Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

92 was a decent enough game, best Donegal played all year, no basketball like these days, you knew the worth of a defender as he had to mark one on one with no help.

Estimator

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 18, 2022, 10:30:29 PM
92 was a decent enough game, best Donegal played all year, no basketball like these days, you knew the worth of a defender as he had to mark one on one with no help.

Leaving the '92 result aside, I remember it being a decent enough game. 
Though, from memory, I think the result hinged on two first half incidents.
One involving Tohill, which lead to him leaving the pitch injured.  Would need to watch the highlights back, but I think he went to volley the ball clear, but Boyle (?) was bending in to gather it, Tohill tried to stop, but still connected with the Donegal man, injuring himself in the process.
The other was Cunningham's sending off, just before half time, for an attempted decapitation of McNicholl along the sideline, although in reality he wasn't even close. Coleman played the spare man, but given the nature of the game, a more experience player should have been given that role. 
There was also some debate about whether Downey's goal was square ball or not.
Ulster League Champions 2009

screenexile

imtommygunn

;D

Poor auld spoofer getting a bad touch there.

J70

McHugh's last point that day was genius.

The sending off was very costly for John Cunningham. He didn't make it back into the team at all that year after being first choice for ages. Barry McGowan, a half forward, was drafted in as a corner back and turned out to be brilliant at it.

That was the last time we used the green/gold hoop jersey as first choice. We went back to the yellow jersey for the Mayo semi and stayed with it since.

rrhf

Quote from: Estimator on May 19, 2022, 09:41:27 AM

One involving Tohill, which lead to him leaving the pitch injured.  Would need to watch the highlights back, but I think he went to volley the ball clear, but Boyle (?) was bending in to gather it, Tohill tried to stop, but still connected with the Donegal man, injuring himself in the process.
The other was Cunningham's sending off, just before half time, for an attempted decapitation of McNicholl along the sideline, although in reality he wasn't even close. Coleman played the spare man, but given the nature of the game, a more experience player should have been given that role. 
Was that the day it pished...

JoG2

Quote from: rrhf on May 19, 2022, 11:16:40 AM
Quote from: Estimator on May 19, 2022, 09:41:27 AM

Was that the day it pished...

The year before

screenexile

No.

Derry and Donegal were in both the 92 and 93 Ulster Finals.

It pished in 93!

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: screenexile on May 19, 2022, 11:28:04 AM
No.

Derry and Donegal were in both the 92 and 93 Ulster Finals.

It pished in 93!

Were Donegal in 4 ulster finals in a row? 90 - 93?

Estimator

The 12 Ulster Finals between the Derry/Donegal finals of '98 and '11, were won by either Armagh (7) or Tyrone (5). 

And in the 10 Finals since the 2011 game. Armagh haven't made an appearance in an Ulster Final and Tyrone have played 3 won 3.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Only Fermanagh have less Ulster titles than us. Derry are no powerhouse. Antrim havent won since the 50s though. Helps explain the hype

Loughshore2022

I think Derry should win this although I don't particularly care if they do or not, I suppose it would be good for my 6 year old nephew to see in his first Derry game. I am going anyway as it will be interesting to see what winning Ulster would actually be like, I've never witnessed it. After the 2000 final defeat my father rushed us out of the ground so I never saw the trophy presentation. I never went in 2011 as I had lost interest in football at that time.

Derryman forever

Hello, I am new here. Always had a keen interest in The gaelic football.  Used to be around Hoganstand as Derryman. And post on politics forums as derryman. Joined here some time ago but never posted , then forgot password and the email address used  is now gone so had to change my handle to join again.
Anyway, just want to say that I believe Derry has a good chance here. The occasion may overwhelm this young team and if they don't settle, and let Donegal set the pace they will be in trouble.
But here is hoping . I do feel there is something  about this Derry team.

Blowitupref

26,000 capacity for this Ulster final.

Gerry Arthurs Stand    
Adult   £30   € 35
Senior Concession   £20   € 25

Pat McGrane / Eastern Stand        
Adult   £25   € 30
Senior Concession   £17   € 20
Juvenile   £5   € 5

The Hill / O'Duffy Terrace       
Adult   £17   € 20
Juvenile   £5   € 5

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

p3427977

Looks to be not much available on Ticketmaster.