Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

They've been no contest at all. Cargin are awful for dropping the head and dropping it early against you boys.

I guess I just went with high hopes of cargin putting it up to you boys and seeing a good tight game and never has happened. They have better players than that but never seems to happen for them.

It'll help them having it in the country but just have very disappointed with the last few.

Rasharkin Gael

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on August 23, 2012, 08:34:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2012, 09:44:37 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 20, 2012, 11:33:36 PM
Quote from: aontroim on August 20, 2012, 09:04:17 PM
Cargin v St. Gall's - Sat 8th Sept 6:30pm @ Creggan

Most of the remaining Championship fixtures are now up on the website.

That's the Milltown men fecked. Last time they went to Creggan, they could only rustle up 15 to travel, CJ played in goals and Milltown Row2 was an unused sub.

Makes it interesting, Gall's by 5.

We don't win too many times up the country against Cargin, Cargin beat us in a round robin type championship a few years ago and we hammered them in  the final at Casement. No back door system this year so I'd imagine the lads will be well focused on the draw.

We beat Cargin 5, 4 one year in Rasharkin in the county final. What a crap match, St Johns beat St Enda's in the minor final that year
I was at that match in Rasharkin. Two hours of my life I'll never get back.

Remember that match well. Maybe if they had picked Rasharkin for the venue this time our brand of free flowing, swashbuckling , exciting football that everyone had been so lucky to see this year in Div 1 would have rubbed off on Cargin and Galls!!

Would love to see Cargin come of age and step up to the plate against St Galls but on their performance against us i cant see it happening. Lot of talk of how great mmcann has been but both cargin midfield were outplayed by paul doc in our game but we failed to cope with their half back line pushing up for the kick outs and gathering up all the dirty ball. Tmcann free kicking is superb but he will need to do alot more and carry more threat in open play. Full back line looked very vulnerable when ran. Lot of chat about Galls being an aging team etc but they have class and experience and i cant see anyone getting close.

bannside

Paul Doc now in his prime and hopefully will re-commit to county cause next year. With Sean Mc Veigh hopefully around as well this will help beef us up in some vital areas.

Speaking of the county I cant believe that our management committee hasnt made their position clear re the senior management position. Baker has made it fairly clear that he wants a crack at the Derry job (and thats fair enough - its his own county). But surely he cant ride two horses at the one time.

He has done ok with us, but 09 is a while back now and he is still dining out on that. We beat Donegal that year. Would we have any chance of beating them today? Four years is a long time with any team, and many now feel it is time to freshen things up.

Anyone else on here got an opinion on this? There are plenty I could think of who I feel could take us on to another level, but theres so much apathy about that i think most people couldnt give a toss. Only in Antrim!

Rasharkin Gael

Baker had his freshen up already with Paddy Mcn going and ga , pmcf, and Andy coming in. Can't c it has made a huge difference. Hadcu someone in mind Bannside?

gaaman24

Rasharkingael, from what i hav seen of ur senior team this year they tried to play a style of football that suited them but they didnt seem to have luck on ther side! Put up a fairly good show against Cargin last week. 8 pts instead of 19 pts which was the margin last year shows improvement! 8)

imtommygunn

I'd like to see a change bannside. I think baker has done well and has taken us up a notch with regard to belief etc. I think though that he is tactically a bit limited and we have become very predictable. (used to be terry o'neill back but now it's most of the forward line!).

I think if we got a better tactician in we could step it up a notch again as we do have some decent players these days. Not sure that exists within the county mind you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 26, 2012, 10:18:39 AM
I'd like to see a change bannside. I think baker has done well and has taken us up a notch with regard to belief etc. I think though that he is tactically a bit limited and we have become very predictable. (used to be terry o'neill back but now it's most of the forward line!).

I think if we got a better tactician in we could step it up a notch again as we do have some decent players these days. Not sure that exists within the county mind you.

Decent footballers, but they aren't playing for some reason
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

There are decent players playing too though but it would be good to get some boys back.

bannside

Think we all agree ITG that Baker has added something and in those four years there have been some high points alright. Putting it up to Kerry in Tullamore my personal highlight. But in between there have been many stinkers too.

My own opinion is maybe a bit biased as I had worked with a lot of the currect senior crop, as minors or U-21`s, and I believe that this group were always destined for better days than previous teams. Have they progressed enough. No they havent. There is still another level this group can go to, and they must get the right support and management to take them there.

Yes RG. There are half a dozen names I could think of - but the way our county is going about things they will be picked over. We shouldnt be playing second fiddle to anyone, and it gets me so winded up!

Its time for some leadership, because what we are now doing would not happen in any other county. Are we seriously going to wait and see if Baker gets the Derry job before we make any decisions on what we need. Incredible. Only in Antrim.

Rasharkin Gael

Agree Bannside. Antrim should not be in the situation of our current manager declaring his interest in another job but is prepared to stay with us if he doesn't get it! A bit more leadership from our County officials would help but then after the way the Jerry Wallace situation was handled we shouldnt be surprised.
We have some good players at the moment but consistency seems to be a problem and a lack of direction. All the strength and conditioning training in the world wont make up for poor decision making on the field and tactical naivety on the sideline.
On another note i would just like to thank Kevin Brady for the years of service he put in with Antrim. A great talent, not used enough by Baker, and a dedicated Saffron. He should have many years of club football left in him yet and Antrims loss will be Moneyglass gain as he will be able to concentrate  on them. Cheers Kevin for some great memories.   

viva the mccooey

Quote from: gaaman24 on August 25, 2012, 09:03:28 PM
Rasharkingael, from what i hav seen of ur senior team this year they tried to play a style of football that suited them but they didnt seem to have luck on ther side! Put up a fairly good show against Cargin last week. 8 pts instead of 19 pts which was the margin last year shows improvement! 8)

Catch a grip!! Rasharkin were the worst team i have ever seen in Div 1 football and that is saying alot. Great big donkeys. Keep going that way and i hear div 3 calling!!lol
Hear you couldnt even field a team against the lambs yesterday, any truth in that Rg or you mate gman.

viva the mccooey

Jonnies vs Ahoghill. County final here we come!!

optimus cheese

bannside

If thats true then fair play to him for a decent contribution over the course of four years. No one can fault his passion and ability to get a tean believing in themselves, and overall his tenure can be remembered with some satisfaction.

If Baker gets the Derry then job good luck to him - but now the search begins for Antrim to get the right management team in place that can deliver some more big days with the current crop of players.

Rasharkin Gael

Cant think of any names that just leap out at me Bannside, who do you think would be up for the job?