Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

I think Armagh will breeze past Antrim but will yet again shite themselves in the semi which should be Monaghsn, although they will be made to fight against Fermanagh.

Donegal will take Down handy enough. I was really optimistic for a Cavan win against Tyrone when the draw was made but it would be heart ruling head to think that now. Tyrone v Donegal semi, I would say Donegal by a few points there and beat Monaghan in the final.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Itchy on June 21, 2021, 07:23:22 PM
I think Armagh will breeze past Antrim but will yet again shite themselves in the semi which should be Monaghsn, although they will be made to fight against Fermanagh.

Donegal will take Down handy enough. I was really optimistic for a Cavan win against Tyrone when the draw was made but it would be heart ruling head to think that now. Tyrone v Donegal semi, I would say Donegal by a few points there and beat Monaghan in the final.

Why was that, don't Cavan have an awful record against Tyrone at senior level over the last number of years?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

I dunno. Donegal were well placed (according to most) to take out Dublin last year and look what happened. A lot depends on how long Murphy is out for.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 21, 2021, 08:14:40 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 21, 2021, 07:23:22 PM

Why was that, don't Cavan have an awful record against Tyrone at senior level over the last number of years?

Cavan were ulster champions, Graham has worked wonders and Tyrone is in transition. That's why I don't think Tyrone will do much this year but I don't think cavan are going to be the ones to stop them now.

J70

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 21, 2021, 09:53:12 PM
I dunno. Donegal were well placed (according to most) to take out Dublin last year and look what happened. A lot depends on how long Murphy is out for.

No they weren't.

Some (foolishly IMO, as I said at the time) thought we were the best hope to give them a game once Kerry were gone, but few gave us a realistic chance of beating them.

macker15

Don't  know where this Donegal can put up to Dublin.  Kerry and Mayo way ahead of Donegal. Bonner hasn't done much as senior manager. Like all Ulster teams in recent years playing with the handbrake on.

greatpoint

Quote from: macker15 on June 22, 2021, 10:30:17 AM

Don't  know where this Donegal can put up to Dublin.  Kerry and Mayo way ahead of Donegal. Bonner hasn't done much as senior manager. Like all teams in recent years playing with the handbrake on.

Donegal drew with Kerry in Croke Park in the last normal championship didn't they? The 2018 & 2019 Ulster titles surely count for something that Bonner has done, they've won every game in league and championship against Tyrone since 2018 as well.

tonto1888

We will beat Antrim handy enough. Monaghan wil be a different prospect than the last two times we played them. I expect that win over Galway to galvanise them

Main Street

A shocking level of arrogance coming from the Armagh contingent here.

Solo_run

I wish Armagh fans would stop expecting a win over Antrim. We have won two games in Ulster in the past 5/6 years ffs. Antrim haven't lost a game all season and we have been caught short many times. Cavan reached the final last year and are now in Division 4.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Solo_run on June 22, 2021, 05:44:12 PM
I wish Armagh fans would stop expecting a win over Antrim. We have won two games in Ulster in the past 5/6 years ffs. Antrim haven't lost a game all season and we have been caught short many times. Cavan reached the final last year and are now in Division 4.

Would be typical of Armagh to slip up against a team they should be beating comfortably. Antrim haven't lost a game however their form of beating Louth, Sligo and Leitrim by 1 point does not suggest they are in a position to take a division 1 team out so as ever its about whatever Armagh side turns up

Solo_run

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 22, 2021, 05:53:32 PM

Would be typical of Armagh to slip up against a team they should be beating comfortably. Antrim haven't lost a game however their form of beating Louth, Sligo and Leitrim by 1 point does not suggest they are in a position to take a division 1 team out so as ever its about whatever Armagh side turns up

There are a lot of things that do not sit well with me when Armagh fans start to fancy their chances. Our history in Ulster under McGeeney has not been great and we always slip up somewhere. Antrim might not be a division 1 team but they should be approached, respected and played against like they are one. No getting ahead of ourselves thinking it is a win in the bag. I don't like the mindset of us expecting a win because it breeds a horrible arrogance that we haven't backed up in the championship. We definitely have a very good team but its time we started living up to the expectations.

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on June 22, 2021, 05:41:11 PM
A shocking level of arrogance coming from the Armagh contingent here.

Really? Where?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Solo_run on June 22, 2021, 06:12:29 PM

There are a lot of things that do not sit well with me when Armagh fans start to fancy their chances. Our history in Ulster under McGeeney has not been great and we always slip up somewhere. Antrim might not be a division 1 team but they should be approached, respected and played against like they are one. No getting ahead of ourselves thinking it is a win in the bag. I don't like the mindset of us expecting a win because it breeds a horrible arrogance that we haven't backed up in the championship. We definitely have a very good team but its time we started living up to the expectations.

A div1 team against a Div4 team should only be a matter of turning up in GAA football terms, i'd say the handicap betting will be around -8 or -9 points.

Depending on how we approach the game will decide that handicap, we're just happy to get out of Div4, we need to score 3 goals to have a chance, but not let that in.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Solo_run

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2021, 07:51:27 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on June 22, 2021, 06:12:29 PM

A div1 team against a Div4 team should only be a matter of turning up in GAA football terms, i'd say the handicap betting will be around -8 or -9 points.

Depending on how we approach the game will decide that handicap, we're just happy to get out of Div4, we need to score 3 goals to have a chance, but not let that in.

We have been in D1 for one season in a reduced league - although we gave a good account of ourselves against the best teams in Ulster it was the league. It was not that long ago we were yo yo'ing between D2 and 3. I would prefer it if Antrim were treated like any other team we have played against. I am not against having some optimism about beating teams but I think there should be some caution to go with it.