Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

imtommygunn

Quoteanonymous forum with about 20 active members

You do realise you're an active member on that anonymous forum with about twenty active members ;D

trueblue1234

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 27, 2020, 08:40:05 AM

You do realise you're an active member on that anonymous forum with about twenty active members ;D

To be fair if you include his previous incarnations n the board he could prob double that figure.   
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Chief

Quote from: Seaney on November 27, 2020, 08:14:07 AM
Looking good for the Oxford Vaccine - Milhouse and frankie still queuing with the sleeves rolled up?  Anyone who thinks that a vaccine that normally takes 5 to 10 years to produce safely can be produced in 10 months with all the same safety standards is deluded, but the narrative that they are out to save humanity on a anonymous forum with about 20 active members won't stop them from calling cautious folk cowards and trying to berate them.  I wonder would they all be advocating their elderly parents be first in the queue, because after all the believers here are way at the back of the queue!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/26/scrutiny-grows-over-oxford-universityastrazeneca-vaccine

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55086927

Yeah I'll get it as soon as it is possible to do so, even if I have to pay. And yes I will be encouraging loved ones to do likewise.

Seaney - you deserve to have your opinions berated.

Just because you're entitled to have an opinion doesn't mean others are obliged to respect it.

The difference between your opinions and the findings of these vaccination trials  is that yours are based on conversations with your mates and google searches.

Theirs are based on tens of thousands of trials, by multiple different companies, in multiple different ways, across multiple demographics, across multiple countries, assessed by hundreds of qualified professionals, then published for review and criticism by peers. Even after all that do they still have to  go through national approval forums.

If I have to take medical advice from anyone it'll be the latter group.

APM

Looking good for the Oxford Vaccine - Milhouse and frankie still queuing with the sleeves rolled up?  Anyone who thinks that a vaccine that normally takes 5 to 10 years to produce safely can be produced in 10 months with all the same safety standards is deluded, but the narrative that they are out to save humanity on a anonymous forum with about 20 active members won't stop them from calling cautious folk cowards and trying to berate them.  I wonder would they all be advocating their elderly parents be first in the queue, because after all the believers here are way at the back of the queue!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/26/scrutiny-grows-over-oxford-universityastrazeneca-vaccine

WTF are you talking about?

Seaney

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 27, 2020, 08:40:05 AM

Yeah - but I don't pretend it matters!

Seaney

Quote from: Chief on November 27, 2020, 09:03:18 AM

Yeah I'll get it as soon as it is possible to do so, even if I have to pay. And yes I will be encouraging loved ones to do likewise.

Seaney - you deserve to have your opinions berated.

Just because you're entitled to have an opinion doesn't mean others are obliged to respect it.

The difference between your opinions and the findings of these vaccination trials  is that yours are based on conversations with your mates and google searches.

Theirs are based on tens of thousands of trials, by multiple different companies, in multiple different ways, across multiple demographics, across multiple countries, assessed by hundreds of qualified professionals, then published for review and criticism by peers. Even after all that do they still have to  go through national approval forums.

If I have to take medical advice from anyone it'll be the latter group.

Google searches?  Folk on here spend hours trying to get stats of Google ffs you could prove or disprove anything on google, I posted articles from the BBC and the Guardian.

Seaney

Quote from: APM on November 27, 2020, 09:09:23 AM

These lads purport that they will be first in queue but can't be as there millions ahead of them so best wait a few years for some better statistics on side effects.

Armamike

What's the chances of our local politicians and the Tory government actually showing some organisational skills for once to get the vaccines rolled out efficiently!
That's just, like your opinion man.

JoG2

Quote from: LCohen on November 26, 2020, 10:43:52 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on November 26, 2020, 10:15:44 PM
So the north is being lined up to be the brits guinea pig for the vaccine, you can just hear ole Boris muttering the words "sure test it on the Irish, they are good for nothing else"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55087961

No harm to you but where are you getting the idea that NI is being used as a guinea pig?

I'm no fan of Boris but that Boris quote only exists in your head

Indeed Leonard. This roll out is being driven by the PHA etc in the North

APM

Quote from: Seaney on November 27, 2020, 10:27:44 AM
Quote from: APM on November 27, 2020, 09:09:23 AM

These lads purport that they will be first in queue but can't be as there millions ahead of them so best wait a few years for some better statistics on side effects.

Millions will be ahead of them, assuming they are under 50 years old and in reasonable health.

But if you were 85 years of age, in good health and were sick of living in isolation, you might look at it very differently and see it as a minor risk worth taking. The problem is that it is not just about individual health; it is about public health and as far as I can see, the kind of people that are opposed to vaccinations, do not understand or support public health. Moreover, they just don't care. 

The way I see it, taking the vaccine is a minor risk for the benefit of public health.  There is a big picture: on balance of risk, what is the greater threat to worldwide health systems and the economy - vaccination or uncontrolled spread of Covid 19.  Clearly the latter.

Public health is about protecting health on a mass basis and protecting the systems and services that deliver healthcare.  For vaccines to work effectively with a disease like this, it requires widespread adoption. 

If the world was full of people like you, and there is an increasing number who gets their information from the internet and does not respect expertise, we could still be living with smallpox. 

Jeepers Creepers

The Oxford vaccine has to go for another human trial as it wasn't tested on enough on those in the over 55 age bracket. Am I reading this correctly?

Hereiam

So the north is being lined up to be the brits guinea pig for the vaccine, you can just hear ole Boris muttering the words "sure test it on the Irish, they are good for nothing else"

No harm to you but where are you getting the idea that NI is being used as a guinea pig?

Well the north is usually the last to see any new developments made by Britain be it new infrastructure, health treatments etc, but all of a sudden we are the first being given this new vaccine and you think to yourself why are people in England not getting it first? Surly the British government would but the lives of their own front an foremost.

armaghniac

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on November 27, 2020, 11:58:22 AM
The Oxford vaccine has to go for another human trial as it wasn't tested on enough on those in the over 55 age bracket. Am I reading this correctly?

Strictly speaking, the low dose followed by high dose variant that proved most successful was only tried on a small number of people (because it was an accident ) and not enough older folks. With all these loonies around it is a bit disappointed that these people cannot run their clinical trials properly.

Quote from: Hereiam on November 27, 2020, 12:26:32 PM

Well the north is usually the last to see any new developments made by Britain be it new infrastructure, health treatments etc, but all of a sudden we are the first being given this new vaccine and you think to yourself why are people in England not getting it first? Surly the British government would but the lives of their own front an foremost.

I don't think there is any evidence of the 6 counties getting it first. Each part of the UK has their own plan and they'll get proportionate amounts to distribute. As someone noted though, they really need the Oxford one to come on board to have big volumes and it will likely be held up a bit because they cocked up their clinical trails.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Seaney

Quote from: armaghniac on November 27, 2020, 12:50:35 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on November 27, 2020, 11:58:22 AM

Strictly speaking, the low dose followed by high dose variant that proved most successful was only tried on a small number of people (because it was an accident ) and not enough older folks. With all these loonies around it is a bit disappointed that these people cannot run their clinical trials properly.

I don't think there is any evidence of the 6 counties getting it first. Each part of the UK has their own plan and they'll get proportionate amounts to distribute. As someone noted though, they really need the Oxford one to come on board to have big volumes and it will likely be held up a bit because they cocked up their clinical trails.

FFS this is a new vaccine with unknown long term issues - and you say its disappointing they can't run clinical trials properly!!!

Seaney

Stop you sound like a looney!!