The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Read an article in the "i"  newspaper today (or might have been yesterday), didn't say anything outrageous but I got a slight whiff of they think the Irish are juicing tbh, "scarcely believable performance' was one phrase that caught my suspicious eye, could have been totally innocent of course but phraseology like that used to follow some dodgy cyclists about.

drici

Quote from: bcarrier on March 30, 2013, 10:25:46 PM

Absolutely gutted for JT but just hope he can continue whatever progress there has been.

Panther Claw had a pretty tough.race last week IMO. Just back the three biggest outsiders e.w.

And again!

This system has now produced 2 winners of the race in 8 runnings.(no race last year.)
2013 - Liberty Counsel at 50/1
2021 - Freewheelin Dylan at 150/1

Cunny Funt

Fair play to Rachael Blackmore first female jockey winner of the English grand national.

Had money on the favourite Cloth cap, was 2nd well placed to win only to pull up with two fences to go.

bannside

Ireland fill 11 of first 12 places... unprecedented. Some year for Rachel and Henry. Will never see the likes again.

Rich Ricci

Was on Any Second Now, thought it would have had a great chance if it hadn't been badly hampered by the faller. That's part and parcel of the big field handicaps though.

Credit to Rachael Blackmore. she's far and away the best jockey around at the minute. Her tactical awareness is second to none and she has an uncanny ability to avoid trouble in running. She's ruthless as f**k also.

MK

Quote from: bannside on April 10, 2021, 08:02:22 PM
Ireland fill 11 of first 12 places... unprecedented. Some year for Rachel and Henry. Will never see the likes again.

Fair play to Kevin  Blake who clearly stated on ITV's morning preview show that an Irish 1234 was a great bet at 50/1, much to the disdain of Matt Chapman who said there's no chance...the Irish trained horses did not disappoint as they filled 11 of the top 12 finishers

bennydorano

screenexile

The way he talks about "a Lance Armstrong figure" means it could only be one main stable or am
I reading it wrong??

bennydorano

Has this come out of the blue, don't see much online gossip? It's a wonder Superboc Ewan hasn't has his say on twitter

bennydorano

Have to be AOB then? With the money threw at it, volume and quality of horses they have how could Bolger even tell???

Hound

Quote from: bennydorano on June 14, 2021, 11:09:52 PM
Have to be AOB then? With the money threw at it, volume and quality of horses they have how could Bolger even tell???
I wouldn't be reading the Lance Armstrong reference literally (ie that it's the biggest name in the sport).
My reading is that he's talking about something he believes is reasonably widespread. I'd say more among the medium sized trainers (and the lower end of those) where horses crop up to win races having shown nothing previously.
Its harder for jockeys to get away with riding with the handbrake on, as bans for them can be costly. So I would say there are more cases of drugs to make horses go both slower and faster.

AOB has the best, most expensive horses anyway. He'll do whatever it takes and will push boundaries, but illegal drugs? Very unlikely.

SHEEDY

Anyone watch the panorama documentary on life after racing for some horses? Wasn't a great watch for anyone who thinks all horses are given 5star treatment during and after racing.
Seen matt Chapman on twitter trying to deflect by saying if it wasn't for racing these horses wouldn't have been born in first place, strange take 🤔
nil satis nisi optimum

trailer

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 20, 2021, 10:35:17 PM
Anyone watch the panorama documentary on life after racing for some horses? Wasn't a great watch for anyone who thinks all horses are given 5star treatment during and after racing.
Seen matt Chapman on twitter trying to deflect by saying if it wasn't for racing these horses wouldn't have been born in first place, strange take 🤔

Yeah I think most people never thing about it. But same with Greyhounds. You don't see many knocking about so you'd wonder what happens to all the pups that never make it.
I think I said it on another thread but I wonder if Horse racing and the likes are in the last throws. Similar to what happened hunting in the UK.

Average Score

Rachael Blackmore passes the 1 million mark in winnings - some going.