Best hurl makers

Started by Upandover, September 26, 2022, 09:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upandover

Who makes the best hurls?
Ive seen alot of kids using kilkenny stars recently also known as dowlings, also plenty using brian walsh sticks.
Just wondering who is regarded as the best hurl maker today? Kids due new ones but find the torpey sticks in oneills garbage and bourkes hurls far too heavy. These are the shops selling hurls close to me in belfast, heard a fella saying juvenile hurls the ash wont be great no matter who the maker is, not sure how true this rings though.

clonadmad

Star Dowling Conahy
Brian Walsh Enniscorthy
John Ryan Littleton

From the Bunker

Ash dieback the big problem ahead!

Baile an tuaigh

I have a hurl belonging to Colin Fennelly, I see he uses "the star" Hurley Kilkenny. So that's a man who has two all stars and  9 all Ireland senior medals between club and county, two national leagues so that might be an endorsement right there.

Milltown Row2

In all my years hurling, and that was up to my mid to late 40's I've only ever bought 2 new sticks, one broke in the first game in front of the hurly maker ;D I let him know what I felt about the stick at the time

The other hurls I 'bought' were second hand fixed hurls from lads that left them with someone who would have fixed hurls and never came back for them!

The stick had matured and seasoned, having been fixed it was stronger actually in the place were it was fixed so it generally never broke again in that area

If you are a bad stick man you'll break plenty sticks, hurls are a personal choice so if Fennelly uses a 'star' hurl its because the lad that makes it uses a copy or replica and shapes his new hurl accordingly and ensures the weight is were he wants it..

He'll not go to a bag of hurls and just take one cause it feels right, the top players have to have it the same otherwise they'll not strike the ball as they are used too.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Can you get Brian Walsh hurls in the 6 counties ?

Upandover

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 27, 2022, 01:19:07 PM
There is a northern agent for them i think they work out of dunloy but i havent been able to get in touch with them.
A shop local to me does the star, declan barron and used to have canning before they stopped, i dont like the declan barron hurls the shaft feels very rounded to me on any ive lifted.

Kidder81

Quote from: Upandover on September 27, 2022, 01:54:54 PM
There is a northern agent for them i think they work out of dunloy but i havent been able to get in touch with them.
A shop local to me does the star, declan barron and used to have canning before they stopped, i dont like the declan barron hurls the shaft feels very rounded to me on any ive lifted.

His number is 07517 253589

Upandover

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 27, 2022, 02:07:54 PM

Thanks kidder, ive tried it a few times and left msgs to no avail.

Kidder81

Quote from: Upandover on September 27, 2022, 02:18:02 PM
Can you get Brian Walsh hurls in the 6 counties :-\ ?

That's a strange business model  :-\

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Yeah boy doing them in rasharkin and Derry City

rosnarun

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 27, 2022, 02:39:16 PM

is that not how all business' operate now.
As for ASH Die back ive been hearing about for about 30 years now  are any Hurleys made from Irish ash now?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: rosnarun on September 27, 2022, 06:00:42 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on September 27, 2022, 02:39:16 PM

is that not how all business' operate now.
As for ASH Die back ive been hearing about for about 30 years now  are any Hurleys made from Irish ash now?
Did Canning hurls not recently stop production because of the difficulty I'm obtaining Ash?

Milltown Row2

Years ago they were getting it from Poland if I can remember right?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea