Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Canelo dominates both Charlos and Andrade no problem, especially as he calls the shots and any fight with any of them would almost certainly be at 168. Beterbiev might ask questions because of the size, but we all thought that about Kovalev before Kovalev couldn't do anything against him and then got KOed silly.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on May 09, 2021, 04:56:35 PM
Canelo dominates both Charlos and Andrade no problem, especially as he calls the shots and any fight with any of them would almost certainly be at 168. Beterbiev might ask questions because of the size, but we all thought that about Kovalev before Kovalev couldn't do anything against him and then got KOed silly.

You're right about the weight, he won't go down to 160 or entertain a catchweight, they would have to come up.  Betterbiev looks good but hasn't thought that many top level fighters and is no spring chicken, yet he doesn't appear to be on the slide in the way that Kovalev was hence why Canelo cherry picked as the weakest champion at 175.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Kovalev was the weakest champion and was cherry picked? Nonsense. An utter fabrication. His age isn't Canelo's fault. Beterbiev had fought nobody. Lots of people, you included, were crying here about how Kovalev was robbed against Ward.

Criticise Canelo for the steroids, sure, but he fights regularly and he fights everyone.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on May 10, 2021, 07:31:42 AM
Kovalev was the weakest champion and was cherry picked? Nonsense. An utter fabrication. His age isn't Canelo's fault. Beterbiev had fought nobody. Lots of people, you included, were crying here about how Kovalev was robbed against Ward.

Criticise Canelo for the steroids, sure, but he fights regularly and he fights everyone.

Kovalev was regarded as being behind both Beterbiev and Bivol at the time of the Canelo fight, with those two holding the other belts.  Kovalev had definitely been on the slide with losses to Alvarez and struggling against Yarde in the fights previous to Canelo.  As for Kovalez being robbed against Ward, the stoppage in the second fight was a disgrace.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 09, 2021, 04:51:45 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 09, 2021, 04:49:24 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 09, 2021, 04:42:03 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 09, 2021, 03:32:00 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 09, 2021, 02:22:35 PM
He's just a horrible person and his wee lad is a cheeky wee f**ker too. Canelo is something else all the same. Can't see who can beat him atm. Although I did lose a bit of respect for not fighting GGG in his prime.

Aye, he lost the first GGG fight for definite though. He is brilliant but has picked his opponents well too, would love to see him fight a Charlo, Andrade or Betterbiev. Those 3 would ask questions of him.

He possibly lost both fights against GGG. He picked Mayweather and got totally schooled. I don't believe he would have beaten Mayweather at 152 catchweight at any time of his career either. Mayweather is too slick.  I don't know enough about the 3 you've mentioned apart from Charlo. I don't think he stands a chance against him either.

GGG won both those fights in imo. Re Mayweather, incredible boxer, one of the best, but for the likes of Hatton, Canelo etc to have stood a chance, they needed a ref to allow them to box on the inside, not break them apart continuously

You're in trouble if you rely on the ref though. Canelo was just too young/inexperienced against Mayweather.

The genius of Floyd, he knew exactly what Canelo would become.....got him on the CV early.

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 10, 2021, 09:25:37 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 10, 2021, 07:31:42 AM

Kovalev was regarded as being behind both Beterbiev and Bivol at the time of the Canelo fight, with those two holding the other belts.  Kovalev had definitely been on the slide with losses to Alvarez and struggling against Yarde in the fights previous to Canelo.  As for Kovalez being robbed against Ward, the stoppage in the second fight was a disgrace.

He was in your hole behind the two of them. He completely dominated Alvarez up to the point of getting caught and then completely dominated him in the rematch to run by UD. Beterbiev has fought nobody. Bivol's best win is over Jean Pascal ffs. Who Kovalev best inside the distance twice. Yards had two good rounds out of ten and a bit against him

The Canelo fight was a shock when it was announced as nobody had been thinking about him at 175 at all. There was absolutely no suggestion at all of Kovalev being a soft target or that need been purposefully picked to avoid either of the other two.

JimStynes

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 10, 2021, 09:51:09 AM
He's just a horrible person and his wee lad is a cheeky wee f**ker too. Canelo is something else all the same. Can't see who can beat him atm. Although I did lose a bit of respect for not fighting GGG in his prime.

Aye, he lost the first GGG fight for definite though. He is brilliant but has picked his opponents well too, would love to see him fight a Charlo, Andrade or Betterbiev. Those 3 would ask questions of him.

