Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 29, 2022, 10:17:54 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 29, 2022, 09:58:18 PM
Great to see Derry win. Thought it had more than a breakthrough whiff of Armagh in 1999. Probably one more star forward, a MFer (or middle 8 player) and a goalie short of being genuine AI contenders. I'm sure McFaul is regretting his decision atm.

The year's not over for Donegal but surely its the end of an era regardless, hard to see Bonner returning,  Donegal have always seemed a bit timid and one dimensional under his direction. Will Murphy go or maybe even become Manager or Player manager?

I think Derrys downfall will be the lack of any star forwards.

I thought that would be our problem this year but scores have come from everywhere to be fair.

Shane McGuigan is absolutely a star forward btw!!

screenexile

Listening to a bit of the Sunday Game there and it was laughable. Gooch says that although the games are fierce but "not at all times there is a quality match on view and it doesn't translate to later in the Championship"

FFS!!! Yeah Munster and Leinster are full of quality games!!

oakleaflad

Quote from: andoireabu on May 29, 2022, 10:34:40 PM
Probably not great to watch on TV but it was brilliant to watch live. Where the TV focuses on the man holding the ball it doesn't show the off the ball effort that goes in. Thought derry played very well but need to tighten up on kickouts. Our own are a bit slow and obvious and they weren't switched on for Donegal's who got out too easy at times. Rogers is some athlete and Glass very composed. Would agree it was a penalty at the end but we will take our luck. Had forgotten what days in Clones were like but I'll be a long time forgetting this one. Looking forward to a good run now and to keep building.
Agree with all of that but thought the keeper was tackled in the small rectangle at the end and should have been a free out. Massive shift as mentioned. Was a great family day out and the scenes at the end show just how much it means.

Mario

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 29, 2022, 09:54:04 PM
People talking about murphy's age... he could never have tracked a boy like Rodgers. He's too big to cover that ground tbh. Tactically very astute by Gallagher to do that kind of match up. The counter was to plant murphy in ff and see what Rodgers was made of marking a targetman especially when he struggled so much with comer in the league.

Fear I thought that on Harte too but I am not sure how much canavan likes them either lol. It's well enough offset by niblock though.
I thought the same. I actually thought Murphy was moving well in the game and was nothing to do with age. Fact is very few can keep up with Rogers. He's one of the best Athletes in the gaa, what a player.

ONeill

That was a weird ball McBrearty played in when a point behind with 2 mins left in extra time. It sort of went against everything they'd been doing all game.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mario

Quote from: screenexile on May 29, 2022, 11:15:46 PM
Listening to a bit of the Sunday Game there and it was laughable. Gooch says that although the games are fierce but "not at all times there is a quality match on view and it doesn't translate to later in the Championship"

He says which is why teams from ulster haven't done that well in the later stages. Does he not remember who won the all ireland last year. All coverage I've listened to is why Donegal lost, not enough credit given to derry as its all put down to Gallaghers system. Fact is you need the players to execute it.

screenexile

Quote from: Mario on May 29, 2022, 11:57:15 PM

He says which is why teams from ulster haven't done that well in the later stages. Does he not remember who won the all ireland last year. All coverage I've listened to is why Donegal lost, not enough credit given to derry as its all put down to Gallaghers system. Fact is you need the players to execute it.

That will feed in well to the team and Gallagher "nobody outside the County is giving us any credit etc. etc."

Only he doesn't have to manufacture it there are plenty of clips and column inches he can use!

marty34

It seemsto be an anti-Ulster agenda driven by RTÉ for some reason.

Is Cavanagh the only Ulster pundit on it these days?

I watched the Dubs V Kildare yesterday and Kerry V Limerick and they were brutal games.  Games that were over after 10 mins.  There was no defending in them.

marty34

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 29, 2022, 11:51:25 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on May 29, 2022, 10:34:40 PM
Probably not great to watch on TV but it was brilliant to watch live. Where the TV focuses on the man holding the ball it doesn't show the off the ball effort that goes in. Thought derry played very well but need to tighten up on kickouts. Our own are a bit slow and obvious and they weren't switched on for Donegal's who got out too easy at times. Rogers is some athlete and Glass very composed. Would agree it was a penalty at the end but we will take our luck. Had forgotten what days in Clones were like but I'll be a long time forgetting this one. Looking forward to a good run now and to keep building.
Agree with all of that but thought the keeper was tackled in the small rectangle at the end and should have been a free out. Massive shift as mentioned. Was a great family day out and the scenes at the end show just how much it means.

