Irish News Critised for Coverage of NI Soccer

Started by phpearse, April 03, 2007, 10:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof98

Quote from: illdecide on April 03, 2007, 11:19:03 AM
Quote from: full back on April 03, 2007, 11:05:22 AM
Sorry illdecide, was taking you as a stereotypical Lurganite
But, what you are saying is IF you ran into fat boy Nolan & he bought you Guinness all night he would have a chance

Wonder can we crash the pr1cks site?

Don't knock it to you try it. :D. As for the Lurganite (buckfast brigade) don't tar everyone with the same brush although i know where your coming from.

Thats actually a good idea, we should get onto his site and take the middle him. if everyone on the board posted on the BBC site for nolan that would keep them busy for a while ;)

He offered you his middle and you turned him down!! 2nd thoughts maybe ;D ;D 8) ;) ;)
I'll go back if Marsdens back

illdecide

Quote from: Spiritof98 on April 03, 2007, 11:27:33 AM
Quote from: illdecide on April 03, 2007, 11:19:03 AM
Quote from: full back on April 03, 2007, 11:05:22 AM
Sorry illdecide, was taking you as a stereotypical Lurganite
But, what you are saying is IF you ran into fat boy Nolan & he bought you Guinness all night he would have a chance

Wonder can we crash the pr1cks site?

Don't knock it to you try it. :D. As for the Lurganite (buckfast brigade) don't tar everyone with the same brush although i know where your coming from.

Thats actually a good idea, we should get onto his site and take the middle him. if everyone on the board posted on the BBC site for nolan that would keep them busy for a while ;)

He offered you his middle and you turned him down!! 2nd thoughts maybe ;D ;D 8) ;) ;)

:D :D :D. I see you changed your loggo Spirit, whats that about?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Donagh

I sent a text to his show the same morning (before Curran was on) saying something to the effect of there being two international soccer teams supported in the north. They rang back within seconds looking me on the show though it was obvious from the questions the researcher was asking that they were trying to goad me into running down the north's win. I declined their request to go on the air but not before I got to inform him that far from being "the biggest show in the country" they are running a poor second to D'Arcy on TodayFM.

illdecide

Quote from: Donagh on April 03, 2007, 11:37:36 AM
I sent a text to his show the same morning (before Curran was on) saying something to the effect of there being two international soccer teams supported in the north. They rang back within seconds looking me on the show though it was obvious from the questions the researcher was asking that they were trying to goad me into running down the north's win. I declined their request to go on the air but not before I got to inform him that far from being "the biggest show in the country" they are running a poor second to D'Arcy on TodayFM.

Same here chief, i just e-mailed them there telling them to read todays Irish News and they e-mailed back in minutes looking my number. them F*****s get you on there they cut you to ribbons. I declined, havent the bottle for that.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Sure what about UTV don't even provide a text results service for GAA......!!!!  >:(
Tbc....

nrico2006

QuoteI didn't know this had happened but again gives further proof to the attitudes at the BBC for the largest spectator sport in the island. Paddy Heaney makes a very valid point that why doesn't the BBC make representations to the New Letter who refuse to carry any Gaelic Games coverage and to the Telegraph who give scant regard to GAA. The IN does a very good job in covering a large spectrum of sports, but it's sports coverage is unasshamedly focused on GAA. It's a pity that the other papers, and in particular the News Letter, wouldn't at least attempt to acknowledge Gaelic Sports.

Very good point on News Letter.  And as DubNut said, decent papers dont carry sport headlines on the front page, unless you maybe win the world cup.  As for the actual northern ireland thing, lets put this in perspective.  The Republic also won last week, and the irish news didnt have anything on the front with regards to them, why - because its only a win in a qualifier.  Whahhh wheee, Northern Ireland beat the might of Sweden in a qualifying group match (Ireland beat them about 3-0 last year) and didnt carry any front page headlines.  Ireland are used to winning matches and its put in perspective by being put to the back page where it should be, and just because Northern Ireland win a few should this change.  As mentioned, the irish news gives good coverage on soccer, gaa and any other major stories in the general sport world.  I didnt see the Newsletter carrying a front page headline of 'Republic defeat Slovakia', and there was no crying about that.  f**king sickening thats what it is!  Nearly as annoying as (on completely irrelevant subject) the british press and their slabbering about ireland having 3 players in the cricket team not born here, yet they seem to omit the fact that pieterson is south african, dalrymple is scottish, andrew strauss isnt english and then their opening batsman is f**king Irish!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

