Previous topic - Next topic

MajorShields26

Quote from: thewobbler on October 05, 2022, 12:57:22 PM
Quote from: MajorShields26 on October 05, 2022, 12:41:03 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 05, 2022, 11:48:33 AM
Quote from: MajorShields26 on October 05, 2022, 11:44:33 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 05, 2022, 11:33:14 AM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 05, 2022, 11:16:57 AM
The only rule that needs changing is the forward mark, which is a terrible rule. After that, please leave well alone. There is a widespread tendency for critics to lament the loss of some golden era of Gaelic football which never actually existed. Watch any football from the seventies / eighties and see how awful the standard actually was.

I don't lament a golden era. Not even close.

But watching a team move the ball sideways in their own half, unopposed, for minutes at a time, is not entertainment. It's not sport. It's not skilful. It's not manly. It's not intelligent. It's just shit. Absolute shit. And it needs to be culled from the game.

Up to the defending team to come out and try to win the ball. Teams only do this when they are ahead and other team sitting in. Why should winning team be punished for other team being over defensive?

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

Every sport that has inadvertently created a situation where there is no need for both teams to attack, has sought to correct the anomaly, through rule changes.

Why in holy f**k'a name you are defending the one sport that hasn't, is beyond me. It's a form of masochism what you are going through, it really is.

Lad your talking shite. Ridiculously naive. Defending team sitting back when behind is beyond dumb. Should be weeded out of game. 13 aside would fix everything. It would be impossible to cover all the space in scoring zone with 13 men. People that think defending team should sit in when behind are so dumb.

Naive?

I've watched plenty of teams the past decade play "successful" ultra-negative football when a man down.

13 a side would make more space. But the downside is that it would give even more room again for endless, skill-less ball retention.

And it would make for a worse game.

This is really obvious when you think about it.

Naive?

You're brainwashed at the minute. Drunk on success. It will though wear off.

——

Regarding your next post.

Blanket defences primarily exist because possession is overwhelmingly more useful than territory in Gaelic Football.

The correct rule change will make it rewarding, indeed essential, to have early and multiple territorial options.

Not true. Blanket defence came prior to possession football. It is in fact the whole reason possession football exists. far harder to keep the ball if being marked man to man. Why reward a team for sitting back when losing instead of chasing the ball?

If we put things in to stop teams keeping possession such as a shot clock we would essentially have a game where a team defends for 1 minute until other team kicks it away to them and then they go up and do it on other side. It Would become a pointless game where defensives are being rewarded for sitting in and not engaging.

Armagh18

Quote from: MajorShields26 on October 05, 2022, 02:29:00 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 05, 2022, 12:57:22 PM
Quote from: MajorShields26 on October 05, 2022, 12:41:03 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 05, 2022, 11:48:33 AM
Quote from: MajorShields26 on October 05, 2022, 11:44:33 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 05, 2022, 11:33:14 AM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 05, 2022, 11:16:57 AM
The only rule that needs changing is the forward mark, which is a terrible rule. After that, please leave well alone. There is a widespread tendency for critics to lament the loss of some golden era of Gaelic football which never actually existed. Watch any football from the seventies / eighties and see how awful the standard actually was.

I don't lament a golden era. Not even close.

But watching a team move the ball sideways in their own half, unopposed, for minutes at a time, is not entertainment. It's not sport. It's not skilful. It's not manly. It's not intelligent. It's just shit. Absolute shit. And it needs to be culled from the game.

Up to the defending team to come out and try to win the ball. Teams only do this when they are ahead and other team sitting in. Why should winning team be punished for other team being over defensive?

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

Every sport that has inadvertently created a situation where there is no need for both teams to attack, has sought to correct the anomaly, through rule changes.

Why in holy f**k'a name you are defending the one sport that hasn't, is beyond me. It's a form of masochism what you are going through, it really is.

Lad your talking shite. Ridiculously naive. Defending team sitting back when behind is beyond dumb. Should be weeded out of game. 13 aside would fix everything. It would be impossible to cover all the space in scoring zone with 13 men. People that think defending team should sit in when behind are so dumb.

Naive?

I've watched plenty of teams the past decade play "successful" ultra-negative football when a man down.

13 a side would make more space. But the downside is that it would give even more room again for endless, skill-less ball retention.

And it would make for a worse game.

This is really obvious when you think about it.

Naive?

