Road

Started by cockahoop, October 07, 2014, 10:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockahoop

Did anyone watch last nights documentary on the Dunlops?I am not really a fan of motorsport but it was a fantastic program which was very difficult to watch at times.

Denn Forever

I hope it's repeated as didn't see it (is BBC iplayer possible to watch down here?).
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

T Fearon

Watched it.Am I the only one amazed that members of the same family risk their lives so needlessly while millions others suffering from fatal illnesses have no choice in the matter,and the same family are glorified in a tv doc voiced over by a Hollywood star?

GJL

It was a great show. I am a motorsport fan but to be honest I think the motorbike road racing is nuts. Robert's 2 sons deserve a lot of respect. 2 very brave lads.

NAG1

Quote from: cockahoop on October 07, 2014, 10:29:59 AM
Did anyone watch last nights documentary on the Dunlops?I am not really a fan of motorsport but it was a fantastic program which was very difficult to watch at times.

Watched it and cant help having the feeling of why?

why these young men risk their lives to pursue something so fleeting, do they really value their lives so lightly that they would throw it away on a motor bike race?

Yes I can get the rush element of it and the addictive nature of the personalities that have built up around it but still, life is for living not throwing away so cheaply.

cockahoop

Bikers are a very rare breed,i work with one.I suppose saying that racing to them is what gaa is to me but it goes way beyond that but its very hard not to have massive respect for them.

screenexile

Quote from: cockahoop on October 07, 2014, 11:32:52 AM
Bikers are a very rare breed,i work with one.I suppose saying that racing to them is what gaa is to me but it goes way beyond that but its very hard not to have massive respect for them. Think they have a screw loose somewhere...

It's clean mental and should be outlawed! The amount of serious injuries and deaths from this sport has to be the highest around and surely in this day and age of health and safety it's only so long that Road Racing can continue!!

GerryFromDerry

Bikers are a very rare breed,i work with one.I suppose saying that racing to them is what gaa is to me but it goes way beyond that but its very hard not to have massive respect for them.

Does he have young children? if so I personally think that he is being very selfish. Every time he gets on his bike to race, he is risking leaving his children with no father. I find that very hard to comprehend.
Up the Shamrocks!

screenexile

Quote from: GerryFromDerry on October 07, 2014, 12:19:59 PM

Does he have young children? if so I personally think that he is being very selfish. Every time he gets on his bike to race, he is risking leaving his children with no father. I find that very hard to comprehend.

Good to see a couple of Derry men agree on something.

Mikhailov

Yea, watched the show or at least the majority of it. Have zero interest in motorsport but my wife told me it was on and with nothing else on I watched it. I actually remember playing a league game when word came through as it was ending that Joey had died and people were shocked and they were all GAA men and I couldn't believe the amount of men who had motor racing knowledge. I had a former manager who is a big GAA personality who goes to all the top bike races and swears by them as the best events about.. However, the programme was a great watch and hard to fathom the speed these guys get up to and the thrill they get out of it. Half of me thinks they are very selfish and the other half thinks they are to be admired as it is a crazy sport raced at crazy speeds...

Tony Baloney

Like most above I wouldn't do it in a million years and don't see the attraction of potentially ending up going headfirst into a dry stone wall. BUT, the film last night (which was fantastic) showed that for these people there must be some deep-seated addiction to want to keep wanting to put yourself in the way of danger; especially Robert who just couldn't stay off the bikes no matter what the odds and his body were telling him.

cockahoop

Quote from: GerryFromDerry on October 07, 2014, 12:19:59 PM

he doesnt gerry but i dont know if it would change things if he was.

Quote from: Mikhailov on October 07, 2014, 12:37:16 PM

Yea, watched the show or at least the majority of it. Have zero interest in motorsport but my wife told me it was on and with nothing else on I watched it. I actually remember playing a league game when word came through as it was ending that Joey had died and people were shocked and they were all GAA men and I couldn't believe the amount of men who had motor racing knowledge. I had a former manager who is a big GAA personality who goes to all the top bike races and swears by them as the best events about.. However, the programme was a great watch and hard to fathom the speed these guys get up to and the thrill they get out of it. Half of me thinks they are very selfish and the other half thinks they are to be admired as it is a crazy sport raced at crazy speeds...

i remeber being at derry v antrim in casement park and when they annouced it over the pa system the shock and complete silence was nothing i ever experiened at a GAA match before,just shows you the repect the man had even though like most people outside the sport believes it to be crazy.

JimStynes

Great show! Made by a fella Dairmuid Lavery from lurgan too!

T Fearon

Last night's programme glamourised a highly dangerous sport, and romanticised death.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: T Fearon on October 07, 2014, 09:27:40 PM
Last night's programme glamourised a highly dangerous sport, and romanticised death.
Bullshit. I would suspect you didn't even watch it. I don't think anyone at home would think the sight or Robert Dunlop being slammed into the tarmac from 150mph in the slightest bit romantic.