Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Light

Cynical s the word. St Gall's "experience" showed through when LD had them all square. Niggling fouls on the LD defenders, carrying bal out, were not punished by the ref. As was intended, LD lost 'focus' for 10 minutes during the second half, and that was enough to give St G's the advantage. 'Repetitive' fouling is the amongst the worst aspects of 'modern' football, but it is the failure of refs to enforce existing laws against teams with this 'skill' in their locker, that is the problem. (CJ chased the LD no.6 for 30 yards before his lack of fitness surfaced, and he then pulled a perfect rugby dive, to try and 'clip' the heels of the no.6. He missed. He should have been carded by the ref who was standing beside the incident.). Kevin McG came on to play the pantomime 'villain', and pretend he wanted to fight with someone - simply 'time-wasting' tactics.
I'm no fan of either team, but it was disappointing to see bad refereeing (incompetent as opposed to biaised) spoil a game.
The problem is that this type of refereeing is spoiling the whole game, to the detriment of the entire county. The impact on the County team of these 'bad' club games is evident.
St G's will probably not get so far as Cross this time, and even if they do, Cross will administer the usual 'slapping'.
LD will return, and will hopefully improve their game, another notch, and they will beat St. G's in the C'ship.

manballandall

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2012, 09:27:35 PM
Johnnies beat us in minor football tonight. They were the better team but not by much and we had enough chances to put them to the sword. Rus Fitzsimons gave us the benefit of a few decisions but should have put Kevin Kennedy off the Johnnies line for starting (and I mean starting) a row with a 16 year old. Idiot.

We had all the play in the 2nd half but couldn't get within 2 points. Johnnies goaled in the last minute to seal it. They deserved it though. We made too many silly errors which cost us good chances. Very young Rossa team v a Johnnies side who are nearly all full minor. Encouraging.

Sets up Sunday's game. I have tickets to Croke Park on Sunday and I don't know what to do.
I believe yous will give Johnnies a run for their money alright but I expect the game in croke to be a cracker.

manballandall

Well in that case I would go to Croke and sky plus your game and watch it later. Just make sure no one texts you the results from casement

optimus cheese

First game at Casement is 5pm. You would think with the interest in Tipp v KK they would put the Casement bill back by 30 mins. Choice is either miss end of Tipp v KK of start of Rossa v St Johns.

imtommygunn

Kevin Brady has announced his retirement.

Great servant to Antrim. Always thought baker underused him.

St brigids drew with ahoghill this evening.

bannside

Agree whloeheartedly ITG re Kevin Brady. Should have got a lot more game time than he did - but it is a measure of the man that he put the teams interest before himself.

A class act in every way. Can rightly and deservedly be entered in the column of legends.

gaaman24

Cargin v Rasharkin tomorrow!!!
Any chance of an upset???? ;)

imtommygunn

Quote from: gaaman24 on August 18, 2012, 07:30:59 PM

Nope...

Fully agree bannside. Half forward we were crying out for last 2 years! Best of luck to him and hopefully he plays a few more years for money glass.

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 18, 2012, 09:30:52 PM
Quote from: gaaman24 on August 18, 2012, 07:30:59 PM

Nope...

Fully agree bannside. Half forward we were crying out for last 2 years! Best of luck to him and hopefully he plays a few more years for money glass.

Would actually be our best ball winner in  FF win. Won load of ball v Tipp but couldnt get turned to shoot bar one point.

Great servant. His best move was his show ball to left and go right shuffle. Did it for years to beat a man.

Some service he gave us.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Magicsponge

Quote from: chocoholic on August 19, 2012, 12:01:01 PM
St Teresa's beaten by Sarsfields - bit of a shock.
Gort beaten by Aghagallon.
St Enda's hammered by Aldergrove.

Seems at intermediate and Division 2 level, everyone can beat everyone.

Would have to fancy Aldergrove now for the IFC. Watched them play once, wasn't entirely impressed by them but they work really hard for each other and play an effective, if very boring, system.  Anyone know anything about them?  Thought I saw your man with the baldy head from Cargin on their line.

Yeah, JC from Cargin manages them. He seems to be doing really well with them. Apparently (so I heard anyway) earlier in the year in the O'Cahan cup and Aldergrove player reacted badly to being subbed and he decked JC, I don't think the players been seen since.

Milltown Row2

Any updates on the Old Firm game?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

glens abu

Atticus_Finch

St Galls 1-16 Creggan 1-8 FT

St Johns 0-12 Rossa 1-5 FT

St Galls now meet Cargin in semi; St Johns meet winners of St Brigids v Ahoghill replay.

Does anyone know when those games are likely to be played ?

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

jdyok

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"