Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann in row over Derry Bid to hold Fleadh

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, January 06, 2012, 05:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 22, 2012, 10:09:40 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 22, 2012, 09:10:48 PM
Ulster Council decided not to back Derry's bid.
Why?

Haven't heard why but the original protests were centred around it being linked to he UK city of culture bid. Not absolutely sure on this but did hear that those against it within  County Derry were from the South Derry area

Maguire01

Why?
I've heard security risk mentioned. Not sure if that's genuine or a cover for another reason.

sheamy

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 22, 2012, 10:54:10 PM
Why?
I've heard security risk mentioned. Not sure if that's genuine or a cover for another reason.

The latter...They object to the UK bit and don't have the balls to say it. They're cultural nazis at officer level in Ulster. Rank and file members wholly supportive of the bid.

Ulick

Quote from: sheamy on January 23, 2012, 08:19:27 AM
The latter...They object to the UK bit and don't have the balls to say it. They're cultural nazis at officer level in Ulster. Rank and file members wholly supportive of the bid.

You have evidence for this? Most Comhaltas members I know don't support the Derry bid.

sheamy

Quote from: Ulick on January 23, 2012, 10:23:31 AM

You have evidence for this? Most Comhaltas members I know don't support the Derry bid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-16676169

The chairman of the Derry County Board, Brendan Molloy says he's shocked by the decision.

He confirmed no members of the local branches attended the meeting, "I got a text on my phone to say sorry the bid didn't go through this time.

"A statement was emailed to me from a Comhaltas employee. It did not come from a member of the Ulster Council.

"Up until a few days ago we were going to go to that meeting and had requested could the branch come to put the bid forward.

"We were told that was not necessary.

"I am shocked, totally and utterly shocked."

theskull1

There are so many layers to this part of the world, people can find it difficult to have an opinion thats truly their own and are continually trying to sense what the right opinion to have is based on the circles they mix in.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

sheamy

Millions and millions of pounds at stake here Ulick. These people need put down their Shillelaghs and step into the real world.

Doogie Browser

Labhrás Ó Murchú was interviewed on Radio Foyle this morning and he himself questioned the legitimacy of the weekend vote and hinted that this could yet be overturned.  They have until Weds to appeal this.

screenexile

They're talking of a security risk from the dissidents . . . I can't see how it would do them any good bombing THE festival of Irishness??!!

My only gripe would be Derry is not a great place to have it. It would be great for the economy but I just don't see it happening to be fair.

Ulick

Brendan Molloy may be shocked but he doesn't speak for all Comhaltas members or even any Comhaltas members outside his branch. Personally I was ambivalent about the bid and with some good planning it might work, but the way the Derry Board and Martina Anderson in particular have gone about this has me opposed to it now. The arrogance of both parties has been astounding e.g. the talk of "ratification procedures" as though it was a given their bid would be accepted regardless of what came from Sligo and Ennis - two towns that have successfully hosted in the past. At the end of the day the Fleadh is about showcasing the best music and dance, not bringing in money for the host town (not city).

screenexile

I would be inclined to agree with you Ulick. I don't think Derry is the place for it. Both Dungiven and Ballinascreen have held Ulster Fleadh's in recent years and the town atmosphere definitely makes it. I know both are relatively small towns and have an issue about accomodation to host such an event but both would be ideal venues for the atmosphere and the actual hosting of the festival.

Derry has really come from nowhere and it seems a bit of a rush job to me just because of this 'City of Culture' nonsense. However I think it goes against the ethos of the Fleadh to have it in the City.

Orior

Q. How do you know that you are on an airplane full of Derry people?

A. When the engines stop you can still hear the whinning.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians