Gas Cooker

Started by Hereiam, September 25, 2014, 10:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Guys maybe some of you could help put my mind at ease.
We have a rangemaster cooker which is in over a year now and it is supplied by a small red cylinder of gas. When the cylinder is nearing empty we get a strong smell of gas in the kitchen.
I have read that it may be something to do with a valve that needs the pressure of the gas to keep it sealed and when the gas gets low it leaks.
Can anyone confirm this or is it more serious problem.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hereiam on September 25, 2014, 10:19:50 PM
Guys maybe some of you could help put my mind at ease.
We have a rangemaster cooker which is in over a year now and it is supplied by a small red cylinder of gas. When the cylinder is nearing empty we get a strong smell of gas in the kitchen.
I have read that it may be something to do with a valve that needs the pressure of the gas to keep it sealed and when the gas gets low it leaks.
Can anyone confirm this or is it more serious problem.
Is the smell when the gas is on at the cooker or when it's off. Ours does the same when the gas is turned on and the tank is near empty. If in any doubt get a gasman in.

Hereiam

It is Tony. When you change the cylinder the smell disappears.

StGallsGAA

Whilst I'd doubt if any modern cooker would leak gas when the pressure is low, I wouldn't be taking the advice of keyboard warriors where gas is concerned! There's plenty of Corgi/Gas Safe engineers out there.  Pick up the phone man!  I'm sure plenty will be happy to advise you without even charging a call out.

Hereiam

I ran the company that installed it and they said that it does this when ever the gas gets low.

StGallsGAA

They said it leaks when the gas gets low?? Or they said you might get a gas smell when then gas gets low?   

Hereiam

They said you would get a gas smell and its nothing to worry about.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hereiam on September 25, 2014, 10:42:45 PM
They said you would get a gas smell and its nothing to worry about.
We have a Rangemaster cooker too and it does the same near the bottle of the cylinder.

Hereiam

Had friend who is a gas installer look at the cooker yesterday and sure enough there was a leak at the fitting between the cooker and the gas pipe. I will be onto the phone tomorrow morning to let rip and the company that done the initial cinnection. For them to tell me it was common to smell gas and not to worry is crazy.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on September 28, 2014, 12:23:00 PM
And I think I just heard a large explosion coming from the direction of Tony Baloney's house.
;D

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on September 28, 2014, 12:23:00 PM
And I think I just heard a large explosion coming from the direction of Tony Baloney's house.

You're great gas, Hardstation.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B