Underage training

Started by trueblue1234, July 03, 2020, 11:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Starting to get involved with the underage training at the club. U8/ U10. I remember someone on here had shared a Underage coaching guide that was good but I can't find it now. I'm wondering would anyone remember it or still have the PDF? Prob a few years ago now.

TIA
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 03, 2020, 11:09:31 AM
Starting to get involved with the underage training at the club. U8/ U10. I remember someone on here had shared a Underage coaching guide that was good but I can't find it now. I'm wondering would anyone remember it or still have the PDF? Prob a few years ago now.

TIA

There is a planner on the GAA website for the lower age groups coaching which isnt a bad start.

https://learning.gaa.ie/planner/

Some St Johns Wort before hand as well.

trueblue1234

Cheers - Much appreciated

Mourne Red

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 03, 2020, 03:44:47 PM
Cheers - Much appreciated

I don't know if he's still selling it but if you want to Colm Nally released a good coaching manual if you can get your hands on it? A couple of coaches in my clubs bought it and from the glance I had through it it looked quite good

manfromdelmonte

Does anyone think its crazy the way GAA clubs are now offering training for 4 and 5 year olds? I mean some of them won't even be in school!

There is now huge competition to recruit players/members this young in our area and I find it baffling.

trailer

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 30, 2021, 01:58:34 PM
Does anyone think its crazy the way GAA clubs are now offering training for 4 and 5 year olds? I mean some of them won't even be in school!

There is now huge competition to recruit players/members this young in our area and I find it baffling.

Our club runs a program for this age group. Pointless trying to do any football stuff. They just play games as in tag and stuff.. not football games. Depends on what you're doing with them. If you trying to run a training programme well then forget about it, but of you're letting them run around and even free play then it's not a bad idea. 

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

We have always done it. Just games. There is an u6 hurling blitz in Derry

themac_23

my wee boy is 4 and he's started, its actually good, I really didn't want to send him but his mum signed him up and I took him last week for the first time. as someone already stated its mostly games running round lifting cones and stuff but they did do a bit with a ball just throwing it to each other etc, I was really impressed with the coaches, they were really good with the kids. my son loves it and cant wait for next week, with him being cooped up for so long its great to have him out interacting with other kids again.

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 30, 2021, 02:07:06 PM

And do the referees get boxed in the head at them as well?   ;D

We take in school kids but some are 4. An hour a week and the coaches are mad in the head IMO.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on April 30, 2021, 02:22:48 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 30, 2021, 02:07:06 PM

And do the referees get boxed in the head at them as well?   ;D

We take in school kids but some are 4. An hour a week and the coaches are mad in the head IMO.

Lol. haven't been at one yet, wouldn't be surprised. Ours is more like a run about, numbers were crazy last 2 weeks at that age ive been told, I think there is a danger at the age of 4-5 putting them off

manfromdelmonte

Children will soon not be able to do anything without it being organised or structured

It really is stifling their ability to create their own games, imagination and relieve their own boredom

Itchy

Quote from: trailer on April 30, 2021, 02:01:23 PM

Our club runs a program for this age group. Pointless trying to do any football stuff. They just play games as in tag and stuff.. not football games. Depends on what you're doing with them. If you trying to run a training programme well then forget about it, but of you're letting them run around and even free play then it's not a bad idea.

We have kids this young, they just out playing and having fun. No big deal if its done right.

trueblue1234

I've a boy just turned 4. He's at Gaelic start at the minute and loves it. All running, little football involved. But he absolutely loves it. Talks no none stop about his "football" every Saturday morning.
I think it's fantastic, and one of the things the GAA have improved greatly from my day.

Plus as a coach, this age group is a great way to get parents involved more with the club. Parents tend to stay around more to watch young Tommy or Katie than the older age groups were it's more of a case of dumping them off!! It's easily the best supported age group within the club for parent involvement. And there's a few parents who have progressed up to coaching as a result.

We can be very hard on the GAA at times and rightly so, but I think Gaelic start is something to be proud of. Or at least certainly in our club. In a environment when it can be a challenge to get heads out of phones/ iPads etc it's invaluable.

Rudi

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 04, 2021, 02:13:31 PM
I've a boy just turned 4. He's at Gaelic start at the minute and loves it. All running, little football involved. But he absolutely loves it. Talks no none stop about his "football" every Saturday morning.
I think it's fantastic, and one of the things the GAA have improved greatly from my day.

Plus as a coach, this age group is a great way to get parents involved more with the club. Parents tend to stay around more to watch young Tommy or Katie than the older age groups were it's more of a case of dumping them off!! It's easily the best supported age group within the club for parent involvement. And there's a few parents who have progressed up to coaching as a result.

We can be very hard on the GAA at times and rightly so, but I think Gaelic start is something to be proud of. Or at least certainly in our club. In a environment when it can be a challenge to get heads out of phones/ iPads etc it's invaluable.

+1, I am currently coach to an U15 team, have taken these boys from unstructured U6 right through the ranks. My youngest has just turned 4 & is involved with U6's, absolutely loves it (done 1 session / play date!) so far. The coaches, all 8 of them are great people, some have played inter county football & have coached successful teams within the club, the emphasis is on unstructured enjoyment, chasing butterflies & picking up flowers & a ball is sometimes in the mix too. Its great, smiles on faces everywhere. As you say anything that gets parents head out of their phones can't be bad.

johnnycool

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 04, 2021, 02:13:31 PM

Pre Covid we were very much "children play, parents stay" and were called in to man a station or whatever if the need arose. Table tennis bat with a bean bag balancing on it going round cones, that sort of shít.
Kids love it.

I'd run the dung out of them at the start just so you could control them better.. Races up and down our ballwall.  ;D