He possibly lost both fights against GGG. He picked Mayweather and got totally schooled. I don't believe he would have beaten Mayweather at 152 catchweight at any time of his career either. Mayweather is too slick.  I don't know enough about the 3 you've mentioned apart from Charlo. I don't think he stands a chance against him either.

GGG won both those fights in imo. Re Mayweather, incredible boxer, one of the best, but for the likes of Hatton, Canelo etc to have stood a chance, they needed a ref to allow them to box on the inside, not break them apart continuously

You're in trouble if you rely on the ref though. Canelo was just too young/inexperienced against Mayweather.

The genius of Floyd, he knew exactly what Canelo would become.....got him on the CV early.

Canelo had already fought 40 odd times and beaten some HOF fighters by the time he got to Mayweather, so he wasn't some young fella with no experience at that stage. Mayweather was also in the latter part of his career and fighting above his weight class. And Canelo was the one who picked Mayweather, not the other way around.  Prime Mayweather beats prime Canelo imo, he is just too good a boxer. The biggest stumbling block would be that Canelo is now much bigger and way above the weightclass for a Mayweather fight (possible due to all that contaminated meat he's been eating  ::) )

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: JimStynes on May 10, 2021, 12:12:05 PM

Canelo had already fought 40 odd times and beaten some HOF fighters by the time he got to Mayweather, so he wasn't some young fella with no experience at that stage. Mayweather was also in the latter part of his career and fighting above his weight class. And Canelo was the one who picked Mayweather, not the other way around.  Prime Mayweather beats prime Canelo imo, he is just too good a boxer. The biggest stumbling block would be that Canelo is now much bigger and way above the weightclass for a Mayweather fight (possible due to all that contaminated meat he's been eating  ::) )

Agree totally, but he still was only 22/23 finding his feet at the top level at that stage. He had beaten Shane Mosley so he was no fool, but Mayweather picked that one I think....if he had waited another 2 or 3 years, Canelo was coming into his physical peak and 3 years after that Mayweather finally decided to fight Pacman in that sham....what would have Canelo done then?

JimStynes

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 10, 2021, 12:25:04 PM

Agree totally, but he still was only 22/23 finding his feet at the top level at that stage. He had beaten Shane Mosley so he was no fool, but Mayweather picked that one I think....if he had waited another 2 or 3 years, Canelo was coming into his physical peak and 3 years after that Mayweather finally decided to fight Pacman in that sham....what would have Canelo done then?

Mayweather was 36 or 37 when they fought so he wasn't even in his prime but no one says he was too old to fight Canelo. When he fought Pacquaio he was more or less done and the fight was a final payday for both men i felt. Canelo and Mayweather simply met at opposite ends of their career. But as much of a dickhead Mayweather is, he is one of the greatest boxers of all time and probably would have found a way to win against most boxers. The first part of Mayweather's career is often forgotten about. He fought everyone going and beat everyone easily. And now he's fighting youtubers ffs.

Medic

Canelo cussing in broken English is something else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4OJnyBcFO8
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

nrico2006

Quote from: JimStynes on May 10, 2021, 12:54:20 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 10, 2021, 12:25:04 PM

Mayweather was 36 or 37 when they fought so he wasn't even in his prime but no one says he was too old to fight Canelo. When he fought Pacquaio he was more or less done and the fight was a final payday for both men i felt. Canelo and Mayweather simply met at opposite ends of their career. But as much of a dickhead Mayweather is, he is one of the greatest boxers of all time and probably would have found a way to win against most boxers. The first part of Mayweather's career is often forgotten about. He fought everyone going and beat everyone easily. And now he's fighting youtubers ffs.

Canelo only had 40 odd fights in his life at that stage and was very young, Mayweather knew that experience would beat youth at that stage.

Wildweasel74

Too much of a love in for Mayweather on here. I seriously doubt he beat any of the big 4 from the 1980's.

gallsman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 14, 2021, 11:09:18 PM
Too much of a love in for Mayweather on here. I seriously doubt he beat any of the big 4 from the 1980's.

Well for one, Floyd never went as high as 160, where Hagler fought exclusively. Both Hearns and Leonard became works champions at 175, so your comparison is a bit pointless.

Would be have beaten Duran? Probably.

Wildweasel74

Duran and Beeny Leonard are the greatest light weights ever, I took either over Mayweather. These guys stepped up to Meet Hagler but if Mayweather had been around he wouldn't got in the ring with Hagler, Mayweather did go as heavy as Light Middle.

gallsman

Man who began career at super-featherweight may not have fought all time great career middleweight. What an absolute schmuck.