drumanee

just read on the derry thread that the coleraine football team were given a civic reception for reaching the all ireland final and were met with loyalists shouting abuse and only one member of the council bothered to turn up,just wonder will this feature on that fat ba*ta*d nolan show

ExiledGael

Mayor condemns team picketing

Loyalists who picketed a civic reception for a Gaelic Athletics Association team have been condemned.
Flag waving protesters blocked the front doors of Coleraine Borough Council offices on Monday night.
The event was held to honour the Owen Roe club who made it through to the final of the All-Ireland Intermediate Club Championship.
The Ulster Unionist mayor of the town, William King, said such actions should be left in the past.
"We were hosting a civic reception for Owen Roe on their tremendous success and we're talking about sport here," he said.
"I think for 15 protesters to turn up and stand in front of the main door of the council building and to have to bring the young team in through a side exit was certainly very, very disappointing."

The fat **** probably will bring this up on his show, it would be an ideal way to worm out of their sectarian position!
The BBC attitude to Gaelic games is a f**king disgrace and has been for years, but to stoop to criticising independant newspapers for their content is a new low, both laughable and disgusting!!!

ziggysego

The way I see it is, let whoever wants to huff and puff all they like. Why should I let if affect my way of going about things. In an ideal world, sure it would be different, but the North is far from being an ideal world.
Testing Accessibility

winsamsoon

One thing that all you guys have overlooked is the fact that The Nolan show will end up winning. Why? because it will get more media attention and ultimately anyone of us who can find a radio tommorrow will be chomping at the bit to hear what is said. I'll decide if you and big stevie aka vaselino Nolan want to get it on then i am sure the Irish news would have a page just waiting for this story. I never listened to the show either but you can hardly blame the fat one unless it was actually him who brought the point up. It is the source whom we need to seek out.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: ExiledGael on April 03, 2007, 05:48:01 PM

Loyalists who picketed a civic reception for a Gaelic Athletics Association team have been condemned.
Flag waving protesters blocked the front doors of Coleraine Borough Council offices on Monday night.
The event was held to honour the Owen Roe club who made it through to the final of the All-Ireland Intermediate Club Championship.
The Ulster Unionist mayor of the town, William King, said such actions should be left in the past.
"We were hosting a civic reception for Owen Roe on their tremendous success and we're talking about sport here," he said.
"I think for 15 protesters to turn up and stand in front of the main door of the council building and to have to bring the young team in through a side exit was certainly very, very disappointing."

I read this report yesterday, absolute disgrace, how many local politicans turned up????
Anyone on the board at this event - with first hand info???
Tbc....

Uladh

doodaa

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 04, 2007, 10:07:40 AM
Quote from: ExiledGael on April 03, 2007, 05:48:01 PM

I read this report yesterday, absolute disgrace, how many local politicans turned up????
Anyone on the board at this event - with first hand info???

2 local politicians, thats coming from one of the players at it, i never made it down from belfast.
Food was supposed to be good though.... ;D

winsamsoon

Lads i see it has worked already. Popularity has soared in the las 2 days and big stevie vaselino Nolan s now got himself back on tv tonight at 10:40, so we can all text in or if you are really outragious phone and get across you point of view.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

illdecide

Quote from: winsamsoon on April 04, 2007, 02:19:51 PM
Lads i see it has worked already. Popularity has soared in the las 2 days and big stevie vaselino Nolan s now got himself back on tv tonight at 10:40, so we can all text in or if you are really outragious phone and get across you point of view.

Winsamsoon you are either a barrister or fat hole himself (Nolan) in disguise. ;D