Author Topic: The Horse racing thread  (Read 835124 times)

Rich Ricci

• View Profile
Re: The Horse racing thread
« Reply #9705 on: March 19, 2021, 05:53:46 PM »
Another Cheltenham over with some great stories throughout. Some week of racing for the Irish who dominated with 23 winners to GB’s 5. Rachael Blackmore the star of the show with 6 winners and she really was exceptional all week. However she did pick the wrong one in the Gold Cup. Was delighted for Jack Kennedy to win on Minella Indo even though I had Al Boum backed.

Made a decent profit overall for the week mainly thanks to Sir Gerhard,Tell me something girl and Mount Ida. Wasn’t really close to a winner today bar Elimay which was a heavy enough loss for me £££

Looking forward to Aintree and Punchestown now.

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #9706 on: March 19, 2021, 08:13:06 PM »
Read an article in the "i"  newspaper today (or might have been yesterday), didn't say anything outrageous but I got a slight whiff of they think the Irish are juicing tbh, "scarcely believable performance' was one phrase that caught my suspicious eye, could have been totally innocent of course but phraseology like that used to follow some dodgy cyclists about.

drici

• View Profile
Seo
« Reply #9707 on: April 07, 2021, 11:23:34 AM »

Absolutely gutted for JT but just hope he can continue whatever progress there has been.

Panther Claw had a pretty tough.race last week IMO. Just back the three biggest outsiders e.w.

And again!

This system has now produced 2 winners of the race in 8 runnings.(no race last year.)
2013 - Liberty Counsel at 50/1
2021 - Freewheelin Dylan at 150/1

Cunny Funt

• View Profile
« Reply #9708 on: April 10, 2021, 05:41:23 PM »
Fair play to Rachael Blackmore first female jockey winner of the English grand national.

Had money on the favourite Cloth cap, was 2nd well placed to win only to pull up with two fences to go.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #9709 on: April 10, 2021, 08:02:22 PM »
Ireland fill 11 of first 12 places... unprecedented. Some year for Rachel and Henry. Will never see the likes again.

Rich Ricci

• View Profile
« Reply #9710 on: April 10, 2021, 08:10:28 PM »
Was on Any Second Now, thought it would have had a great chance if it hadn’t been badly hampered by the faller. That’s part and parcel of the big field handicaps though.

Credit to Rachael Blackmore. she’s far and away the best jockey around at the minute. Her tactical awareness is second to none and she has an uncanny ability to avoid trouble in running. She’s ruthless as f**k also.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:26:09 AM by Rich Ricci »

MK

• View Profile
« Reply #9711 on: April 10, 2021, 08:59:09 PM »
Ireland fill 11 of first 12 places... unprecedented. Some year for Rachel and Henry. Will never see the likes again.

Fair play to Kevin  Blake who clearly stated on ITV's morning preview show that an Irish 1234 was a great bet at 50/1, much to the disdain of Matt Chapman who said there's no chance...the Irish trained horses did not disappoint as they filled 11 of the top 12 finishers

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #9712 on: June 14, 2021, 09:56:27 PM »
What's the word on the street, who does Bolger 'allegedly' think is at it?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2021/0614/1228096-ihrb-issue-response-to-jim-bolger-doping-claims/

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9713 on: June 14, 2021, 10:02:06 PM »
The way he talks about “a Lance Armstrong figure” means it could only be one main stable or am
 I reading it wrong??

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #9714 on: June 14, 2021, 10:57:56 PM »
Has this come out of the blue, don't see much online gossip? It's a wonder Superboc Ewan hasn't has his say on twitter

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #9715 on: June 14, 2021, 11:09:52 PM »
Have to be AOB then? With the money threw at it, volume and quality of horses they have how could Bolger even tell???

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #9716 on: June 17, 2021, 08:36:00 AM »
Have to be AOB then? With the money threw at it, volume and quality of horses they have how could Bolger even tell???
I wouldn’t be reading the Lance Armstrong reference literally (ie that it’s the biggest name in the sport).
My reading is that he’s talking about something he believes is reasonably widespread. I’d say more among the medium sized trainers (and the lower end of those) where horses crop up to win races having shown nothing previously.
Its harder for jockeys to get away with riding with the handbrake on, as bans for them can be costly. So I would say there are more cases of drugs to make horses go both slower and faster.

AOB has the best, most expensive horses anyway. He’ll do whatever it takes and will push boundaries, but illegal drugs? Very unlikely.