No,I thought keeper fumbled the ball/lost possession and wrestled the player to the ground.

Should have been a penalty.

What a finish that would have been!

onefineday

Quote from: thewobbler on May 29, 2022, 05:52:06 PM
Quote from: Hound on May 29, 2022, 05:47:23 PM
I was watching on RTE. McStay is a gobshite. Absolute gobshite.

Switched over to BBC for the analysis, and it was great entertainment. Oisin talking through his hole re the black cards. Caravan and Harte both made reasonable arguments re the second one which could have been either yellow or black. But I think Mickey won the argument! Good banter between the lot of them and good analysis too.

More drama to come I'm sure.

Drama?

BBC has better pundits, no doubt.

But the fact that 35,000 people were silent like at a mass for the final 10 mins of a drawn final, tells you that mCstay is absolutely correct on this one.
The last ten mins were so incredibly tense, nobody dared make a noise. Say what you want about how the game was played, but it didn't lack drama.
I was at 2 provincial finals over the weekend and there was no comparison between them, the crowd was pretty quiet in croker too, but for different reasons.

onefineday

Quote from: clarshack on May 29, 2022, 06:19:10 PM
Derry will avoid Dublin and Kerry now as they'll be in the other half of the draw. Donegal have only themselves to blame as they should have kicked on after going ahead twice in the 2nd half. Fear crippled them.
Wouldn't fancy their chances of making much more progress, but it'll depend on the draw. Be better for Derry if they get nowhere near Dublin or Kerry this year, that might take the gloss of the year.
Need more upfront and need to inject the pace they did against Tyrone. Hope they can't meet Donegal again in the quarters, that would be nasty.

onefineday

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 29, 2022, 08:25:53 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on May 29, 2022, 07:56:06 PM
RTE coverage was ridiculous.  Yes, wasn't a great game but at least it was close all the way through.

The match was not pretty to the eye to the neutral (i.e. me!) and largely forgettable, but there tends to be to be an awful lot of self-flagellation among much of the GAA football fraternity where unless every intercounty championship game is an instant classic, then the game is in dire straits and only major overhauls/changes suggested by "oneself" (usually without any critical thinking as to the likely impact or practical enforcement of them) will do. A leaf should be taken out of their hurling counterparts where even the more pedestrian, uneventful games at top levels are given a damn good positive spin by its main pundits. The vast majority of top level soccer & rugby matches themselves tend to be grim, forgettable events on the field of play - but they're both excellent at hiding the negatives and accentuating the positives when they do happen. That's probably why the BBC coverage of the Ulster SFC is more positive/brighter in its presentation, even when they covering/just covered a dour game they don't bang the f**k on about it because the BBC NI Sports department isn't largely isolated from each other's codes compared to their RTE counterparts.
A lot of truth there, champions League finals are usually complete tosh, 1-0 the most common scoreline by far.
That said, if the rules allow the teams to play that game they played today, they're going to do so.
Soccer changed its rules, rugby constantly tinkers, so does NFL, rules have to adapt to tactical advances. I mentioned this at the start of the season on here and many disagreed, but it's not a sign of weakness or insecurity to adapt rules frequently, it's an opportunity to evolve the sport and make it a spectacle we can be proud of.

Wildweasel74

Shocking bad call for no black card issued for bringing down McGuigan, what was the ref watching.

sam03/05

Was a definite penalty - Hurson got away with no analysis of it last night on Sunday game as it was such a busy show. A hand round the neck is a foul / pen.

tyrone08

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 30, 2022, 02:13:01 AM
Shocking bad call for no black card issued for bringing down McGuigan, what was the ref watching.

Would disagree with that. It was a foul but it certainly wasn't a clear cut black card. The only shocking thing about it was how quick he got up and sprinted towards the ref to complain