The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Quote from: thewobbler on June 21, 2021, 02:42:09 PM
Torrey Pines is really not a great venue at all. Great views, but very little in the way of memorable holes or shots.

Rahm proved the bookies right in the end. He does seem to be a guy who improves day on day at each tournament.

But my key learning from the weekend is that west coast golf makes for shit times for us over here, and it should be banned.

West coast courses mean that here on the east coast I can head out and do something outdoors for fathers day and than watch the end in the early evening.

cadhlancian

Torrey Pines is a fantastic course! Have played it many times , obviously the views etc is a big part of it, but as an actual course , its fantastic, played a little easier this year than when Tiger won on -1 in 2008.

smelmoth

Quote from: Louther on June 21, 2021, 02:50:15 PM
Where it went wrong for McIlroy was on the par 3 the hole before the ball plugging. He'd wobbled on hole prior to par 3 but saved par. Hit the green safely and 3 putted. The. Hit a poor drive and approach to end up in bunker where he did. I'm sure he was rattled from the 3 putt and felt he'd blow it with such a tight leaderboard at the time, just as several imploded at same stage.

His over all game was good and he not far away, think he just needs to be more consistent and get into contention regularly again on the last day.

Great to see Rahm win. His course management was brilliant, driving was steady all day.

He got the par 3 wrong. He played a whole badly and lost a shot. But backing it up with a double bogey was a killer. On the double bogey it wasn't just that it plugged but where it plugged. That did for him.

thebigfella

McIlroy plugged, Louis run into the hazard and Rahm stayed in bounds. Small margins and luck.

fearsiuil

You gotta love Rahm's celebration after holing his birdie on the 18th, pure joy. Seems a sound bloke, Mrs Rahm must of got his goat up last night.

Orior

Quote from: smelmoth on June 21, 2021, 07:29:30 PM
Quote from: Louther on June 21, 2021, 02:50:15 PM
Where it went wrong for McIlroy was on the par 3 the hole before the ball plugging. He'd wobbled on hole prior to par 3 but saved par. Hit the green safely and 3 putted. The. Hit a poor drive and approach to end up in bunker where he did. I'm sure he was rattled from the 3 putt and felt he'd blow it with such a tight leaderboard at the time, just as several imploded at same stage.

His over all game was good and he not far away, think he just needs to be more consistent and get into contention regularly again on the last day.

Great to see Rahm win. His course management was brilliant, driving was steady all day.

He got the par 3 wrong. He played a whole badly and lost a shot. But backing it up with a double bogey was a killer. On the double bogey it wasn't just that it plugged but where it plugged. That did for him.

It was noticeable how Rory was taking a second and third look at putts before the par 3, and he holed those putts. When it came to the par 3, he rushed the third putt, and missed it. Shoulders down, his next three strokes lost him the chance to contend.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

A couple of men answering Ireland's call best of luck to them!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/57568124

trailer

Can't believe Rory declared for Ireland. He's not really Irish. Remember the handy checklist, you need to love the Wolfe Tones, hate all things British, Vote SF.

Is Leyton Hewitt playing.

Mikhail Prokhorov

no covid (zika) in Japan?  ;)

or did team gb not want Ireland's greatest  ::)

late call up for hewitt

trailer

Was lucky to get out on St Patrick's links over the weekend. Great course, with spectacular views of the Atlantic lol. Very playable. Will be a good fair test when it settles down. Greens very slopey. Off the fairway and you're dead. Really enjoyed it.

JPGJOHNNYG

Seamus power gets into contention but then has a bit of a mare did the same thing a few weeks back. Very frustrating as he needs some good finishes to get back on the tour full time

Orior

Has anyone played Letterkenny?

Great course, but the first 5 holes are a nightmare for anyone with a slice.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on June 28, 2021, 09:52:46 AM

Played it at a stag weekend, all the the holes were shit and I lost about 20 balls, in fairness I'm not a golfer, I only played to stay off the beer longer
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2021, 01:21:46 PM
Quote from: Orior on June 28, 2021, 09:52:46 AM

Played it at a stag weekend, all the the holes were shit and I lost about 20 balls, in fairness I'm not a golfer, I only played to stay off the beer longer

That sounds like a hoot, lol.

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: thewobbler on May 28, 2021, 10:53:42 AM
I'm booked into St Patrick's for June 27th.

I've a nagging fear they might push out the course opening. Hopefully not. Playing a new Doak course on its first weekend of opening would be quite the honour.

Any review Wobbler? Booked for August and excited to hear what it's like. All the word I'm hearing is very positive.