You're brainwashed at the minute. Drunk on success. It will though wear off.

——

Regarding your next post.

Blanket defences primarily exist because possession is overwhelmingly more useful than territory in Gaelic Football.

The correct rule change will make it rewarding, indeed essential, to have early and multiple territorial options.

Not true. Blanket defence came prior to possession football. It is in fact the whole reason possession football exists. far harder to keep the ball if being marked man to man. Why reward a team for sitting back when losing instead of chasing the ball?

If we put things in to stop teams keeping possession such as a shot clock we would essentially have a game where a team defends for 1 minute until other team kicks it away to them and then they go up and do it on other side. It Would become a pointless game where defensives are being rewarded for sitting in and not engaging.
A shot clock is never going to work for the reasons you have said. The only thing that could work in theory is some kind of rule where you must have x amount of players in the oppositions half at all times, but this would be impossible to police.

thewobbler

A foul for passing the ball back across either 45 requires no technology and would be easy to assess. If punished with a 45 for the opposition (from hands or the ground), it would be a suitable deterrent.

The team without the ball gets a reward for pushing up and pushing the opposition out (instead of the current situation whereby they often get punished by having to travel from one end of the field to then other if pressing) in that their opponent's playing area is immediately reduced in size. The requirement for always having an emergency/ preferred out ball encourages the possession team to keep players close to the opposing call.

themac_23

It'll take a manager or coach to just go f it, we're gonna leave our 6 forwards up and play them man for man when opposition has the ball, you're gonna concede scores but I'm yet to see a tactic which won't concede scores. I genuinely don't know how some teams would react to not having the time on the ball. Turn the team over in their own half enough times and they'll soon want to get the ball forward. It boils down to managers being brave and backing their players .

smort

Good suggestion on the Down thread about moving kickouts back to edge of small square, would make the short kickout more difficult and would encourage teams to press up.

Quarterbackk

The introduction of the forward and defensive mark IMO has reduced the level of skill in the game and deprived us with the opportunity to see evasive forward play, forwards taking defenders on and likewise defenders defending 1 on 1. It largely came about because of the blanket defenses.  Think of Canavan's goal v Kerry in 05.  If Mulligan calls the mark we don't get to see Canavan's incredible finish.  Midfield mark promotes high fielding so no issue with that.

rrhf

Totally agree with that. The mark is making the game less exciting. I would add the fisted point to that.

6th sam

Quote from: smort on October 05, 2022, 04:10:00 PM
Good suggestion on the Down thread about moving kickouts back to edge of small square, would make the short kickout more difficult and would encourage teams to press up.

It could actually have the opposite effect . A keeper can set the ball down and get it away quicker as he only has to run to smaller square rather than 20m. Any rule changes need to be tested in competitive games to test these unintended consequences rather than knee jerk changes. Rather than over complicate things I would keep any change simple eg no backpasses in own half, and test it for a full year in a semi-competitive environment ( ie not league or championship)

Armagh18

Quote from: smort on October 05, 2022, 04:10:00 PM
was the idea behind that rule not to leave less space for short kick outs?

MajorShields26

Seen a young lad wearing a captains armband the other night in an u15 game. Do you think this could come into GAA more? I know big soccer idea but would make it easy for supporters to identify and see contribution from captain. It may have a  psychological for the player wearing to be a real leader? And bring us back to glory days. 

Truth hurts

Quote from: MajorShields26 on October 05, 2022, 08:48:13 PM
Seen a young lad wearing a captains armband the other night in an u15 game. Do you think this could come into GAA more? I know big soccer idea but would make it easy for supporters to identify and see contribution from captain. It may have a  psychological for the player wearing to be a real leader? And bring us back to glory days.

A captain's armband! Of all the rule changes in the world you you come up with that lol

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 06, 2022, 08:34:48 AM
Quote from: MajorShields26 on October 05, 2022, 08:48:13 PM

A captain's armband! Of all the rule changes in the world you you come up with that lol

If I seen some kid come up to me taking the toss with a fecking armband on saying captain on it he'd lose the call every time lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Do you have one of those coins with heads or tails both sides to suit occasions like this  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 06, 2022, 09:01:40 AM
Do you have one of those coins with heads or tails both sides to suit occasions like this  ;D

You ask them first, throw it up and catch it and say whatever side fits  ;)   
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Ah never show them. I'd be asking you if I were them  ;D