Benny Retires

Started by Any craic, November 24, 2014, 04:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down Follower

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 25, 2014, 10:56:02 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 25, 2014, 09:48:17 AM
I seen Benny go into what seemed like an orbit many days and go so high that you feared the worst when landing, such was the height he was up - he was in the clouds as they say. The leap he had was a joy to behold. But it didn't end there. He had it all and he'll be a huge miss to Down and to the game in general.

It's hard to hold back time and the training regime en vogue now means that careers are short.

Has anyone any good pictures of Benny coming down from the clouds ? Those catches were worth the admission fee alone.

Check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg9AoIFET4E

Thats just class  :)

speculative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUFJroEo4BM

Probably the most under-rated goal ever scored in an Ulster Final, against one of the all time great defences; leaves Conor Gormley for dead, a fantastic dummy and walloped it past McConnell. Down's loss is Mayobridge's gain me thinks

5 Sams

Quote from: speculative on November 25, 2014, 04:13:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUFJroEo4BM

Probably the most under-rated goal ever scored in an Ulster Final, against one of the all time great defences; leaves Conor Gormley for dead, a fantastic dummy and walloped it past McConnell. Down's loss is Mayobridge's gain me thinks

2003 Ulster Final...the one that got away :-\ I would love to see that game again. So much happened in it. Gregory getting sent off for nothing, Canavan diving (whats new), Dan torturing the Tyrone defence, Benny's goal, Paddy O'Rourke getting all excited on the sideline in his ski pants!!!
The Aristocrat Years

Highlander3

Great footballer, such a pity he never got a senior AI medal, maybe the best fielder for his size I have ever seen, I think that was proven in the compromise rules games were he consistentally outfielder the Australians

muppet

Quote from: Highlander3 on November 25, 2014, 08:46:23 PM
Great footballer, such a pity he never got a senior AI medal, maybe the best fielder for his size I have ever seen, I think that was proven in the compromise rules games were he consistentally outfielder the Australians

I'd say the frostbite got him in the end.

Class player and one you really enjoyed watching.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

I seen Benny go into what seemed like an orbit many days and go so high that you feared the worst when landing, such was the height he was up - he was in the clouds as they say. The leap he had was a joy to behold. But it didn't end there. He had it all and he'll be a huge miss to Down and to the game in general.

It's hard to hold back time and the training regime en vogue now means that careers are short.

Has anyone any good pictures of Benny coming down from the clouds ? Those catches were worth the admission fee alone.

Check this out!

More to the point that mayobridge goalie must be the biggest under 16 ever !

5 Sams

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 25, 2014, 09:50:16 PM

Check this out!

More to the point that mayobridge goalie must be the biggest under 16 ever !

I think the keeper is Decky O'Hare. Maybe some of the bridge lads can confirm that. Big lad alright but a brilliant keeper.
The Aristocrat Years

Mid Down Gael

Keeper is Colum lyncheaun

GalwayBayBoy

Benny not a fan of modern football tactics.

QuoteBenny Coulter is not a fan of modern day gaelic football.

The Mayobridge star retired from inter-county football this week after 15 years in the Mourne County jersey and, in a wide-ranging interview in today's The Irish Daily Star, he says the game is more about fitness nowadays than individual skill and flair.

"There are games you got to at club level where two teams are playing defensive systems and it is ridiculous at times," Coulter said.

"I was even reading stuff the other day, colleges games where they were playing two sweepers.

"When we were playing for St Mark's (Warrenpoint) in '96 or '97 you just went out and played football, and the better man won, but, now, even at minor level it's down to tactics and crap like that.

"There is too much time spent in the gym and crap like that, or in front of tvs watching stuff.

"Maybe the likes of 'Skinner' (Eoin) Bradley he'd be a player I'd pay in to watch because he is that unpredictable.

"He is the type of fella that just plays off the cuff and does his own thing.

"With a lot of county footballers it's more to do with how fit you are, stuff like that – it sickens me too at times."

yellowcard

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 26, 2014, 03:40:47 PM
Benny not a fan of modern football tactics.

QuoteBenny Coulter is not a fan of modern day gaelic football.

The Mayobridge star retired from inter-county football this week after 15 years in the Mourne County jersey and, in a wide-ranging interview in today's The Irish Daily Star, he says the game is more about fitness nowadays than individual skill and flair.

"There are games you got to at club level where two teams are playing defensive systems and it is ridiculous at times," Coulter said.

"I was even reading stuff the other day, colleges games where they were playing two sweepers.

"When we were playing for St Mark's (Warrenpoint) in '96 or '97 you just went out and played football, and the better man won, but, now, even at minor level it's down to tactics and crap like that.

"There is too much time spent in the gym and crap like that, or in front of tvs watching stuff.

"Maybe the likes of 'Skinner' (Eoin) Bradley he'd be a player I'd pay in to watch because he is that unpredictable.

"He is the type of fella that just plays off the cuff and does his own thing.

"With a lot of county footballers it's more to do with how fit you are, stuff like that – it sickens me too at times."

Nothing new in that, its not exactly a recent phenomenon although it seems to be ramped up every year and Donegal have set the bar in taking it to new levels. Coulter himself has struggled with fitness and injuries for a good few years now and it probably frustrated him to see himself shunted out by inferior football players. However the way intercounty football is going players will soon have a playing lifespan between 20-28 and after that bodies will start breaking down and players will get fed up of the demands being placed on them.

T O Hare

The worrying thing for a Down perspective is that it will probably not be the only retirement for us this season. The demands of inter county football don't lend themselves to over 30s anymore. I honestly think we will struggle in the league and won't beat Derry in the championship. Jim has a tough job on his hands as I really can't see where he is going to get the players from.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: T O Hare on November 26, 2014, 07:15:44 PM
The worrying thing for a Down perspective is that it will probably not be the only retirement for us this season. The demands of inter county football don't lend themselves to over 30s anymore. I honestly think we will struggle in the league and won't beat Derry in the championship. Jim has a tough job on his hands as I really can't see where he is going to get the players from.

100 % right lad. I wouldn't be convinced with what's happening thus far in terms of personell selected either. A deal should have been struck to allow Benny some leeway and have his experience about the place! Downs defence will be no better this year than it has been & we are not blessed with loads of midfielders. This won't be an easy year for down football.

Mourne Rover

Lads, it's a little early to be writing off Down's season. There are going to be a few debuts, plus a couple of familiar faces returning, and they will all need time to find their feet. However, that's what the league is for. Benny is a major loss, but it would not be a total surprise if, depending on his fitness, he was asked about a return around Easter. Even if he is not available, we have an opportunity to regroup.  People looked at our championship defeats by Fermanagh and Wicklow in 2009 and said James had very limited prospects as a new manager. He came in with a positive attitude, got the best out of his squad and the results began to follow. Jim McCorry has been an outstanding club coach for over a decade and there is nothing to prevent him making an impact at county level.

omaghjoe

Hmm been  watching old clips there of Benny and I know I have said it already but he really was a great player. He played the game it should be played with honesty, grit and confidence a great example to young fellas

T O Hare

It's not just Benny, the likes of Liam Doyle , big Dan, ambrose and Dan mccarten are not part of the new panel. Although they are not certain starters they have been around the set up for years and the experience they have  is immeasurable. I would not be betting on Clarke playing in 2015 either.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"