fortunes of a foreign corporation that happens to be engaged in the business of soccer. But if you don't have even a remote connection with the company, or the city they're based in, beyond an apparently random decision to choose them as "your" team, usually when you're about ten, I'm equally entitled to find it hard to understand.

Come on Societe Generale. I love the flair of those those French banks.

ONeill

Hardy, I actually feel sorry for you. You're missing out on the delights of the human emotive capabilities. Mrs Hardy must have it rough.

Mrs Hardy: "Did you like those spuds"
Hardy: "Aye, they were nice I suppose"
Mrs Hardy: "I'm definitely getting them again"
Hardy: "I agree"
Mrs Hardy: "In fact, they're my favourite pitters"
Hardy: "Aye, mine too"
Mrs Hardy: "Did you know they're Greek"
Hardy: (splutter) "what?"
Mrs Hardy: "They're Greek praties"
Hardy: "My feelings are now detached"
Mrs Hardy: "Eh?"
Hardy: "They're foreign, so my liking for them in unfathomable"
Mrs Hardy: "Not this again"
Hardy: "What do you mean, Bridie?"
Mrs Hardy: "Like that time you broke up all your Lego models when you found out where Lego was from"
Hardy: "How can I like the produce of a foreign corporation"
Mrs Hardy: "Feck this, you need the ride"
Hardy: "As long as the bed is Irish made. If not, no satisfaction can be garnered from foreign comfort"
Mrs Hardy: "Feck sake, your blue shirts are ironed".

I have ti laugh at those who simply don't have an interest in foreign games and attempt to use that as a social commentry on those who do. They feign bewilderment of those who do in order to appear more 'Irish'. Wandering souls.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

ONeill, surely Hardy wouldn't mind the Greek spuds. It's the King Charles he wouldn't like  ;)
Testing Accessibility

magpie seanie

I think I may have detected a barb aimed at me earlier in this thread. As is not unusual from the source it came from it is entirely unfair and moreover completely inaccurate.

For the record I never refer to Manchester United as "we" or "us" as I don't feel comfortable doing that. I have a really big interest in the club but do not feel like I'm part of it. Fearon is definitely entitled to refer to Spurs in those terms and to be honest to each their own. Its not for me to judge I suppose.

Hardy

O'Neill - very funny as usual. But wide of the mark and point missed completely. I have nothing at all against "foreign" games. I don't even know what that means. I don't think games have nationalities. I'm as cosmopolitan as the next hombre/homme/geezer. I have English people in my extended family.   In fact, some of my best friends ... Also, it's pretty much at odds with the general perception of me here to describe me as an ultra-nationalist longing to "appear" more Irish. (I also don't believe in degrees of Irishness).

So, apart from all that, your understanding of my attitude to foreign (not just English) soccer is on the button. Just to clarify - I support the right of anyone to be passionate about anything they choose. I myself can't get passionate about the fortunes of any company, really, apart from my own, and particularly one based in a city far away (in any country), with which I have no imaginable connection. And I struggle to understand the motivation of those who do*. That's all.

*Actually, I don't. I understand it fairly well. I used to be a Manchester United fan, until one day I decided it made no sense at all and I lost complete interest in the whole thing. And of course from that moment on I started pulling the legs of those who continue to be interested in it.

bennydorano

My Dad is 76 and he goes on like a 10yr old child were Man Utd are concerned, we this, us that, arguing the bit out with allcomers - it's just plain embarassing.  For a onetime GAA ultra to plunge to such depths really really bugs the sh1t out of me and it has probably clouded my judgement on the issue as I heap the same derision on everyone else with a similar outlook. 

ONeill

But I didn't miss your point. You initially said:  But if you don't have even a remote connection with the company, or the city they're based in, beyond an apparently random decision to choose them as "your" team, usually when you're about ten, I'm equally entitled to find it hard to understand.

That's not understanding the nature of sport/music/the arts and its effect on the human psyche. Just as long as you don't go overboard and throw yerself off the top of Navan Fort when Daniel calls it a day, it's a healthy interest and adds spice to ones already fun-filled day.

I don't like tomato sauce but at the same time understand those who drown their cumberlands in it.
For all we know you might replace that buzz you're missing out on on a lethal cocktail of Islay Whisky and champ.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

You don't like tomato sauce? What's wrong with you ONeill?  :o
Testing Accessibility

magpie seanie

Has to be Heinz though or else he's right.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Hardy

You did miss my point. Put it this way, what have the fortunes of a multinational conglomerate called "Manchester United" got to do with sport? Never mind music or the arts? I get spice into my fun-filled days by shouting at the telly. Isn't that good enough for any man?

Speaking of lethal cocktails, I'm off now to an annual Holy Thursday charity lunch that inevitably turns into the biggest, most head-throbbing booze-up of the year. Holy Thursday is an inspired choice, because it means nobody will regret the pubs being shut tomorrow. Wish me luck and remind me to remember to stick to the Beamish, when strangely-coloured concoctions start appearing about seven this evening.