Michaela McAreavy Murder Trial-Will Justice be Done?

Started by Applesisapples, May 25, 2012, 09:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 14, 2012, 01:54:35 PM
Yep, it's obvious from the tidbits we are getting that the main line of defence is to plant a seed in the jury's collective mind that it may have been a domestic argument or situation that got out of hand.

Very, very hard to listen to, or read about, even as an unconnected observer, but I cannot imagine how his family is holding themselves back from attacking the lawyers. Having said that, I suppose that's what 'justice' is all about, giving them the opportunity to present an alternative account of the murder.

I think it is telling though, that instead of alibis, dna, CCTV or whatever of the accused themselves, the approach is to cast slights on the marraige or on John himself.

Haven't been following it as much recently, but is there no CCTV at the hotel?  Has there been no DNA evidence obtained from the deceased (fingernails etc?) - was it all washed off when she was put in the bath?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Joxer

If there is CCTV in the bars, surely there is CCTV in the hallways hence seeing who came in and out of them room etc?

brokencrossbar1

In terms of DNA etc. by putting the body in the bath this might have compromised a lot of it.  Also the reality is that the levels of police investigation seem to be very shambolic to say the least so the porbitive value of any forensic evidence would be very low.  It has to be recognised that you are dealing with a 2nd or 3rd world level administration here and a police force who wouldn't have had the knowledge or experience on dealing with an event like this. 

Agent Orange

Quote from: Joxer on June 14, 2012, 02:12:27 PM
If there is CCTV in the bars, surely there is CCTV in the hallways hence seeing who came in and out of them room etc?

The trial has adjourned for the day but will continue on Friday, when it is expected the jury will be shown CCTV footage which was recorded at the Legends Hotel on the day of the murder and footage from the day before.

RogerMilla

i wonder are these lads actually guilty ?

was there any evidence of theft by hotel staff before this incident?
we have all been in good hotels and left cash lying about which the staff never touched.
were the other quests all interrogated ? i believe there were germans who were not questioned as they didnt speak english , i find it hard to believe they didnt speak english or that the cops could not have found a translator.
i read that there is a guest still unaccounted for who left the hotel that night , is this true ?

its all an utter mess , criminals actually being helped with their crimes due to incompetance and willfull hinderance by hotel staff , cops , lawyers etc. etc. 

J OGorman

Quote from: Joxer on June 14, 2012, 02:12:27 PM

Joxer, hopefully there is sir. We had our room broken into last year during the night while we were sleeping (Hilton hotel, decent spot), reck of stuff taken. The speed @ which the hotel staff closed ranks was unreal. CCTV footage disappeared (there was a camera pointed down our hallway outside the lift). The police were next to useless, in fact they worse than useless (happened in England)

Hopefully to buck they all get through this unreal ordeal as best as they can..god love them

tyroneboi

The two men acquitted of Michaela's murder - breaking news on BBC news now.

Shamrock Shore

Doesn't surprise me. What a Clusterfuck of a trial.

AZOffaly

Absolutely. In all fairness, based on the reports from the trial, if 'reasonable doubt' is a factor in Mauritian law then there was so many c**k ups by the police that you couldn't convict.

southdown

God help the Hartes/McAreaveys. 

It has been said on here before that the police were shoddy in a lot of ways following the incident, how so?

Hound

Quote from: southdown on July 12, 2012, 04:09:12 PM

It has been said on here before that the police were shoddy in a lot of ways following the incident, how so?
Well for one thing they didn't collect a shred of evidence against the 2 lads, other than beating an admission out of one of them. And they gave immunity from prosecution to their key witness, who it seems is just as likely to have been the guilty party.

Sickening. According to reports, there were huge scenes of jubilation at the end with the defence lawyers carried out shoulder high by the crowd.

southdown

Quote from: Hound on July 12, 2012, 04:18:00 PM
Quote from: southdown on July 12, 2012, 04:09:12 PM

Well for one thing they didn't collect a shred of evidence against the 2 lads, other than beating an admission out of one of them. And they gave immunity from prosecution to their key witness, who it seems is just as likely to have been the guilty party.

Sickening. According to reports, there were huge scenes of jubilation at the end with the defence lawyers carried out shoulder high by the crowd.

What eveidence was missed?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 29, 2012, 12:25:37 PM
Quote from: Sandino on May 29, 2012, 12:12:54 PM
I have been following this case across a range of media outlets. Each outlet seems to be reporting slightly different pieces of information. I hate to say this but I fear the trial may be turned into a good local against a decadent westerner type of case by the defence lawyers. Also hearing the different pieces of information it is beginning to look like both the accused will be found not guilty. While this may be very painful for Michaela's family and friends if the accused are innocent they must not be sacrificed to protect the local tourist industry. I think we will see much more evidence which may surprise us all; this trial could have many turns yet. Let justice be done whatever way this turns out.

What the families are suffering after all they have come through is unimaginable.

I am not sure they are really chasing the decadent westerner type as much as the bumbling KeyStone cops. Unless there is further evidence as you say they have done enough already to get acquittals.  From reports it seems they have shown:

1.  Scene not preserved and possibly tampered with by Police (moving biscuits around)
2.  Cop refusing to deny beating suspect and the judges comments
3.  Witness changing statements (after charges dropped...)
4.  Police not exercising all leads (from the spurious: laptop and book, to the critical: not interviewing German couple because of language barrier)
5.  No positive DNA results.
6.  Inexperience Police photographer
7.  Accused withdrawing confession
8.  Gaps in police reporting (2 hours missing...) of events

To be honest they would seem to have already done enough.  I think it's inevitable that this will get thrown out.

It's a shame for the families to have to go through with this charade.  It will shed little light on what actually happened.

/Jim.

I wrote this 6 weeks ago and sadly it was true.  I feel sorry for the families who put up with 2 months of this show and know no more about the sad death of their loved one.   What really galls is that with so many holes in the prosecution case it is hard to understand the mudslinging antics of the defence..

A shame for all involved.

/Jim.